Records and your significant other

2»

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I remembered how pricey it was and I blurted out, "Hey Phil! You paid thirty bucks for this Comin' Home Baby?" Right away I noticed this glance back and forth between him and his wife. Phil replied, "No. It was only ten." Phil was bullshittin', but I obviously didn't push it.

This reminds me of how I came to know a couple from Soulstrut. It went like this:
    (All names have been changed, 'cause I don't want to damage any baller-like status.)

Aspiring[/b]: "Man, fo_chillz just won that Baby Huey on the bay. $70 is a good price, too."

fo_chillz[/b]: "Thanks, but you know some of us have significant others on the board who may not be aware of what a piece like that costs."

Aspiring[/b]: "Shit, that dude wants $10 in shipping, but $80 is still fair."

fo_chillz[/b]: "Dude, like I said, some of us have significant others who post here and may happen to see this thread."

Aspiring[/b]: "Sorry for blowing up your spot."

Cosythreads[/b]: "You spent $80 on a fucking record, but you told me all we could afford to eat last night was Top Ramen, fucker!"

fo_chillz[/b]: "Can this wait until we get home?"

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    How was I supposed to know...he sniped me. Yao!

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    How was I supposed to know...he sniped me. Yao!

Shit sounds good on the yacht, or the whip.
    Or... in the whip on the yacht!
    (A player like fo_chillz can take his pick.)

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    My father collects, uh, anything, mostly American cultural antique type shit, but the house I grew up in is completely full with old tins, books, paintings and posters, just shit everywhere. Fortunately, not in a sloppy way, my mother would start throwing it away if it got messy, but it's definitely ridiculous. There is a working pinball machine in our basement. A few years ago my parents bought a house in Cape Cod and now stuff gets rotated to up there. My grandmother moved out a while ago into her own place, so her bedroom got made into a den type room with more stuff in it. If my folks ever move out (and I hope they get out of Connecticut and back into the city) they are going to have to sell so much stuff but they will make so much cream. I do not want this for myself and, as anyone who works at DC record stores will tell you, I am trading records in droves.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    The way we solved it is we have a 2 1/2 bedroom place... she got the half room (a windowed-in "florida room" in front) and I got the spare bedroom. We keep out of each others hair and my room still looks like a batchelor pad.
    We've got the same deal except I'm in the "arizona room". I'm running out of space quickly though, both our bikes and the dogs crap are in there to so I really only have use of like a 1/4 rooms worth of space. I've got plans to convert the carport into a new masterbeedroom and bath and put a big covered porch on the back and build a nice sheed. Then I can put shit that won't melt out in the shed and have some more record space, plus there will be an extra room for a kid whenever that happens and a nice porch to kick it on too. I really recomend adding on instead of moving to anyone who has the space to do so. Squarefootage is much cheaper built thatn bought.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Big prob for me right now, because at some point my boy is gonna have to take over the room that the majority of my records are housed in. It's either unload a large amount of these vinyls or move to a bigger house. Please believe me, I do NOT want to go through moving with all these records again!
    It's amazing how a house can shrink the longer you live in it, especially if you skeet out a few offspring along the way... this place was frighteningly huge when we bought it eight years ago, now it feels like a doll house.

Why don't you unload some of your records in order to move...ie, sell 15-20K worth, which I'm sure would just make a small dent, buy a bigger house. Not only will you have more room for your son, you'll have more room for your records (albeit less records), not to mention that all important equity.

Nice idea, but as you said, selling 15-20K would indeed make just a small dent. Which means I'd still have to haul a ridiculous amount of records to a new place, not to mention all the other furniture and this-and-that that we've accumulated in these eight years. I really don't want to move unless we have no other choice (or unless I strike it rich from my forays into emo-rap, which could indeed be insanely lucrative).
    The other option is that my wife moves her salon out of the basement and opens up a shop elsewhere, which we have been discussing. In that case I'd move my whole setup down there, which would actually be very cool as long as no pipes burst and there are no major floods (oh, the horror stories I've heard about those basement floods!). Well, one way another we're gonna have to come up with something.
    Anybody in the Philly area who wants to come by and get all of my easy listening records for a nice price just let me know- I got that Mantovani heat, fo' real!

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Phill,

Have a sale in your back yard...put some tarps up and have folls come by and buy joints....a few weekend of that will definitely leave you with a slimmer collection. I'm sure baghat would be happy to take some of the nicer pieces off of you but let me not speak for dave.

t

• My father collects, uh, anything, mostly American cultural antique type shit, but the house I grew up in is completely full with old tins, books, paintings and posters, just shit everywhere. Fortunately, not in a sloppy way, my mother would start throwing it away if it got messy, but it's definitely ridiculous. There is a working pinball machine in our basement. A few years ago my parents bought a house in Cape Cod and now stuff gets rotated to up there. My grandmother moved out a while ago into her own place, so her bedroom got made into a den type room with more stuff in it. If my folks ever move out (and I hope they get out of Connecticut and back into the city) they are going to have to sell so much stuff but they will make so much cream. I do not want this for myself and, as anyone who works at DC record stores will tell you, I am trading records in droves.

My future father-in-law is a serious ebay & auction hound on all kinds of heavy machinery. Concrete crushers, drill presses, old cars, real blue collar stuff. Has some hustle too, like one time he scouted out the one place in the country that still needs parts from a printer from 1982 because it's what all the school records are printed on.... and moves it from a local auction for 4 times what he paid... does this all the time.

You think records are bad... this guy is great. We were driving around one day and we were talking about rivers and swimming, and he goes, "yeah, I got a sail boat". His wife goes "you have a SAIL BOAT??" him: "yeah, well, it aint got a mast." He's got storage units she doesn't even know about.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    as anyone who works at DC record stores will tell you, I am trading records in droves.

I heard the following exchange at a local store last week:

"These are all from Matt Schnipper, he said he will stop back."

Me: "You know Matt Schnipper too?!"

• two words:
    base ment

if it can be swung it's an ideal place to stash your second-strings that you can't bear to part with. it's like wine. let'em age till they get raer.
    actually me & wifey been together for like twelve-plus years and only recently did we decide to merge collections. amazing how many dupes came out of that. we both like that wall-of-records look, but she's the one who wants classy shelving. it's hard to follow the "no milk crates in the house" dictum, even if dorm decorating is for single chumps.
    bottom line is if you find someone with common interests, recognize!
    that shit's precious.

as anyone who works at DC record stores will tell you, I am trading records in droves.

Haha, S****d S***y? Chris, you should come by when you are in the neighborhood, I've got so much stuff to get rid of; we should trade.

Haha, S****d S***y? Chris, you should come by when you are in the neighborhood, I've got so much stuff to get rid of; we should trade.

Sounds like a plan. I need to have you over to the Mt Rainier compound sometime too.
    Let me hatch something and get back to you PM-style.

• When I first started getting serious with my gal she was insisting that too many records in the crib would never be an issue, or for that matter competition with my lust for music itself. I had heard that before in previous relationships and wasn't convinced...that is, 'till she showed me some of the records she was hoarding at her parents' house. There was even a bookcase full of stuff she forgot about in the garage...

(actually I gave her the Latyrx lp)

I mean, this chick even kept her old CD longboxes and shit!

Apparently Tower was on the way home from her waitressing job in 1992-93 and she bought a lot of 12" singles for the remixes and instrumentals. They look practically unplayed though she swears she bumped them all the time.

Needless to say we're still going strong, although she likes to assertively joke now and agian about me filling up every available space in the house(ie: underneath the kitchen table) with excess wax and tapes.

I love her.

I had an old friend who was my main record/cd collecting partner in crime/bandmate in college, who SWORE that someday, all those old longboxes would "be worth so much money" because "they don't make 'em anymore!". Good to see he wasn't alone in his thoughts!

...and this is serious!

• J*sh scored the only woman I've ever heard of who was into the Wu.

Nice one!

BTW: I've been in said home, and there really are records everywhere. We were at Amoeba last week and I mentioned that I didn't wanna buy a bunch of stuff because I'm starting to run out of room, and peacefulro replied, "Dude, there's a lot of space in your foyer!"

He's available for in-home vinyl storage capability assessements. And yes, he'll work for records.

[I, too, got lucky and am marrying a woman with as many records as I have. Thank god for massive closets.]

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    Wifedog thinks the records are cool until they start invading her space.
    I'm at a crossroads now recordwise. I'm running out of space in my room but want to sav out and double the size of my collection. The biggest reason I want a house is to be able to buy more raers and store them properly.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Wifedog

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    My girlfriend and I live in a one and a half bedroom apartment. The half bedroom is my record room. Our room looks more like her room, pink everywhere. 3 dressers of clothes, all hers. Deep closet, all hers. Then shes got two shoeracks stacked, girls got like 50 pairs of cute shoes. Whatever, I ain't complainin. Compromising is what bein in a relationship is all about. Plus she's radd!

Wifedog

This is chill. Imagine if they said this when you got married. I now pronounce you man and wifedog. You may now kiss the bride(dog), because you know how we do. Trill.