Malls Past Their Prime aka Ghetto Malls (A blog)

2»

Comments

• carson is the home town of tarentino, buyaa tribe, the boys, mc trouble, brandi, and my mom. peace, stein. . .

don't forget about Ras Kass.

And now my mall memories.
    At one time Del Amo Mall in Southbay (los angeles) was the biggest mall in the world. ChikFillet and Julius for days, know what I mean? We're talking DJ'z (sp?) Oaktree type hype. Then things started slipping. Mall of America took the title, some chains closed, moved out. Then things got interesting when the mom and pops moved in, one of which was Downlow Hookups, a one stop hip hop shop where you could get your jeans airbrushed (by Ink), battle somebody, by a hoody, whatever. If any of you remember the "Black Owned" sweatshirts (as seen in the regulators video if I remember correctly) I remember the day Down Low hookups rolled those out, they originated that ish. I began hanging there REGULARLY after school everyday. The mall was clearing out though, rent slipped on everybody, and needless to say, that wing of the former Del Amo is now condos. I miss Alladin's Castle arcade heydays something terrible. Gauntlet 4 player anyone? Sad to think about the past sometimes, I can't imagine not loving every minute of that era.
    unfortunately many malls, and debbie gibson tour plans for that matter, are

Recently I picked up a late-80s 12" by an Egyptian Lover protege, the Lover II, on the strength of the cover. I wish I could post a photo-- he's standing sideways to the camera, back to back with a woman in a red one-piece bathing suit, pumps and straightened and teased hair. He's got a mid-length, relatively dry curl and some gold cop-frame eyeglasses. Each of them is holding a gun-- her a mac 10, him a nasty looking shotgun. What makes it, though, is his clothes-- a double-breasted fire-engine red suit with matching shirt and faux-snakeskin Stacey Adams.

On the back cover, it reads:

"Sexy red suit purchased at:
    Emilio's in the Del Amo Mall (Said)"[/b]