Galt Mcdermot Documentary (trailer related)

Comments

• I dunno maybe since I don't get all "squirty" over "beat digger bullshit" , but why do people swing on Galt's nuts so much? I mean I've flipped through his LP's and a lot of that shit is ZzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz (aside from Hot Coffe Cold and "ripped open..."). Really not feeling how they keep trying to force this dude onto us thinking he's a forgotten genius or something.

Am I missing something?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I dunno maybe since I don't get all "squirty" over "beat digger bullshit" , but why do people swing on Galt's nuts so much? I mean I've flipped through his LP's and a lot of that shit is ZzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz (aside from Hot Coffe Cold and "ripped open..."). Really not feeling how they keep trying to force this dude onto us thinking he's a forgotten genius or something.

Am I missing something?

seriously.

I fucking hate musicals.

• word

i'm drunk

only faggets witouht actual ears would think his ass is brilliant. I swear Ego needs to hang-up his hard-on for early 90's nostalgia beat digging and be like "this shit sounds like every 12$ private press i find at a record show"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Cotton Comes to Harlem soundtrack is some serious shit. Dope as hell.

I'd like to hear some of the more obscure stuff - some people say it's bonkers, while others claim it's over-rated.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

I thought this record was a little boring. I only like maybe 2 tracks on it.

I still wouldn't mind having that Nucleus lp though...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    there is so much blasphemy happening in this thread.

Galt has a crazy piano style that I love. Kinda like a more soulful Thelonious Monk. Hair is such a strsange and fascinating play and I think the rhythms and melodies that galt contributed is the main reason.

LTTSI is hottt to deff

admitedly his style isn't for everyone but I dig him a whole lot and he is more than just sample fodder

• Kinda like a more soulful Thelonious Monk

so much blasphemy

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Kinda like a more soulful Thelonious Monk

so much blasphemy

haha, I thought that would catch some attention. I meant more in his playing style than in his actual ability.

I break down most jazz piano players as either more Bud Powell-like or Thelonious Monk-like, with like 95% of musicians I hear falling under the Powell style. Galts style is a little more abstrct yet incorporates funky and soulful elements so therefore I place him a little more on the Monk side.

• This has some good moments. Bernard purdie on drums.

• I thought this record was a little boring. I only like maybe 2 tracks on it.

I still wouldn't mind having that Nucleus lp though...

I have the Bey and remember feeling the same way when I brought it home, and I haven't listened to it since... that was 3 years ago. The cover is great though. I'm getting ready to move, and just about to rifle through the entire collection to get rid of "filler" or at least non-essentials.

Duffer on Nucleus is what's what.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i like Nucleus. GHetto Suite has a few cool tracks too

• but why do people swing on Galt's nuts so much?

"Space" is a great track... he's no forgotten genius tho. Playing ability isn't incredible, and his compositions are nothing overly original with the exception of a few (the above, "Ripped open", etc.). If it weren't for the fact that he's been sampled many times over, there would not be all this attention.

• word

i'm drunk

only faggets witouht actual ears would think his ass is brilliant. I swear Ego needs to hang-up his hard-on for early 90's nostalgia beat digging and be like "this shit sounds like every 12$ private press i find at a record show"

This post can no longer be edited because the maximum edit time has expired

. Yo! This is real wack of me. Sorr y'all.