Grown-up soul albums (30+ strutters only)

2»

Comments

• You are a clown. She was called the female preacher because she was down with James Brown. And guess what they called James Brown? The preacher. I was trying to give you a hit. The rob base record, it takes two is a sample from her. And theirs a eric b and rakim record that has her sample. Not to mention lil Kim.

BAN. Please, lord, somebody.... BAN. Right now.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    You know, I never really understood what people liked about James Brown - I picked up a couple of albums when I was digging in the dusty fingers crates - one was called 'Gravitation' or something, and the other was 'Live in America' but neither had any killer breaks - am I missing something????. I guess I gotta keep looking. I'll remember this Lynn Colins for the next time I'm in the dollar bins though - thanks for that.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    You are a clown. She was called the female preacher because she was down with James Brown. And guess what they called James Brown? The preacher. I was trying to give you a hit. The rob base record, it takes two is a sample from her. And theirs a eric b and rakim record that has her sample. Not to mention lil Kim.

sorry to spoil the fun, but i can't stand watching someone with no clue for this long.

chrysler: everyone on here knows who lyn collins is. you are clowning yourself by thinking they don't.

of course, chrysler could very well be an alias that is just trying to clown everyone.

ok, sorry.

• I agree with this guy. But who is the guy who likes KEM. He not a crate digger that's for shure. And why are you trying to bring race into this. I am over thirty and Orange. Is that a good color for you?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    You are a clown. She was called the female preacher because she was down with James Brown. And guess what they called James Brown? The preacher. I was trying to give you a hit. The rob base record, it takes two is a sample from her. And theirs a eric b and rakim record that has her sample. Not to mention lil Kim.

BAN. Please, lord, somebody.... BAN. Right now.

No way!

preach, Chrysler! Preach! Go hard now, you got Phil on the ROPES!

• I agree with this guy. But who is the guy who likes KEM. He not a crate digger that's for shure. And why are you trying to bring race into this. I am over thirty and Orange. Is that a good color for you?

I love you.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Knowledge being dropped. Lots of owe all to Lynn Collins.

Chrysler has an
    and in the trunk.

Could it be that a self banned strutter can't stay away?

• How dare you put this KEM guy in the mist of Marvin Gaye and Donny Hathaway. Go get you some real soul and buy Lynn Colins or something. Oh yeah that right you don't know who Lynn Collins is.

Is this Lynn Collins related to this guy?

On the down-low, you should scoop up this RARE LP.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    30+ here. i'm really into these r&b albums, all relatively new compared to whats been brought up.

maxwell

jill scott

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I can???t think of a contemporary r&b/soul record I like from start to finish, but these, which are not even recent, come to mind as more solid than not.

This is a great record, IMO.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Did anyone mention Musiq? I like Juslisen.

Note: For the record, I'm not 30+.

• this album has been growing on me at an astonishing rate and I think to myself, am I getting old or what?
    Not that it's a 'grownup sound' but I think it takes a little time to appreciate, or maybe it is a grown folks sound, I don't know. not that it deals with real grown folks issues, but this album's pretty damn good. I don't know what I'm saying. Bottom line: this album is good.

NO I disagree!!!!!!!

It's better than good:) Such a masterpiece if you're into souljazzfunk/rare grooves. Few records are as good as this in my oppinion. I'm 21 but still all up on this LP. I'm not sure you have to be old to appreciate this LP:)

• before all this put it on a compilation bootleg then reissue everything then cd everything then mp3 everything baloney that goes on nowadays, when all that existed was digging, this was a hard and expensive lp, and it took me years to track one down that wasn't gonna cost me a weeks wages. when i finally did get it through some pretty heart wrenching trades that went out, i punched the air, and went out and got blind drunk to celebrate getting my nomber one want after a long wait. words cannot describe how individual and great this lp is. anyone under 30 will may not get what a great feeling it was to find these records, no internet in those days for your easy wad blowing on tha bay. you guys got it easy nowadays ;-) ;-) ;-)

• james mason ...incredible, since cats are picking this jazz/ soul lp:
    roy ayers/ pick one!
    donald byrd/ ...
    j.r.bailey..
    delegations/
    marvin gaye/ troubleman ost
    lenny williams/ spark of love
    don blackman
    tom browne/ a few...
    earth wind and fire/ pick one..
    norman connars/ you are my starship..once ive been there
    teddy p/ again ..pick one
    delfonics...
    leos sunship
    milton wright
    al green
    lots of non rare joints
    so many lps to name

Another good choice. Love this record, 'specially the Title track.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

forgot about that one. i need to go back home and put that on.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

forgot about that one. i need to go back home and put that on.

It's safe to say that every Lamont Dozier solo LP can be considered grown n sexy

• That a nice cover right there

• Grown Man Sport Right here!!! Gil Scott-Heron's most perfectly realized album..

• Lamont Dozier "Love and Beauty" is a great soul album! Especially the track "Why Can't We Be Lovers" there's more great tunes! Anyone else feeling this?

I'm not sure if I know how to judge if an album is for grown-ups so i'm just posting because I feel this LP and it needs some appreciation.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I'll come back next month when I turn 30. YIKES!

• Lamont Dozier "Love and Beauty" is a great soul album! Especially the track "Why Can't We Be Lovers" there's more great tunes! Anyone else feeling this?
    I'm not sure if I know how to judge if an album is for grown-ups so i'm just posting because I feel this LP and it needs some appreciation.

Co-sign great album specially that track! Also "Going back to my roots" i think is a great track.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

The whole board needs it's ass kicked for not mentioning the MOST grown and sexy lp in the last 10 years.

Seriously though, GOTTDAMN!!!

• hey man i can't take the comedy anymore. Yo, are you really serious son??? I don't care if phil said he likes KEM. As a matter of fact, so do I. By the way, I am grown up Black man as well..LOL!! Anyway, why is phil not a crate digger if he likes or mentions KEM?? I like KEM and I am a 'crate digger.' So now what?!