RAP BEFORE HIPHOP WAS BORN

Comments

• montymonty 420 Posts

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

??? gangsta lookin dude...!

not really looking for stuff like isaac hayes, barry white, gil scott heron, melvin van peebles spoken word raps, more along the lines of the last poets or records like breakin bread with the rhythm being closer to what later became rap music/ hiphop

• check some billy "butterball" crane - "steppin' tall" and "butterballs"

• Pigmeat Markham... what's that joint, "I Got The Number"? That's basically straight up rap right there. And the Vibrations "Ain't No Greens In Harlem".

Even though they aren't rhyming on the beat, "Hustler's Convention" is the closest thing to being the father of hip hop-style rap that there is. All the old school rap pioneers like Mele Mel and Grandmaster Caz studied that record religiously back in the early days. You can hear a lot of similarities in the way Mel used his inflection and how Jalal Nuriddin did his thing on "Hustler's conventon". Mel even did a remake on one of his albums back in the 80's.

• Maaan... disco rap is the shit! I love disco rap/early rap!

Does anyone know any disco songs (not early rap songs) with rap/chanting/spoken words or somethng that maybe sounds like rap? I know some songs, and I know it have to exist other songs like that...

Like Salsoul Orchestra's "Ooh I love It (Love Break)"

or maybe any seriously unheard dope disco rap gems in the style of Outlaw Four/Mr Magic & Pookey Blow/Sharod/Universal Two/Mr. B/Nice & Nasty 3/Willie Wood/Little Starsky/Eye Beta Rock/Fly Guy/Xanadu/Sicle Cell & Rhapazooty/Eddie Cheba//Spyder D/Sweet G???....................................................................

Dont know what Im talking about?
    checc it out: http://www.juno.co.uk/products/184025-01.htm

anyone knows or have any recommendations?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Terry Durham - Crystal Telephone LP on Deram

• to early for me Grope! 10 years later would be better..

pigmeat markham, the vibrations, billy butterball crane and even some shit on deram terry durham.... yooo thanks guys, i got some serious checkin to do

mp3's would be mindblowin though

btw, ima post some crazy rap shit non of you heard before dated all the way back to 1962 later today....

peace.

ok heres some bugged out shit, this is not from the bronx or no way near, this is a track called Store Penge (Big Money), danish rap music from 1962, crazy, but they actually do rap....

http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3B6KCK3CL591G0MFMD60A2NNZM

• In addition to the Butterball and Bill Crane records mentioned above, there are a bunch of other records by late 60s radio personality types that are basically rhymed disc jockey patter over funk instros, like:

Georgie Woods: "Potato Salad"
    Herman the Soul Burner: "Louisiana Rapper"
    Jackie & Tut with Herb Kent: "10-2 Double Plus"
    Gary Byrd: "Soul Traveling"
    Charlie Chuck: "Disc Jockey Rap"

Our own Mr. Finewine played a lot of these on a show he did years ago.

These are kind of rap-ish, too, but less like DJ patter:

Willie Tomlin: "Check Me Baby"
    Leon Gardner: "Who Are You?"

And these are more debatable, but are basically talky records over hard beats:
    Lowell Fulsom: "Tramp"
    Faust: "We Are the Hollow Men"
    Lou Rawls: "Lifetime Monologue"

I suspect there are about a million more, depending on how you draw the lines.

i remember watching some real old jazz footage with cab calloway, i was amazed cause he was actually rapping on beat, this shit was from the 1930's something, incredible to watch, mc'ing 40 years before sugharhill dropped the first one,...rap older than rock ???