Grown-up soul albums (30+ strutters only)

OlskiOlski 355 Posts
edited November 2005 in Music Talk
What are your favourite grown-up soul albums dealing with real life and love from a perspective of an artist who's lived it and is not ashamed to tell it like it is?Here are some of mine: The greatest divorce album of all time. I can only listen to it every two years. The greatest love triangle album of all time and one of the greatest concept albums in soul music. Can listen to it every other week if only for "The Rap" alone. I can't decide on ONE Bobby Womack album. The man lived it all. He knows that woman's got to have it and that's how I feel about soul music.

Comments

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    Very grown and sexy LP's.....I'm only 28, therefore I'm DQ'd from this conversation!

• Does it have to be older albums, or music that came out in the last few years?

In terms of a modern album, this one is worthy:

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

Every immaculately performed and produced track concerns lost love or longing in some shape or form. Essential listening for serious soul heads.

SG

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts

For personal reasons this is the Badu album in my life.

PS: Pacman, you're welcome. Stop and on by and share your records and experiences.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This doesn't strike me as a terribly hip record for 20 year olds, but my 30 year old ass was bumping the hell out of it the past few days.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

For personal reasons this is the Badu album in my life.

Me too, although objectively I feel Mama's Gun is a better collection of songs overall.

Faux, start your hatting.

This is a fave of mine

as is this

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This is a fave of mine

I was 23 when I last heard this and HATED it. Must get better with age.

• not raer by any means but great:

This is a fave of mine

Well, it is the epitome of that much maligned, but Guzzo-endorsed genre...
    Modern Soul.

And to each his own. It's not vastly different from any of his other LPs, IMO, but a bit smoother and creamier.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

yes.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Olski,

Here are some enjoyable"grown folks" albums:

1. "Bitter"-Me'Shell Ndegeocello.
    2. "I Want You"-Marvin Gaye.
    3. "Happy People"-R. Kelly (yeah, I said it).
    4. "Human Being"-Seal.

Also, co-sign on the "Nina Sings the Blues" and "Here My Dear".

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

this album has been growing on me at an astonishing rate and I think to myself, am I getting old or what?
    Not that it's a 'grownup sound' but I think it takes a little time to appreciate, or maybe it is a grown folks sound, I don't know. not that it deals with real grown folks issues, but this album's pretty damn good. I don't know what I'm saying. Bottom line: this album is good.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    well I'm only 25 but I think Drewn, 99problems, and I shoudl get an age pass on this

Modern soul is filled with grown and sexy music some prime examples:

Collins & Collins[/b] "S/T"
    Jeffree[/b] "S/T"
    Michael Orr[/b] "Love Will Rise" (dude from the Spread Love jawn)
    Prince Phillip Mitchell[/b] "Make it Good" & "Top of The Line"
    Keith Barrow[/b] "Physical Attraction"
    Randy Brown[/b] "Welcome to My Room"
    Bobby Caldwell[/b] "Cat in the Hat" & "S/T"
    Champaign[/b] "How Bout Us"
    Stairsteps[/b] "2nd Ressurection

and whole lot more

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts

Got this one since i'm 19. So it's been 10 years i'm holding this record. "Did You Hear What They Said?" is my tune.

This is what you can call "the closest thing to perfection", production-wise...

I grew up on that..."King Heroin" is my choon.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Nothing on this list I wouldn't listen to twice a day. The 2 I thought of were:
    Ann Peebles - Straight From The Heart (all ready mentioned.)
    Bonnie Raitt - Nick Of Time (I don't care how yuppie it is I like it.)
    Aretha Franklin - Now
    I want to hear that new Stevie Wonder
    Stevie Wonder - Hotter Than July (Master Blaster side)
    Robert Cray - Bad Influence all his stuff is grown up.

Dan

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    This is a fave of mine

strangely enough I couldn't get into this one either for a long time. I must've bought and resold 4 copies of this before I gave it an open minded listn and decided it was really good.

Definitly gets better with age.

as for Curtis Mayfield that LP from '76 never did it for me, too much of a disco vibe, however this one from '77 is an underrated essential

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    That Curtis lp is one of my favorite records ever.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    whoa ive never even seen that before!

but may i add Main Ingredients-Tasteful soul. one of my favorite albums ever. grown and sexy sweet soul

• The grown folks' current champ...

As good as these two cds are, his best work is yet to come. When he gets more personal and really injects his past (incarceration, addiction, etc.) into his music on a deeper level, it's gonna be

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    late-pass:

gotta admit, i wouldn't have picked this up if not for AP's lil section in WaxP.

But damn, "peaceful" is beautiful. and boy did "Yesterday's Lies" hit me hard recently. shit was HEAVY, esp. the latter track.

love the textures of this LP, as well as his singing.

"give the little man, a great big hand". The messages in it are so positive and full of humility. Definitely something that's lovely to hear after a long day at work.

edit: woops my bad...didn't see the 30+

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Very grown, very sexy

• How dare you put this KEM guy in the mist of Marvin Gaye and Donny Hathaway. Go get you some real soul and buy Lynn Colins or something. Oh yeah that right you don't know who Lynn Collins is.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    tell me more about this Lynn Colins

• She is the female preacher. Some of hiphop greatest loops come from her music

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    She is the female preacher.

Man, I don't ever look in the gospel music section.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    She is the female preacher. Some of hiphop greatest loops come from her music

• How dare you put this KEM guy in the mist of Marvin Gaye and Donny Hathaway. Go get you some real soul and buy Lynn Colins or something. Oh yeah that right you don't know who Lynn Collins is.

Kem is the grown-up soul champ amongst grown up black people in 2005, batch. Are you a grown up over 30 black person, batch? No. STFU and go fix me some pancakes.
    Who's Marvin Gaye?

• You are a clown. She was called the female preacher because she was down with James Brown. And guess what they called James Brown? The preacher. I was trying to give you a hit. The rob base record, it takes two is a sample from her. And theirs a eric b and rakim record that has her sample. Not to mention lil Kim.