F#@k Fake Ebay notice just tried to gank me...

idiotproofidiotproof 880 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Friggin heck... Not even 10 mins ago I just recieved an email from Ebay saying that there is something wrong with my account & that I should sign in & complete a form or my account will be suspended. So naturally I went, 'Oh shit'. Clicked on their 'Update Information' link & came to the usual sign-in page. I stupidly entered my name & password, then remembered, hey, it usually signs me in automatically. Why didn't it fill in the section as it always does. Then I noticed the url was different than the one it says to watch out for (bottom yellow bit). They were different. I tehrefore ended up onto a page where I was now bidding on a $500 laptop...WTF??????Then I went to look at the original email & noticed that it wasn't sent to my actual email address, it was redirected from my radio show address which is forwarded from the radio station... So it wasn't actually sent to me from the real Ebay.What the fuck? So I quickly went & changed my password... Whats the go... How quickly I could have been scammed. It was obviously a random email, yet it convinced me.Anyone had this happpen to them...?

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Friggin heck... Not even 10 mins ago I just recieved an email from Ebay saying that there is something wrong with my account & that I should sign in & complete a form or my account will be suspended. So naturally I went, 'Oh shit'. Clicked on their 'Update Information' link & came to the usual sign-in page. I stupidly entered my name & password, then remembered, hey, it usually signs me in automatically. Why didn't it fill in the section as it always does. Then I noticed the url was different than the one it says to watch out for (bottom yellow bit). They were different. I tehrefore ended up onto a page where I was now bidding on a $500 laptop...WTF??????

Then I went to look at the original email & noticed that it wasn't sent to my actual email address, it was redirected from my radio show address which is forwarded from the radio station... So it wasn't actually sent to me from the real Ebay.

What the fuck? So I quickly went & changed my password...

Whats the go... How quickly I could have been scammed. It was obviously a random email, yet it convinced me.

Anyone had this happpen to them...?

kinda funny that your name is idiotproof

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    "we regret to informe you..."

• The misspelling of "inform" didn't tip you off? Not to mention the horrible sentence structure.

• if you have paypal, you might want to change that password too.

I almost got stung too. The first time I got one of these I clicked the link to find a page resembling ebay, but with a form asking for my username, pass, name, bank account #, and credit card #. Obviously the scammers needed some practice, it was hard to fall for that one. I'm sure some people did though.

I ignore emails from ebay about my account unless it looks legit. Then I go to the site, sign on, and look for the message in My Messages section of My eBay.

• somone actually fell for this?

• That sucks... I get about 3-4 of these a DAY.

• Options
    eBay will contact you when you log in. Don't fall for these things - there are quit a few of them (I must receive abouot 20 of them a day).

Don't be a sucker, K.

• Options
    Just return the email with "Eat a Dick". That's what I do.

K.

• Just return the email with "Eat a Dick". That's what I do.

K.

Actually I hear it's better to not do anything. If they receive a reply, they know the email account is active! ROBOTS

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    i aint gonna lie, I think I've signed in about half way through before and caught myself. weed and coffee are a bad combination. but feels so right.

• i like the ones where the people need help distributing their money, or eastern european women who want to come to america? Im tempted to write back just to fuck with them, its not like I don't have the free time. The ultimate would be to scam them somehow.

• i like the ones where the people need help distributing their money, or eastern european women who want to come to america? Im tempted to write back just to fuck with them, its not like I don't have the free time. The ultimate would be to scam them somehow.

http://www.419eater.com/

• sweeeeeeet

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    weed and coffee are a bad combination. but feels so right.

i call it the poor man's speedball.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Just return the email with "Eat a Dick". That's what I do.

K.

Are you J*ff*ry?

K, say it ain't so!

• The new ones are guised as "question from ebay member" and say vague things like "where's my item, I paid you 3 weeks ago!" , with the respond button and all that jazz. Never use an ebay respond button through your email.

• anytime there's a link in an email you should also mouse over it and check the status bar to see if it's actually going to take you where it says it will.

I once got a fake Paypal email, so I clicked on the link and filled everything out, making "fuckyou" my password, email address, address, etc. (they even asked for my social security # and credit card #!). The next time I went to the REAL paypal site, it had my email address as [email]fuckyou@fuckyou.com.[/email] So yeah, probably not a good idea to reply with some smartass shit.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    kinda funny that your name is idiotproof

• anytime there's a link in an email you should also mouse over it and check the status bar to see if it's actually going to take you where it says it will.

Sometimes even those can be faked with some clever javascript usage. Best thing to do if go directly to Ebay.com and login the same way you always would.

• My spam filter got this one. I figure if there's no message for me at myebay[/b] than fuggit. Garbage.

Email that asks for info is mad

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i get these shits at least once a week, for paypal too.

just delete!

• kinda funny that your name is idiotproof

Yeah yeah yeah. I'll pay that...
    Was around 4:30am here, so I think I was in that state of delirium.
    I did notice the 'informe' bit, but I guess I just wasn't really concentrating properly. It was my first one. I admit. Stupid. But damn they look convincing.

Is it really the Russian mafia who does this shit? Thats' what i keep reading. They strong-arm young whiz bang Russian techno boffins to do this shit for them.

• It is some 'phishing scam', i had that email too but first yahoo put it in my spam folder and the link was stranged.

go have a look at here http://antivirus.about.com/cs/emailscams/a/blebayscam5.htm

u will find some answears.

• It is some 'phishing scam', i had that email too but first yahoo put it in my spam folder and the link was stranged.

go have a look at here http://antivirus.about.com/cs/emailscams/a/blebayscam5.htm

u will find some answears.

Aw man... Luckily I only use a debit card that rarely has any loot in it...

I just got this only moments ago..This is from EBAY themselves...
    I think! It came through the right email address, not forwarded like the last one.
    So I just went & changed a few passwords on a few sites... This sucks...

Dear **********

In order to protect the security of your eBay account, we have reset your password and secret question. This action was taken because your password may have been compromised. While we cannot disclose the investigative procedures that led to this conclusion, we hope you feel confident that we acted in your best interest.[/b]

You should have received an automated notice with the subject line "change password confirmation" to confirm that we reset your password. If your secret question was also reset, you should have received a second automated notice with the subject line "change password hint confirmation." Do not respond to these notices. If you require assistance with issues that are not addressed in this message, please refer to the eBay Help Center by clicking on the "Help" link located at the top of most eBay pages.

Since your password was reset, you will need to create a new password by following the instructions provided below. Until you complete this process, you will not be able to bid on or list an item.

1. Click on the "site map" link at the top of most eBay pages.
    2. Click on the ???I forgot my password??? link located in the middle column under the ???Services??? heading.
    3. Follow the listed directions until you have successfully changed your password. DO NOT use the same password you used previously.
    4. After you enter your User ID on the ???Forgot your password??? page, you may be asked your ???secret question.??? If you do not have the correct answer to your secret question or if your secret question was reset, click on the ???Send me password instructions??? link below the ???Continue??? button on the ???Your Secret Question??? page to begin creating a new password.

IMPORTANT: In addition to changing the password on your eBay account, please change the password on your personal email account. If your old eBay password was also the password for any other online account you use (PayPal, etc.), we recommend that you immediately change those passwords as well. To maintain password security, each one of your online accounts should have a different password. Even a slight difference (one letter or number) offers substantial protection.

Taking these steps will ensure you are the only one that has access to your account. Also, please remember the following guidelines when it comes to password security:

1. Be wary of emails appearing to be from eBay that include links to pages that require you to sign in, as these are often attempts to collect your password information. Make sure that the Web site you are directed to is a part of the eBay site. Please note this email does not provide a link, but asks that you go directly to eBay. Always make sure that you're on an eBay page before giving out your eBay password or credit card information. The best way to ensure that you are on the eBay site is to type www.ebay.com into the Web address window of your browser.

2. Make sure your password is difficult to guess, and uses a combination of letters and numbers.

3. Don't use the same password on eBay that you use on your email account, or on other Web sites.

4. Review additional information on account security and choosing a secure password. To review this information, please visit the eBay Help system by clicking on the ???Help??? button located at the top of every eBay page and then choosing the following topics:

Topics > Safe Trading > If Something Goes Wrong... > Account Theft

Thank you for your cooperation and patience in this matter.

Regards,

Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)
    eBay Inc