What's Happening? Re-Runs on TV Land (Raj Crew)

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I watched some of the marathon the other night.I'm not a big tv watcher--but this was quality tv. I grew up watching it--and its good to know that it's back in reruns (pun intended!)

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I watched some of the marathon the other night.

I'm not a big tv watcher--but this was quality tv. I grew up watching it--and its good to know that it's back in reruns (pun intended!)

you really think this was quality TV? Man don't get me wrong I like watching Whats Happening, but its campy as fuck.

The acting is pretty bad, the story lines are pretty silly, and the writing is poor.

This show didn't age all that well and the only thing I still really liked was Reruns dancing and Shirley Hemphills lovely lady lumps.

Eric Monte is my behind-the-scenes TV/Film hero but he really fell off with this one.

• Whats Happening, but its campy as fuck.

It wasn't "campy" then. That was the seventies. Everyone looked like that.

• Uh uh!

• Ooooh! I'ma tell Mama!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

That girl was the only reason I watched the show.

Ultimate snaps.

• You know what's really disturbing, which was pointed out to me just the other day...
    Dee has the same exact same voice/accent/everything as the kid that plays Chris "In Everybody Hates Chris" It's scary.

Otherwise, loving the re runs

• I used to really love What's Happening, but it did not age well at all. Good Times on the other hand aged very well. I wasn't really able to sit through a whole episode of What's Happening? Actually, I did watch the disco dance competition.

• I loved it too, great title sequence. My favorite was when the Doobie Brothers came on. Man that was SO 70's.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

That girl was the only reason I watched the show.

Ultimate snaps.

She was awesome.

I think the first season was quality TV (it was created to be a more contemporary 'Cooley High', so there are parallel charachters-made more TV palatable) and had better writing early on. It was still funny for awhile, but it came back a few years after being cancelled (the unfortunate "What's Happening Now") and was REALLY bad/boring.

And I too remember the Doobie bros episode with great fondness.
    Great theme song too.

• I loved it too, great title sequence. My favorite was when the Doobie Brothers came on. Man that was SO 70's.

rerun tried to bootleg the show and he only recorded him eating popcorn.....

"Which Doobie you be????"

hell yeah!! I remember that shit! damn, I had forgotten about that

• you really think this was quality TV? Man don't get me wrong I like watching Whats Happening, but its campy as fuck.

The acting is pretty bad, the story lines are pretty silly, and the writing is poor.

...shit, that's half the fun. I could say the same thing about Good Times, with its' heavy-handed social statements.

A couple of random things I liked (from an episode where a rep from a TV show drops by a local high school scouting talent):

--Dwayne auditioning with an off-key version of "Handy Man" (the early-60's oldie hit), backed up by some guy playing a Wurlitzer electric piano

--the TV show the talent scout is from is called Happy Times (an obvious cut at Good Times)

• And what about that one where Rerun tries out for that dancing squad! Don't they go on The Gong Show or something?

• And what about that one where Rerun tries out for that dancing squad! Don't they go on The Gong Show or something?

i think thats two different episodes - the Gong Show ep is the one where a bunch of kids get a spot on the program, but Rerun secretly auditions for the same show and winds up in competition with them.

the one with the dance squad (played by the Lockers, who Rerun used to dance with in real life) is a different one