Fuck, what's happening to my turntables?

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I was just playing a record and the pitch started going haywire. I pushed the stop button and there was a very loud and audible rumbling noise. What could be happening? Technic 1200's and a Rane TTM54 mixer.

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    apocalypse?

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Who knows maybe somekind of power surge. Never heard of such a thing. Good luck.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    Who knows maybe somekind of power surge. Never heard of such a thing. Good luck.

This summer, during one 90+ degree day in NYC my vestax 06 mixer started making a low frequency humming sound. I spent two days messing with everything I could - plugs, gounding, electric loops, etc. before decided I must just need to get a new one since mine is 4 or 5 years old. We had lost power recently and I figured it had something to do with that. Then I tried to make something in my microwave and after several minutes it was still pretty cold, clueing me in to a brownout I had not noticed. Only then did I notice that my lights seemed a bit dimmer than normal. Sure enough, when power was back to normal the mixer was fine, and still is.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I had the problem before and it could be many different things. Somehow the voltage switch under the platter could have been moved if the table was dropped or tapped hard somehow. They have a 220 switch for the UK or I believe a 120 for the US or whatever it is. I had it switched to the wrong one once and it was hilarious how the records were sounding, just like dj screw! Another time I had my table straight buggin' out. I was scratching and when I stopped it just kept scratching like there was a ghost deejaying or some shit! The magnets in the center ring inside were off setting each other and causing this to happen.