MIXTAPES,... WHERE ARE YOU?

planlessplanless 819 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
everybody knows that the mixtape market is overflooded. and the problem is that 99% of it are tapes/cds that
don??t deserve the good old title "mixtape". every rapartist collect their average shit together and put it on a mixtape.
and mostly there is no dj work involved.
maybe i??m the only one who hates this but mostly they rhyme over played out instrumentals and ...they can??t top the original.

so, who was the inventer of this bullshit? who knows more + say your opinion

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    everybody knows that the mixtape market is overflooded. and the problem is that 99% of it are tapes/cds that
    don??t deserve the good old title "mixtape". every rapartist collect their average shit together and put it on a mixtape.
    and mostly their is no dj work involved.
    maybe i??m the only one who hates this but mostly they rhyme over played out instrumentals and ...they can??t top the original.

so, who was the inventer of this bullshit? who knows more + say your opinion

No offense, dude, but you do understand that the general mixtape buying public has no interest in funky fresh scratchin' don't you?

These days DJ pyrotechnics are a niche appeal type of thing.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

hey, yelling WHOOOOOOOOOOOO KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID and dropping gun claps takes alot of work!

BUT you have to give it up to the mixtape dudes that really dont do alot of work on the tapes but PULL THAT YAPER ALLL DAY.

• and mostly there is no dj work involved.

hey, yelling WHOOOOOOOOOOOO KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID and dropping gun claps takes alot of work!

BUT you have to give it up to the mixtape dudes that really dont do alot of work on the tapes but PULL THAT YAPER ALLL DAY.

Getting exclusives and freestyles on your tape does take a lot of work...

• The ideal mix to me would be a combination of classic and contemporary...

Something like a ced gee scratch megamix and a mistah fab freestyle on the same CD.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

i can get every exclusive that whooo kid has on his tape in 30 minutes, tops

i agree though, it takes alot of work to get there, but once your there it doesnt necessarily. and by there i mean on the radio, or "known" in the streets. but i can go to any shitty ass rap forum and download all the mase and lloyd banks g-unit exclusives with no dj on them. throw them on a cd and put gun shots on them, and sell them for 10 bucks a pop...

• and mostly there is no dj work involved.

i can get every exclusive that whooo kid has on his tape in 30 minutes, tops

i agree though, it takes alot of work to get there, but once your there it doesnt necessarily. and by there i mean on the radio, or "known" in the streets. but i can go to any shitty ass rap forum and download all the mase and lloyd banks g-unit exclusives with no dj on them. throw them on a cd and put gun shots on them, and sell them for 10 bucks a pop...

Well, It's really not that easy to get all those exclusives continually. But you have a point.

The most important points are that you have to carve yourself a niche and a name in the market, and that mixtape buyers don't care about scratches or finesse.

Mixtape buyers just want to get a cd for 5 bucks (nyc price).

The trick is appealing to the broadest amount of people with the songs on one cd. Whoo Kid isn't really about bringing a wide range of exclusives, he just presents the most recent songs from his crew, like the Dipset tapes. These crews also have a name, which might help more than anything. Someone like Clue is more about exclusives.

There's also theme cds like beef songs, old school tracks, or Houston rap for instance. I think you get the point.

For the dude who started this thread, you should check www.turntablelab.com for good dj cds.

• anyone here make mixtape/cd cover art? I have been reading a forum where most of the kids making the covers you/we see hang out at and they are cranking out these covers in like 15-20 minutes for like $100 a pop. Not bad for some side money w/ little effort.

• that??s another problem, most covers of these "mixtapes" look the same. same fonts, same style,...
    well, most of your mentioned kids use the same PSD file, montony to the fullest

• that??s another problem, most covers of these "mixtapes" look the same. same fonts, same style,...

yeah they are all the fucking same no doubt. but the sad thing is..it seems that is what everyone likes/wants.

yeah they are all the fucking same no doubt. but the sad thing is..it seems that is what everyone likes/wants.

very true. I used to design CD covers at a dupe house in the Mission in SF (Olde West RIP) and when guys would come in with their mixes and demos they'd all want the same thing....bad type (blackletter set on an arc with crazy dropshadows, etc), bay bridge blowing up, people holding cash, etc., etc...most clients won't be into thinking about doing something different than the next guy, so I was just in "give the customer what they want" mode and cranked them out...

but just once I wanted to say, "hey man, that blowin up the bay bridge is pretty sweet, but how bout somethin like this?"

great record btw

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    green lantern is one of the only 'contemporay' djs that puts scratching and skills on his cds.don't know why spinbad dosen't make more mixes.that dude could kill everyone with his style.

• yea im not really diggin the new type of mixtapes..but no joke..people really like them ..i think its cuz they always have "the new hotness"..i dont really care for the new hotness really..but theres always going to be someone out there who will buy it...and plus nobody who gets the mixtape for the songs cares about the skill that was used to put it together

• and another problem: i know a store where spinbad??s rock the casbah laid 2 years in the vitrine. nobody cared about it, also babu??s comprehension was another shopkeeper. tztz, really sadly

• green lantern is one of the only 'contemporay' djs that puts scratching and skills on his cds.don't know why spinbad dosen't make more mixes.that dude could kill everyone with his style.

big co-sign on dude. He's the closest thing to being in the middle: classic dj skills with all the "exclusive" and "yelling" that validates Faux life.

SF needs a "5 dollar" mix-cd spot.