NEVER SCARE A BROTHER

2»

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    This stupid clip doesn't strike anyone as mildly offensive?

"Hey look at the black man and how quick he is to punch this guy!"

Sure it's funny, but that doesn't mean it's not effing ignorant.

I'm kinda confused as to why the two most vocal supporters of "the real schitt" are big uppin' this, too.

-e

I am not offended by this video. Now, yuichi's comment, that's a little different.

sorry, i wasn't trying to be funny though. Just my observations...some may call them stereotypes. And although it may be irrelevant, i meant it as a compliment.
    my bad none-the-less.

slow reflexes,

yuichi

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I've made it perfectly clear that I do find it to be funny, right?

-e

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Just like it's completely different for a white guy to call a black dude a "ni**a" and a black dude to call a white guy a "cracker." They are utterly different phenomenon. You just can't make that comparison.

Guzzo!

no need, I think he's doing a fine job of arguing my side for me

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

seriously. what if it was a white dude doing the punching and it was titled "Never scare a redneck" or honkey or whatever?

offensive then?

What I find offensive is that so many people think "flipping the script" is an intelligent argument.

What if it had been a...? What if a ____ person had said it? What if that happened to a ...?

Racism is about context. When you flip the script, you remove the context.

I don't think this clip is worthy of anaylasis, but I will do it any way.

1) guy dresses as a scarecrow and films himself scaring people so he can send it into Americas Funniest Videos.

2) Guy gets punched, and it's funny!

3) He sends it to AFV and they add the sound effects that make it sound like he is going to need reconstruction surgery.

4) The brother, does not give him a beat down.

5) The brother does come back and shows real concern.

6) The clip is titled Never Scare A Brother, drawing attention to the punchers race.

7) Racist?

Dan

• Racism is about context. When you flip the script, you remove the context.

But "flipping the script" adds perspective. If you apply the term "racist" to something as mild as the title of a video clip then you're really doing a disservice to the fight against racism. You should choose your battle more wisely. Don't get me wrong, I see where you're coming from but when you call this "racist" people roll their eyes.

The word "racism" is powerful.

But "flipping the script" adds perspective. If you apply the term "racist" to something as mild as the title of a video clip then you're really doing a disservice to the fight against racism. You should choose your battle more wisely. Don't get me wrong, I see where you're coming from but when you call this "racist" people roll their eyes.

Just to be clear. I did not call this racist.

I agree that the vid and title are not worth fighting over.

Dan

• it`s the time of the month??

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Where is the pic of leo sayer jumping over a shark when you need it?

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

If the word "racism" is so powerful to you, how come you're the one throwing it around so wrecklessly? Nobody--I repeat nobody[/b]--has said "This is racist" in this thread. I pointed out that it's "offensive" and "irresponsible." Nobody directly said that this flick was or is "racist."

You need to check yourself before you start trying to check other people.

-e

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

seriously. what if it was a white dude doing the punching and it was titled "Never scare a redneck" or honkey or whatever?

offensive then?

What I find offensive is that so many people think "flipping the script" is an intelligent argument.

I know it changes the context, what I mean to say is if you throw ANY ethnic/sub-culture etc.. in there is it offensive? Or is it only offensive because it is dealing with a black person.

what I mean by this is if this were say an asian person walking up and getting scared, and perhaps kicking the guy, and the clip was retitled "Never scare an asian". Meaning that he is good at kung-fu or karate or whatever. The same people that cried foul about the "Brother" clip wouldnt be offended by this "asian" clip.

Same context really.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

If the word "racism" is so powerful to you, how come you're the one throwing it around so wrecklessly? Nobody--I repeat nobody[/b]--has said "This is racist" in this thread. I pointed out that it's "offensive" and "irresponsible." Nobody directly said that this flick was or is "racist."

You need to check yourself before you start trying to check other people.

-e

yeah I mean how could you think that he was possily trying to say this was offensive for racist reasons? obviously this video does nothing to uplift the image of scarecrows living in a culturaly biased society

It's not always black and white

I swear I hate "you people" sometimes

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

yeah I mean how could you think that he was possily trying to say this was offensive for racist reasons? obviously this video does nothing to uplift the image of scarecrows living in a culturaly biased society

It's not always black and white

I swear I hate "you people" sometimes

Did you even read the thread? If so, you're mildly retarded.

Dude is clearly arguing about using the specific word(s) "racism" and/or "racist." I brought up the fact that nobody has directly said "that's racist." He's seeing things.

Or perhaps you're trying to suggest that I am doing a disservice to "equality" by finding this schitt offensive?

And yes I would find a clip like this equally as offensive if it were poking fun at any culturally disadvantaged group, be it asians, arabs (which I am one of), jews, or whatever.

Basically, the clip is funny with or without the "Never scare a brother" title, right? So, why the hell is there a need for the title? The dude's blackness has nothing to do with this clip. To suggest that it does is (potentially) offensive. And why the hell are people even attempting to stick up for the title of the clip?

I repeat for the mildly retarded: the clip is funny with or without the title.

-e

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Did you even read the thread? If so, you're mildly retarded.

-e

why you hatin'?

• NEVER SCARE AN ARAB

• funny clip....

I find the whole discussion on the title to be annoying, ultra PC and well, boring...just my opinion. We all have them, btw. Lets not start scolding/judging/discussing percieved intentions/motives with someone else's choice of words. Lets not, please. Free speech. Say what you want.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    NEVER SCARE AN ARAB

racist

• NEVER SCARE AN ARAB

racist

NEVER SCARE A JEW

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Free speech. Say what you want.

Please, please don't abuse this phrase like that.

"Free speech" means that the government's ability to impinge upon your expression is limited.

It does not mean, for example, that a person has a right to say racist things without other people pointing it out.

• Free speech. Say what you want.

I honestly dont think I am "abusing" that phrase.

It does not mean, for example, that a person has a right to say racist things without other people pointing it out.

yes.fine. but just because someone says its racist, doesnt mean it is. Just because someone says it isnt racist, doesnt mean it isnt. No one on here has some superior wisdom to be judge of who anyone is or what anyone mean by what they say. Some folks on here can be INCREDIBLY judgemental. Not that anyone in this situation is, but the direction of this thread reminded me of that.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Free speech. Say what you want.

I honestly dont think I am "abusing" that phrase.

Of course you are, the same way most people do.

Again, "freedom of speech" doesn't have anything to do with freedom from being confronted with viewpoints other than your own.

The rest of your post seems to be directed at somebody else.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    back up Hook up. Faux_Rillz is a LAWYER

• whatever. I am adding to the boringness of this thread, so I will stop.
    Thanks for the civics lesson. The response to the second half of my statement is exactly what I was talking about. I will not comment anymore on this subject.

• NEVER SCARE A TEXAN

• If the word "racism" is so powerful to you, how come you're the one throwing it around so wrecklessly?

Wrecklessly? Get real.

Some folks on here can be INCREDIBLY judgemental.

I resemble that remark.

I agree with everything you said.

I agree with Faux, he really clearified for me how people missuse the phrase freedom or speech.

Dan

• Phill, you did this on purpose.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Holy shit, this thread is COMEDY. I would think it was a parody had I not been posting here so long.

wow.

That's just way out.