the term "modern soul" !?

Comments

• Options

What did you call it in the 80s?

K.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I don't suppose you have one of these for sale?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Why is Willie Hutch in a heart necklace?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    God bless them though, silly genre classifications or not, they've been schooling Americans on Amercian music for decades.

Meanwhile, unconcerned Americans go on with making music for you guys to obsess about 15-20 years down the line.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I just wanted to say hi.

oh and I also wanted to say that in some silly tirade a few months ago I clearly listed what I thought modern soul was by year, sound, and gave examples.
    THIS IS THE ULTIMATE DEFINITION OF MODERN SOUL AND SHOULD NEVER BE QUESTIONED[/b]

Ok I'm going to say bye now

bye

• God bless them though, silly genre classifications or not, they've been schooling Americans on Amercian music for decades.

Meanwhile, unconcerned Americans go on with making music for you guys to obsess about 15-20 years down the line.

I'm sorry that was out of line.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Do keep on doin' it, please! We wouldn't know what to do without this great gift that was given birth to due to your great achievements in colonization and slavery.

• God bless them though, silly genre classifications or not, they've been schooling Americans on Amercian music for decades.

It should be pointed out that many obscure soul records were championed in the UK contemporaneous with their release, and not just years after the fact (or so I gather). Haven't UK dealers been rounding up U.S. soul records since at least the early 70's?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Do keep on doin' it, please! We wouldn't know what to do without this great gift that was given birth to due to your great achievements in colonization and slavery.

Yeah... Cause those things were invented or perfected by Americans...

But in anycase!

I'm starting a new Molder Soul Movement! Jump on board!!!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    God bless them though, silly genre classifications or not, they've been schooling Americans on Amercian music for decades.

It should be pointed out that many obscure soul records were championed in the UK contemporaneous with their release, and not just years after the fact (or so I gather). Haven't UK dealers been rounding up U.S. soul records since at least the early 70's?

this is the equivelent of a soul/ record nerds dick measuring contest. Who cares who popularized the music?

Fuck it the music is out there to be enjoyed, not to be broken down into the history of what fan found it first

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

And then some...

this is the equivelent of a soul/ record nerds dick measuring contest. Who cares who popularized the music?

Fuck it the music is out there to be enjoyed, not to be broken down into the history of what fan found it first

Guzzo, I hear what you're saying and agree to some extent. But I also think it's interesting to learn more about who was listening to what and when because it adds to historical context.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

First european collectro.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Yikes, I didnt really mean it in a bad way. Anyways you know its true.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Guzzo, I hear what you're saying and agree to some extent. But I also think it's interesting to learn more about who was listening to what and when because it adds to historical context.

yeah youre right and that wasn't a shot at you. I just think its silly when people get heated over arguments about who found someone elses work and try to make it seem like finding it was as important as the actual creation/ feel of the music

Yikes, I didnt really mean it in a bad way. Anyways you know its true.

It is.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

Actually, I couldn't agree more. The truly great sounds of the blues and jazz could only be American (and as George Carlin said: "All music is the blues").
    My point is that Americans suffer from a throw-away culture. The UK is widely responsible for the proliferation and exposure of so much US black music - but never tried to claim it as their own.
    I have many US friends who DJ/deal/collect and STILL have to go to the UK to find the obscure US pieces.

On a side note, has anyone ever read thee interview with John Anderson in Big Daddy (Vol 8)? Amongst the things he talks about are finding PALETTES of sealed Marva Whitney LPs in the warehouses in the late 70s. Imagine that now...

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I can't be bothered to read this thread. Did anyone mention hair products yet? What about the post-oil-crisis dissipation of grassroots political consciousness and the appropriation of soul music by consumer culture and its portrayals of the American Dream?

Here's another board's def of ModeN Soul they are talking about "neo funk"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

But in anycase!

I'm starting a new Molder Soul Movement! Jump on board!!!

can we get a krs-one of modern soul to invent the four elements of modern soul?

it's bigger than
    modern
    soul
    modern
    soul
    modern
    soul
    modern
    soul

• Yeah, the throw-away bit really sucks from the artists' point of view. If don't happen to strike rich in a few years or be born a Stevie Wonder, you're just doomed to wither away. People in the UK are actually responsible for adding years to the careers of several american musicians and singers. For that they deserve respect.
    On an other note, without the throw-away part the music wouldn't keep evolving to these interesting directions it has up to now.

• spcspc 534 Posts

Actually, I couldn't agree more. The truly great sounds of the blues and jazz could only be American (and as George Carlin said: "All music is the blues").
    My point is that Americans suffer from a throw-away culture. The UK is widely responsible for the proliferation and exposure of so much US black music - but never tried to claim it as their own.
    I have many US friends who DJ/deal/collect and STILL have to go to the UK to find the obscure US pieces.

On a side note, has anyone ever read thee interview with John Anderson in Big Daddy (Vol 8)? Amongst the things he talks about are finding PALETTES of sealed Marva Whitney LPs in the warehouses in the late 70s. Imagine that now...

That was like reading a good night story

• oh and I also wanted to say that in some silly tirade a few months ago I clearly listed what I thought modern soul was by year, sound, and gave examples.
    THIS IS THE ULTIMATE DEFINITION OF MODERN SOUL AND SHOULD NEVER BE QUESTIONED[/b]

and here is a visual aid:

• Options

I don't suppose you have one of these for sale?

Sold my last copy to Dimitri when he was at my place. You heard it on the comp or a mix?

K.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    You heard it on the comp or a mix?

No, it just looks mind-blowing. I am always down for versions of "Black Skin Blue Eyed Boys," and "Homely Girl" is a favorite of mine. Is "Whip It" the Dazz Band song?

• Options

No, it just looks mind-blowing. I am always down for versions of "Black Skin Blue Eyed Boys," and "Homely Girl" is a favorite of mine. Is "Whip It" the Dazz Band song?

Yeah, it's a boogie version of the Eddie Grant classic (and inna disco style no less) - Dimitri put it on his last comp. "Whip It' is the Dazz Band tune and rather ill, IMO. I'll come calling if I drop by another.

Oh, there's a cover too, but I keep all my DJ records in a seperate 12" jacket with both the cover and jacket slipped into plastic.

I'll give a sample clip when I get home from the library.

Kevin.

• 70's Disco --> 80's Boogie --> 90's House

Yes!

Disco: Yeah you know what it is..

Disco Funk: Uptempo funk with a disco feel

Modern Soul: Late 70s soul with 10% disco?

Boogie: A slower disco groove with a heavier back beat (early 80s)

Post Punk/No Wave (punkfunk): Disco/New Wave crossover with influences by Free Jazz...

Disco Rap: Early rapping over a disco beat

Electro-disco: Early 80s disco with an electro sound, but not slow and heavy like boogie..

80s Funk: Not disco, not boogie, but more like funk with an 80s sound?

Neo Soul/Funk: 90s-00s funk and soul?

Boogie Strut: Boogiefunk with extra added struts

Deep-fevered cisco-disco: Rare techno-groove with protorap and sitar beat

Inverted Post Modern Neo-soul:

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    70's Disco --> 80's Boogie --> 90's House

Yes!

Post Punk/No Wave (punkfunk): Disco/New Wave crossover with influences by Free Jazz...

Electro-disco: Early 80s disco with an electro sound, but not slow and heavy like boogie..

Not a bad addition to the body of research/bullshit on this board.
    I think the late 70s def of Modern Soul is problematic as it leaves no room for

He's definitely the book-end of some sort of era, just before the era of Jam & Lewis.

• 70's Disco --> 80's Boogie --> 90's House

Yes!

So where does Hustle music fit in... If you really want to be completist.

I've got some shelves, some records, a marker & some cardboard here & wanna use them...
    Is old school hip hop pre-86..? Where shall I put Run DMC???
    Oh the dilemmas of being a record nerd.

• Options

Black Skinned Blue Eye Boys and Whip It

K in Canada.

• delete