Boondocks (NRR)

funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Anyone else catch the Boondocks last night? It had it's funny moments, but it seemed more about the grandfather than Huey and Riley...

Comments

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    I saw it. Thought it was incredibly good. First minute had my crying. Meet all of my expectations and more.

• How is the animation? Based on stills I've seen it looks sort of like Japanimation. When Americans do that style of animation they usually go cheap on it and it looks bad. Is Boondocks quality?

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    They hit the animae style on the head imo. Perfect mesh of styles.

• Yeh my homie is the designer for the show...

Lesean Thomas

sick artist. He did the latest rebirth of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. His style is deeply rooted in Japanimation... huge fan of it.

Also he has no formal trainging as an artist - picked everything up he knows on his own.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I saw it. Thought it was incredibly good. First minute had my crying. Meet all of my expectations and more.

Were we watching the same thing? 11 PM EST, right? I thought the show was terrible. Not only do I think anime is a bad style for the cartoon, but last night's episode was just an attempt to squeeze in as many stereotypes as possible! (I know that's the name of the Boondocks game, but jeeze...) I always enjoy reading the cartoon in the paper, and I usually walk away with something to think about, but I was just happy it was over last night. Seriously, come with something stronger.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    so uh... where are the jokes? i know this is the first episode and character development is crucial (something i was worried would be overlooked in a flurry of george bush hating social commentary), but there still needs to be something funny there. it's unfortunate that the major plot point (huey living out his "telling the truth to the rich white folks" dream and having it met not with horror but with delight) was given away in all press leading up to the show.

i can see cartoon network trying to do apply the comedy central chapelle model here (even to the point of having charlie murphy voice a character and do an "i'm rich bitch"), by having a "shockingly urban" show attract a different demographic while simultaniously building on their usual white college stoner target audience. but i don't know how sucessful it will be on that front, it doesn't seem to have the catch phrases of chappelle. the powers that be will have you think "the biting social commentary" is what fueled chappelle's successes, but in reality, dude wrote a bunch of great catch phrases and reoccuring characters that's what drives a sketch show. critically it'd be a good thing the boondocks doesn't sink to this level, i've never been a fan of chappelle show (and i definitely wouldn't want mcgruder to give riley a "what you talkin bout willis?") but commercially i just don't see it doing what they had hoped it would. and it doesn't really fit in the adult swim sunday block, with it's linear storytelling and very formal artwork amongst a bunch of surrealist and sloppily drawn shows. i don't think the adult swim viewership will be as shocked with "ronald reagan is the devil" when they just watched the sealab dude talk about how an acid trip was the equivalent of a koala crapping a rainbow in his brain. the political content/scandal that they're so heavily banking on is likely to get brushed aside by the audience as just another in a long line of non sequiters the other shows present. not that it's that particularly groundbreaking politically either...

the animation is actually lot better than i had expected, but the voice acting is terrible horrible no good very bad in that the children sound like regina king and not children. although i was happy to hear jill talley (mr. show) doing rich white people voices.

i'll give it a few episodes to see if it hits it's stride. it really has always been a great concept that and i do think the characters are pretty strong. but for next weeks ep, i really don't know what could be said about r. kelly that hasn't already been said.

• i believe that this is the most expensive show cartoon network has done

i predict it will bomb, it wasnt funny

i predict it will bomb, it wasnt funny

Or witty, even. It was just DRY.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Were we watching the same thing? 11 PM EST, right? I thought the show was terrible. Not only do I think anime is a bad style for the cartoon, but last night's episode was just an attempt to squeeze in as many stereotypes as possible! (I know that's the name of the Boondocks game, but jeeze...) I always enjoy reading the cartoon in the paper, and I usually walk away with something to think about, but I was just happy it was over last night. Seriously, come with something stronger.

Dude! It's like tou stole every word I had to say about it.

The Anime vibe left it feeling far too serious, dramaitc and joke-free. Not to mention the jokes that were there really werent on point. I'm hoping that they are still trying to find themselves and they improve over time. Who inks/ draws the comic strip? Is it McGruder? if so he should be drawing the series or find someone to emulate that style a little more, I think it would be easier to watch that way

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    damn dudes, I guess I don't know what you guys were expecting that I wasn't. I was prepared for dope drawings, punchlineless introverted jokes and a slow, "damn I need a minute to think on this" pace. I can't agree with some arguments here because many of the pitfalls you guys are pointing out are exactly what made the strip a success. And remember, cartoon network was an afterthough, they just wanted to make the show. the show / strip was not designed for CN or it's viewers.

I was prepared for dope drawings, punchlineless introverted jokes and a slow, "damn I need a minute to think on this" pace. I can't agree with some arguments here because many of the pitfalls you guys are pointing out are exactly what made the strip a success.

What exactly in the episode made you think? All of the jokes were so glaringly obvious that I didn't have to think about any of it. I was hoping there'd be a point during the show that things would flip or there'd be some sort of new understanding, but the curtains closed permanently at what I thought should have only been the intermission.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i started falling asleep because i was so bored... ive been a fan of that strip for a long time and even have one framed on my wall! im beyond disappointed... i was going to write about this this morning but chose not to because i cant even formulate the words of how sad i am...

really mcgruder... are you fucking kidding me?

i was shocked at that horrible song that the grandpas friend was singing... it wasnt funny it was a disgrace. i wanted to laugh at the white people jokes but i think i found myself just disgusted with mcgruder and his team who did this.

the voices!!! holy shit are you fucking kidding me?!?!?! please find a new voice for everyone... i dont even want to talk about it.

and yeah the animation was great and thats about it.

ill keep watching it but really... i hope to god this gets better... almost made me want to stop reading the strip...

• i tivo'ed it! havent watched it yet though..cant wait

Isn't John Witherspoon the voice of the father? It didn't sound a thing like the dude.

i tivo'ed it! havent watched it yet though..cant wait

Yes you can. Use that TiVO space for something else, man. Save it for Wednesday's "Meet Your New Mommy".

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

So... you didn't cry?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i was shocked at that horrible song that the grandpas friend was singing... it wasnt funny it was a disgrace. i wanted to laugh at the white people jokes but i think i found myself just disgusted with mcgruder and his team who did this.

yes! i wanted to mention this. a fucking low point in the already soured "legacy" of the boondocks.

yes! i wanted to mention this. a fucking low point in the already soured "legacy" of the boondocks.

So... you guys didn't cry either?

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts

So... you didn't cry?

soft.

Maybe I'm just out of touch with the streets opinion of the boondocks because I haven't read the strip in a while. Disagreements aside, this show has made the good list in my household.

• Show sucks ass. Bunch a angry kids bitching at people. Wasn't funny and doesn't fit Adult Swim IMO. Shit needs to get killed already.

• How's the music on this show? I was asked to contribute some stuff but ended up not getting involved for reasons I choose not to get into here. But some of the stuff dude wanted to use would've been so crazy for a cartoon. Just wondering if he still went through with his idea to incorporate some funky stuff to the soundtrack. I need to tivo this batch up. Whatsit on, Cartoon Network? Adult Swim or whatever that schitt is?

• Asheru did the opening sequence.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I never thought it was funny as a comic strip.

It's not.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

really cos? while i dont fall on the ground laughing every day... i find that i enjoy most of the strips ive read over the years. i used to get it emailed to me on the daily.

it can be quite witty with some very funny moments. ive laughed out loud a countless amount of times.

oh well... not everyone thinks its funny.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

really cos? while i dont fall on the ground laughing every day... i find that i enjoy most of the strips ive read over the years. i used to get it emailed to me on the daily.

it can be quite witty with some very funny moments. ive laughed out loud a countless amount of times.

It's no "Cathy" I'll tell you...

15 minutes and counting until my self imposed ban...

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

racist

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

It's no "Cathy" I'll tell you...

15 minutes and counting until my self imposed ban...

Its all about cathy. They were gonna do a show of that, but decided it would be too "contreversial".