ATCQ "THE JAM" EP... UK only release?

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
A Tribe Called Quest "The Jam" ep on Jive, 1997... Was this released in the states too? Any info is appreciated.

Comments

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I believe so, I bought 2 copies at Record Time In detroit when it came out.

• autezautez 404 Posts
    what's on it?

• Yeah it's like a split EP promo with "Wordplay" I believe...

• what's on it?

for example, the wild hot banger with bustah, nice one...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Get urself The 4 track UK promo 12 of Funkmaster flex with That Shit on it. Solid!

• i bought mine in the states but it could have been an import. 4 tracks, the jam, mardi gras after midnight feat. rah digga, i think get a hold is on there and one more i cant recall.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    As far as I'm aware, it was a UK-only release.
    Has the 'Mardi Gras At Midnight' cut on it, which was unavailable elsewhere at the time.

• Tracklisting is "Jam", "Get a Hold", "Mardi Gras at Midnight" and "Same Ol' Thing".

While I'm at it, am I correct in my recollection that Tribe's "Low End Theory" lp was not initially released commercially on vinyl in the US, only in the UK? I seem to remember not being able to get it at first on vinyl until the UK import came around.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    My copy of the EP looks like an import, and I think I've heard it was import-only

They don't usually make rap 'sampler' EPs commercially available like that in the States

• A Tribe Called Quest - The Jam EP

Label: Jive
    Catalog#: JIVE T 427
    Format: 12"
    Released: 1997
    Genre: Hip Hop
    Credits: Producer - Ummah, The

Tracklisting:
    A1 Jam (4:38)
    Featuring - Consequence (2)
    A2 Get A Hold (3:35)
    B1 Mardi Gras At Midnight (4:19)
    Featuring - Rah Digga
    B2 Same Ol' Thing (4:26)

Believe it wasn't a sampler, but a seperate EP.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Believe it wasn't a sampler, but a seperate EP.

I consider it a sampler since 3 of the 4 tracks were on the album (right?)

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    Tracklisting is "Jam", "Get a Hold", "Mardi Gras at Midnight" and "Same Ol' Thing".

While I'm at it, am I correct in my recollection that Tribe's "Low End Theory" lp was not initially released commercially on vinyl in the US, only in the UK? I seem to remember not being able to get it at first on vinyl until the UK import came around.

i believe it was promo only - black sleeve sticker cover - in the US..

• More Tribe questions for the real headz who know the deal- the "Description Of a Fool" 12" was their first record, right?

• Following their August 1989 debut, "Description Of A Fool"

Yup.

btw: Tip's first ever appearance on wax is on the b-side of the Jungle Brother's "Straight out of the jungle" 12".

• There's 2 other "JAM EP's". One is pretty much a bunch of Soundtrack shit (cool to have if you don't want to track down random hip-hop soundtracks) and another has this track (amongst others) called "Black God Of The Sun" with Q-Tip doing a verse and some chick singing that Rotary Connection ish.

I also have another bootleg on "UMMAH" recordings where it's a remix of that "bounceandwreckyourbodyandturnthepartyout" cut with the Biz Markie sample from the Midnight Marauders sample. They hook up a nice little sly and stone loop and do they thing-a-thang.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    There's 2 other "JAM EP's". One is pretty much a bunch of Soundtrack shit (cool to have if you don't want to track down random hip-hop soundtracks) and another has this track (amongst others) called "Black God Of The Sun" with Q-Tip doing a verse and some chick singing that Rotary Connection ish.

I also have another bootleg on "UMMAH" recordings where it's a remix of that "bounceandwreckyourbodyandturnthepartyout" cut with the Biz Markie sample from the Midnight Marauders sample. They hook up a nice little sly and stone loop and do they thing-a-thang.

Late career Jaydee-assisted ATCQ terds?

I should have known the boy Young Phonics would have something to say...

• Yeah it's like a split EP promo with "Wordplay" I believe...

This is the one I was thinking of, but "Stressed Out" is the A side here.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    And on that subject, a PM from Young Phonics:

Yoooooo! That "Baby Phife Mix" on the "Stressed Out" b-side where he flips the dancehall stylee was killllin' it!

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Who knows if anything UK is official. What I do know is that Jam record was a promo only EP on Jive with instrumental tracks. most peopel out here slept on it anyway. And teh low End Theory LP was a promo only piece of vinyl when that album dropped but was later reissued officially by Jive as a Double LP pressing complete with picture cover which eliminates the promo pressing. Tribe's first LP Path's Of Rhythm was alos releases as a double LP officially by Jive at teh same time with extra tracks.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    and another has this track (amongst others) called "Black God Of The Sun" with Q-Tip doing a verse and some chick singing that Rotary Connection ish.

that was actually a remix of Nuyorican Soul's cover of "Black Gold Of The Sun". It appeared officailly on a Talkin' Loud 12" back in 97.

http://www.discogs.com/release/72583

good record.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Who knows if anything UK is official.

It might come as a shock to those of you used to the universe revolving around you, but we do have record companies in the UK. The "Jam" EP was official alright - I got mine direct from a friend at the label. There's another UK-only EP from 1994, just called the "Tribe Called Quest EP". It's a between-albums stopgap joint which is only noteworthy for listing "Verses From The Abstract" on the sleeve and label, when it actually features "Vibes And Things". Other tracks are "We Can Get Down", "Footprints" and "Clap Your Hands".