How many versions of Hollywood Swinging is there?

bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
So, the only one I can think of is Kool and the Gang's version.

Do you all know of any other versions that are dope?

Also, was Kool and the Gang the original artists of this song?

peas.

Comments

• In many major cites, especially DC, groups that played out at small clubs and parties tried to immitate K&TG and covered alot of their material. Needless to say then, alot of groups covered Hollywood Swingin' at parties and jams, but I can't think of any pressed recordings of direct covers offhand. K&TG's material didn't seem to be covered directly (on recordings) quite as often as the covers of the Meters, or the many songs re-interpreted in funk/soul like "Light my fire". The DC group East Coast Connection covered them all the time at clubs or parties, and on their "Summer in the Parks" 45 they even throw in a bit of a Kool and the Gang tune (as well as talk about um in on the track).

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    here's a cute little cover.. but other than this I can't think of any covers either. anyone?

http://www.rehashrecordings.com/mp3/hollywood%20swingin.mp3

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    K&TG's material didn't seem to be covered directly (on recordings) quite as often as the covers of the Meters, or the many songs re-interpreted in funk/soul like "Light my fire". The DC group East Coast Connection covered them all the time at clubs or parties, and on their "Summer in the Parks" 45 they even throw in a bit of a Kool and the Gang tune (as well as talk about um in on the track).

Black Heat covered "Love The Life You Live," and a (presumably) white rock group called Melting Pot redid "Kool & The Gang" on their Ampex LP. I'm thinking Funk, Inc. may have remade an early Kool song as well, but I'm not sure ("Kool Is Back?").

Anyway, it would be interesting to hear a "Hollywood Swinging" cover...the lyrics are fairly personal (at one point singer/keyboardist Ricky West talks about going to a Kool & the Gang show, but I guess any band could sub their own name for Kool's).

Funk Inc. remade an early Kool song as well, but I'm not sure ("Kool Is Back?").

yep. that's the one. k&tg has been covered many times. the Prestige covers come to mind, but Hollywood aint one of them.

Anyway, it would be interesting to hear a "Hollywood Swinging" cover...the lyrics are fairly personal (at one point singer/keyboardist Ricky West talks about going to a Kool & the Gang show, but I guess any band could sub their own name for Kool's).

eh just I posted a jazz dance type cover above.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

...and they did

the closest I could come to 'covers' of the tune would be the interpolation of that part that both Grandmaster Flash (Beat Street) as well as ODB (in one of his first album wigouts) used

• I don't have it in front of me, but at home
    I have a LP from a BR,LA "Special Education"
    school cut in 1980, on the Touchdown label.

Besides such head-turners as Rock Creek Park,
    they do a cover of Hollywood Swinging.

Now, this is a bit of an un-PC thing to say,
    but it is the "special-ed-ness" of ther singing
    that is so endearing. Very out-of-key, wierd,
    and above all, heart felt.
    If anyone is intrigued, I have doubles.

I don't have it in front of me, but at home

Marco posted a special class rendition of a James Brown tune here a while back

• "Special-Ed Class Funk": the New Modern Soul????

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Jamiroquai actually has a pretty good version, but it only appears on a CD in-store sampler they had about 8 years ago.

-k

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    thanks for the feedback y'all.

i liked that version you dropped high c. respect.

i'm saying, though, the original track by K&TG is just so damn fresh. prolly not "raer" enough for some of you...but that shit is just so nice. works real nice on the dance floor too.

cheers.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Funk Inc. remade an early Kool song as well, but I'm not sure ("Kool Is Back?").

yep. that's the one. k&tg has been covered many times. the Prestige covers come to mind, but Hollywood aint one of them.

Speaking of Prestige, Melvin Sparks covers "Who's Gonna Take the Weight" too.

KTG and Prestige are both from NJ right?

I need a copy of that Impossibles record with the cover of "Give It Up" and there's another version i'm listening to right now on this Egon mix at Stones Throw.calm (40:00 min. mark)

I need K&TG COVERS like it's cold outside

• BIG BOYS

• The Apollo Commanders do a live cover of "Let The Music Take Your Mind" on the Now Again 1970 Texas Pop Festival LP.

Jesse & the Mel-O-Tones do a sick version of Give It Up under the title "You Best Give It Up". It's on the "Phat Funk Vol. 1" comp.

There is a cover of "Good Times" under a different name on the orange Soul Patrol "natural funk killers" comp, but I can't remember the artist or title right now.

The Everday People rip off a lot of K&TG riffs.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts

I always thought the Everyday People were K&TG...

Anyone ever heard this?

O Incrivel MANITO plays KOOL AND THE GANG.

MANITO / Program 1 - NA BAIXADO SAPATEIRO 2 - KOOL AND THE GANG 3 - RAINDROPS KEEP FALLIN??? ON MY HEAD Prrogram 2 -1 - BAILAMOS COM BOOGALOO 2 - SOCK IT TO ???EM J.B. 3 - TUCKS THEME Program 3 ??? 1 - SHAKE, RATTLE AND ROLL - 2 - THE FUNKY JUDGE 3 - SAMURAI Program 4 - 1 - JUDGE BABY, I???M BACK 2 - THE GANGS BACK AGAIN 3 - YOU???VE MADE ME SO VERY HAPPY . RCAVICTOR STEREO 8 TRACKS. STILL FACTORY SEALED.

is that 8-track only ???

never heard of it...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I always thought the Everyday People were K&TG...

Seems like all the funk bands on De-Lite (and affiliated labels like Red Coach and Vigor) had that Gang-ish sound.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts

is that 8-track only ???

never heard of it...

I've never heard of it either, just saw the 8-track while navigating the straits of eBay and got curious.

odub has it featured soulstrut's own ish. says it's "not cheap." damn, who woulda thought?

• I don't have it in front of me, but at home

I suppose I should say, I stand corrected ha. I didn't know bout this cover above, I'd like to hear it......got an mp3? I realized that there are covers, I've got most of those mentioned. Many of the songs with kool and the gang influence sound like them, or are tributes to them, but are not direct covers. You all named good direct covers. Many people have sampled hollywood swinging but I wouldn't consider them all covers per say. So I guess my bad on sounding too cut and dry, there have been many covers recorded.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Madass props to Kool and the Gang(sters), one of the funkiest bands ever, that shit is sofuking street (gangsterstylee), unique sounding horn section, tight,... that band was laaarge back in the day (before the disco era), some funkbands tried to copy their sound, but there wasnt many cover versions done,... maybe because it was difficult for other bands to generate the same energy and feeling as in the original song...? (the same thing with JB)
    But the musicians was (for sure) inspired by K&tG,.. just a few weeks ago I was hanging out at my homeboys house, I was checking out his The Funky 16 Corners on StonesThrow (nice), and I noticed that one of the bands on this comp definitely had had their hands in the Kool cookie jar (horn-wise))))
    gotta run-
    Peace