BRIAN ENO SELLING ALL HIS GEAR, GOING COMPUTER

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

from the Eno article in last month's Sound on Sound:
    "Despite his reservations about computer recording, Eno has now decided to go further into the computer only world and sell his studio... "
    # posted by Anonymous : 5:50 PM

Native Instruments lists him as a user of FM-7, and he thanks them in the liner notes of his new cd, so he probably found it much easier to program than the DX-7.

I'd love to hear what he wrote in the personal notes he's writing to each buyer.
    # posted by Anonymous : 7:42 PM

Great!.. a dx7 and a bunch of lameass sinewave patches with a little lfo..is he throwing in the h3000/4000 that made it actually sound cool?

what is this? 'stars dump their hardware finally month'?
    # posted by cap pugwash : 12:01 PM

what is that blue thing in the top left corner?
    # posted by Anonymous : 5:22 PM

Thats the DX-7 programmer.
    # posted by Anonymous : 5:24 PM

What the hell are you talking about? DX7 was, *and still is* a great instrument.
    # posted by Anonymous : 5:53 PM

Makes this place look like Shangri-La!

• The DX7 is a nightmare, and this is coming from somebody who still owns a TX-81Z!

• I wonder how much he got for his "Ambient Sound" pots & pans collection.

• Man, If I had that pile of crap I would be selling it as well.
    (insert I just finished hooking up my MS20 and 50 expander module to the 2 borrowed system 100 Doepers this afternoon icon here).
    DX is still pretty awesome if you are a good programmer.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    dude, dx7 is madddd old. I fuck with alot of computer stuff, but the latency is still a problem for me. Even on a dual processor g5 and shit. As soon as they fix that, and give me an easy and FAST way to flip through sounds, im all about it for synths/

• slushslush 691 Posts
    i love my dx7
    and the keys dont even work anymore

• slushslush 691 Posts
    someone please spot me on one of these:

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    id rather have a dx7 than the fm7 anyday...

i hate softsynths, the sound is never convincing and they put too much strain on my poor old computer.

that said the operator synth in ableton is pretty freakin sick.. but again i hate runnign midi channels.. i can run like 24+ tracks of recorded hardwear synths before my computer starts acting wonky for like 3 midi tracks.. and you have to put about a dozen effects and eq's on the midi channels to get them to sound anywear as good as one shitty REAL synth.

• Dubious...
    I think a big part of running softsynth stuff lies in the DA/AD converter you use. I was fucking with a lot of the Native Instruments stuff running in ProTools, and recently switched to just bypassing the hardware with a professional AD/DA... shit sounds WAY better. I still think the softsynths are a long way off in terms of just pushing the weight that a good Analog synth can, but for drafting and convience they are getting close.