12:41 SUCCESS IS THE WORD 12" from 1985

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Is this the 1st appearance of KRS-One? Or did one of those other little 12"s before the "South Bronx" 12" come out prior to this?

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Is this the 1st appearance of KRS-One? Or did one of those other little 12"s before the "South Bronx" 12" come out prior to this?

I'm pretty sure, but not 100 percent definitely sure, that's the first one. I think I read in an interview with him several years back that he said that was his first appearance on wax.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    that was the first record that i used for a dance routine i made for our group in 91. the cats from the bullet proof scratch hamsters (pre that name by a few years... mostly eddie def and frank dj cue cuevas made the mix) put this together for me.

i dont even know if i have the original tapes from all those dance competitions...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

This came out way before SOUTH BRONX 12". My boy got that in a record pool.
    Shit iz whack, but its KRS & D-Nice. That Fresh record version is the Re-issue.
    The one my boy owns is a white/navy label. If I recall.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Damn, I never knew that was a second issue... for some reason, I always thought Kurtis Mantronik had some involvement with that record.

But yeah, you're right, it's mostly only interesting as a historical artifact.

• Is this the 1st appearance of KRS-One? Or did one of those other little 12"s before the "South Bronx" 12" come out prior to this?

Damn, I never knew that was a second issue... for some reason, I always thought Kurtis Mantronik had some involvement with that record.

But yeah, you're right, it's mostly only interesting as a historical artifact.

That track was received really well here in the UK when it dropped.
    Its was at the top of the Groove Hip Hop Sales Chart (basically a chart compiled by main outlet for hip hop in London/UK Groove records for the legendary hip hop on Capitol Radio).

I think most 30 something???s who were into hip hop at the time on this side of the pond consider ???Success??? to be double def fresh (at least that).

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

That track was received really well here in the UK when it dropped.
    Its was at the top of the Groove Hip Hop Sales Chart (basically a chart compiled by main outlet for hip hop in London/UK Groove records for the legendary hip hop on Capitol Radio).

I think most 30 something???s who were into hip hop at the time on this side of the pond consider ???Success??? to be double def fresh (at least that).

Damn, that's pretty interesting.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I got one of these if yall need it.

• John Peel used to drop this one.
    Which kind of shows how on the ball he was.

• Is this the 1st appearance of KRS-One? Or did one of those other little 12"s before the "South Bronx" 12" come out prior to this?

I'm pretty sure, but not 100 percent definitely sure, that's the first one. I think I read in an interview with him several years back that he said that was his first appearance on wax.

Rule of thumb: never take an artist"s word for anything when it comes to a discography. They're almost always wrong.

I don't which came first, this or the 12" on Street Beat. The latter is from 1986, but might have been recorded earlier.