early in tha week digs

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Schnipper, just keep your eyes peeled. There's still distributor stock of the Mary recordings floating around, and they pop up in NYC from time to time.

Bizzo, that one's so dope. WAY better than Zoning imo. I pretty much am down for anything she's done.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    Schnipper, just keep your eyes peeled. There's still distributor stock of the Mary recordings floating around, and they pop up in NYC from time to time.

Bizzo, that one's so dope. WAY better than Zoning imo. I pretty much am down for anything she's done.

Paycheck, you see any of those, please get them and I will cry and be real nice to you. And give you records

PS Yesterday I was happy to finally find a very clean copy of Salt of the Earth for 50 cents, along with a few other LPs for the same price.

• There was an ultra cool biography of mary lou on NPR a month or two back.

• LPs

Also...

Willie Mitchell-Robin's Nest (HI)

Dorothy Love Coates & Gospel Harmonettes-Till My Change Comes (Nashboro)

45s

Ernie Hawks & Soul IGs-Soulful Trip pt.1 & 2 (Club)

Lyndon-I Love My Baby (HI) Never seen or heard of this!

Bobby Powell-Love Man (Whit)

Harold Griffin & Explosions-Movin Much Too Fast pt.1 & 2 (Bama)

Gospel Ensamble-Straighten Up (Philwood)

Travelling Allstars-He's Sweet I Know/I'll Fly Awy (D-Vine Spirituals) My new favorite Memphis Gospel...This shit is G!

And bought my 5th copy of "Soul Finger" thinking it was "Green Onions" on Volt. I was out in the sun too long.

Also...thought some Strutters might want this...we only have one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8303195634&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

• It looks like Wayne was on some Dallas steez at that time.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    -Quinn Harris "Statements"
    Unknown 2nd Quinn Harris LP. Anybody know the deal? Several great tracks. "Supernatural Thing" being the standout. His flute is always on point.

Scan/audio please

• -Quinn Harris "Statements"
    Unknown 2nd Quinn Harris LP. Anybody know the deal? Several great tracks. "Supernatural Thing" being the standout. His flute is always on point.

Scan/audio please

Gangsta

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    -Quinn Harris "Statements"

Glad you're enjoying it. I thought the entire thing was pretty good.

I haven't posted up finds/trades/ebaypurchases in a little bit, but that's because I don't do that much digging anymore. However, here are the highlights of what I've obtained over the last few weeks:

that gandalf is pretty raer no? damn

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Let me holler at that gandalf.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    my fave dig of late has been Roy Ayers "love will bring us back together" promo 12" on Polydor. it's from the "fever" lp and is just killer...i think it might be raer on 12"...not sure. but damn it's hot.

rubbishvisual...what is that white-label RCA 12"?

• Yeah that Roy Ayers tune is nice!! i have it on a UK 12" on the Urban label it has 3 tracks on it "Sweet tears", "Love will bring us back together" and "Cant you see mee" cool 12" never seen the promo nice find.

My cheap finds today and some other stuff from over the weekend:

12's
    BYRD DONALD - LOVE HAS COME AROUND - ELEKTRA 1981 -
    DEEP BROS - YOU GOT IT - AZULI RECORDS 1997
    MASEKELA HUGH - DON'T GO LOSE IT BABY - JIVE 1984
    MASSIVE ATTACK - UNFINISHED SYMPATHY -
    MORY KANTE - YE KE YE KE - BARCLAY 1987
    NIRVANA - SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT -GEFFEN 1991
    ROCKERS REVENGE - WALKING ON SUNSHINE - ARIOLA
    TEN CITY - DEVOTION - ATLANTIC 1989 -
    TEN CITY - RIGHT BACK TO YOU - ATLANTIC 1988 -
    YOUNG & CO - I LIKE (WHAT YOU'RE DOING TO ME) - RAMS HORN 1980
    CENTRAL LINE - WALKING INTO SUNSHINE Larry Levan Mix- MERCURY 1981 -
    SURFACE - HAPPY - COLUMBIA

LP's
    Bossa Brassilia Band With Letty de Jong - CAPI LUX
    Rare Dutch LP with nice covers of known tracks like
    MAS QUE NADA / SAMBA PA TI / WAVE / TRISTEZA / DINDY

Sergio Mendes - Love Music - BELL
    Double Exposure - ten percent - Salsoul
    Rita Reys and Rogier Van Otterloo - George gershwin songbook
    Brothers Johnson - s/t

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts

Picked up this record, VSS - Nervous Circuits, on the way home from the computer lab. I traded this away a few years ago to a friend for a Crom Tech LP I never listen to. I don't know why I did that. This record is so good. RDonkeys, where you at? This is my shit

also picked up new Killah Kuts with Diamonds and Get Loose (label says Get Lose.) Got a free copy of the new Daft Punk 12" (Maximum Overdrive mix is ridiculous), and a free copy of the My Chrome 12" song is nice. yesterday I also got this real nice Mirwais 12" from the dollar bin at Crooked Beat. Fairly mediocre Jacques Lu Cont mix on there. The acoustic guitars on the original mix are serious as hell

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Had a nice 1-2 punch today, hooked up some true gold at one of the local spots on lunchbreak, and came home to find an eBay package (finally) waiting for me...not feelin' headz who put your records in the mail 16 days after you pay for the auction, but this was a nice hook-up where I got all of these cheap buy-it-now, with the 5th one giving me free (slow) shipping:

...finally got tired of watching my hommies pull this for pennies in front of me, while I can't find it anywhere...some dollarbincommons just ain't common in your own private world...

...the Fred Hughes was sealed...

AND, the local spot come up was lovely, on some early-week-new-arrival shit...I got this for a mindbending $1.99[/b], and after confirming it was straight VG++, and a true OG, I started looking around for the Candid Camera crew:

also copped a beat cover clean vinyl copy of a record I never[/b] see (nojpeg):

I am My Brother's Keeper - David & Jimmy Ruffin - Soul 1969[/b]
    listening to it now, it's dope...

got a double of Wild & Peaceful[/b] for $3...

And finally, a QUESTION for all y'all, I finally, after years and years of peekin' in bins for it, came up on this one, and for cheap, too, but I gotta ask, I have always only known this album to have THIS cover:

But the one I copped today has THIS cover:

do any headz knowz the dealz with the two covers? Like which one is tha OG, etc? Just curious, but it sounded so sweet on my turntable, good music is worth waiting for...

• rookrook 357 Posts

do any headz knowz the dealz with the two covers? Like which one is tha OG, etc? Just curious, but it sounded so sweet on my turntable, good music is worth waiting for...

oens on kudu, the other is on cti, since kudu came after cti, id imagine taylor thought it was necessary for a rerealese or summat, im sure a strutter got more info

• RDonkeys, where you at?

VSS is for real. why the fuck did they reform as 'pleasure forever' what a fucking gay name. and by gay i mean homosexual. nervous circuits is dope though. some unfortunate art direction, that paul van dyk looking cover is probably the main reason that shit only sold like 16 copies.

oens on kudu, the other is on cti, since kudu came after cti, id imagine taylor thought it was necessary for a rerealese or summat, im sure a strutter got more info
    only, that top image is misleading cause I just google image-searched it, and that's the CD cover, which has the CTI logo. The original LP with that cover was on Kudu, just like mine:

I guess I am on nerd overload, but it's just one of those things, I really want to knowz the dealz...

• some unfortunate art direction, that paul van dyk looking cover is probably the main reason that shit only sold like 16 copies.

uuhhh... that cover is sweet (perhaps you prefer a generic sunset?). The VSS was on some technocratic subterfuge rock shit... Angel Hair was also magnificent.

• More like end of the week...

45s
    First Company-Same Old Thing / Sho Is Bold (Active) Memphis psych funk baller!
    Mudmen-They're In Love (Action) Memphis garage raer!
    Eddie Floyd-Big Bird (Stax) Bangin!

78s
    Midnighters-Let Em' Roll / What Made You Change Your Mind (Federal)
    Ruth Brown-(MAMA)He Treats Your Daughter Mean (Atlantic)

LPs
    January Tyme (Enterprise) Psych Enterprise?

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    james Brown[/b]- got the feelin'
    Harvey mandel[/b]-baby batter
    black mass[/b]- lucifer
    huh. i wasn't aware satan is a big tangerine dream fan

Rufus Thomas[/b]- doin' the push & pull live at pj's
    Tim maia racional[/b]- v.2
    yep. no $ for food again this month

gal costa[/b]
    cesar mariano & the fbi[/b]- sao paulo
    kisa[/b]- shout
    fat mattress[/b]- s/t
    undisputed truth[/b]- cosmic truth
    it is true that most truths that are undisputed are indeed cosmic and shit dude

les mccann[/b]- talk to the people
    yvonne fair[/b]- the bitch is black
    motown's answer to betty davis?

new birth[/b]- birth day
    heaven & earth[/b]- refuge
    i usually don't go this way, but the blond is much cuter, in this case

osmosis[/b]- s/t
    was surprised to see charlie mariano in this

phil medely[/b]- happy feet
    john payne band[/b]- bedtime stories
    take it or leave it local press jazz funk breaks

frederick[/b]- frederick
    my only foray into modern soul thus far. worth about zilch

don covay[/b]- super dude 1
    arbors[/b]- i can't quit her/ the letter
    HARMONIZED VOCAL PHRASING!!! just what i always wanted in a "hey joe" cover!

• black mass[/b]- lucifer
    huh. i wasn't aware satan is a big tangerine dream fan

You couldn't have put it better!

osmosis- s/t
    was surprised to see charlie mariano in this

I just got this last weekend...it looked really promising, but I was a little bummed out by it. Couple of good tracks, though...they just kind of go nowhere...

I think Mariano was out of Boston, right? That's where this group is from.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

I think Mariano was out of Boston, right? That's where this group is from.

It wouldn't surprise me, a lot of the stuff in the pile i pulled was around boston, but this was on rca so i'm not sure w/ distribution if it mattered much.

but yeah, berkley= musicians

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    hows that Ronnie Kole trio doggie?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    it's pretty cool. theres a few groovy, kinda funky cuts. theres also a pretty nice drum break. i like it

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Yeah, that Ronnie Kole is nice. I kind of wish I'd held onto my copy.

A few goodies in the mail today, courtesy of Strut's own Family Lotusland[/b], via GEMM:

..finally get this one, been looking for a while...amazing price too.

the first side of this record is a mess, the second side is SICK and a full album unto itself!!

another long time want socked away...gotta say, this was the second rare LP I had shipped to me in the past week without an inner sleeve...not even angry so mucg as confused?? most of these songs sound so much better than they did in the movie (cheap VHS?), this LP has some serious heat...except for that "we'll go to the zoo" song. that shit is gay. in both the slang and real sense of the word.

lotusland came thru, though - represent.

Also grabbed this one on lunch break, waffled too much about buying it, but was rewarded when I played it, it was much better than I expected:

there's one on the bay now for $4 wit no bids(noprofit)...oh n it's got a Common sample or something...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Yeah, that Ronnie Kole is nice. I kind of wish I'd held onto my copy.

I was gonna buy your copy on ebay too but i spaced it

I'm hoping to check out more of this dudes collection later on tonight (mandatory "ayo!"). We'll see how that goes. I have a feeling he's sitting on some decent stuff.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    This is what I bought today. Would have posted it earlier, but I had to make sure I posted them at Stones Throw first:

RICK ROCK PRESENTS: FEDERATION "THE ALBUM"

BEANIE SIGEL - THE REASON

BEANIE SIGEL - THE B. COMING

BEANIE SIGEL - WANTED (ON THE RUN) 12"

CAM'RON PRESENTS THE DIPLOMATS - DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY 2xLP

TURF TALK - IT'S AH SLUMPER 12"

FEDERATION - HYPHY 12"

FEDERATION - GO DUMB 12"

ALL NEW, ALL FOR $30.00 BITCHES!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    RICK ROCK PRESENTS: FEDERATION "THE ALBUM"

is your copy dirty? i've only seen clean versions...