I/J/I vs. BBD

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I was listening to this Lp last night....... and thought about these cats......... Who you got?Isley Brothers do beat out New Edition, but when you put the offshoot groupsagainst one another...........Hmmmmm???

Comments

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    Good one!
    tough ....

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

Isley Brothers do beat out New Edition

naw man... i cant agree to this one. however i think the isleys suck balls and should of given up singing DECADES ago... for me... isleys aint got shit on BBD...

• I was listening to this Lp last night.......

and thought about these cats.........

Who you got?

Isley Brothers do beat out New Edition, but when you put the offshoot groups
    against one another...........Hmmmmm???

BBD beats IJI. Isleys vs. NE is not a contest and I will not even dignify that by declaring the victor. What about Bobby Brown vs. Ronald "Mr. Biggs" Isley? Battle of the R&B felons... I'd love to take Bobby, but hell to the naw. Mr. Biggs in a landslide.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

naw man... i cant agree to this one. however i think the isleys suck balls and should of given up singing DECADES ago... for me... isleys aint got shit on BBD...

When I read this, I was originally going to respond with something along the lines of "Are you out of your fucking mind or something?", but then I thought about it and I realised you're probably right on the "giving up" front. The last Isleys record that I though was in any way up there with their classic shit (and I do think it's mad underrated) was probably the "Smooth Sailin'" album, and that was about 1985.

Even with those Bomb Squad beats, BBD were never much more than just another New Jack Swing act as far as I was concerned, and I preferred latter-day New Edition (and even Ralph Tresevant's solo stuff) to most of their shit anyway. I don't think anything they did even touches "Caravan Of Love", which is a fucking great song, even if IJI never came close to it themselves on any of their other records. The Isleys are one of my favourite groups of all time, though, and I'm always a little surprised at why they don't seem to be as highly-regarded as a lot of their contemporaries. When you look at their body of work across the twenty-odd years they were really hittin', there's some incredible music amongst it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What's the word on these?..........critique please.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    What's the word on these?..........critique please.

Clunker.

One or two good-ish tracks on this, as I recall. Nothing as good as either "Caravan Of Love" or "Insatiable Woman", though.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

When I read this, I was originally going to respond with something along the lines of "Are you out of your fucking mind or something?", but then I thought about it and I realised you're probably right on the "giving up" front. The last Isleys record that I though was in any way up there with their classic shit (and I do think it's mad underrated) was probably the "Smooth Sailin'" album, and that was about 1985.

sorry i should of said more... i dont care for a lot (not all) of their stuff from the end of the 70s on through to now. yes there are nice tracks on every record but overall i would of taken BBD over that era of the Isleys. i think they fell off really bad as a family and thats kinda more what i was getting at... sorry if i hurt anyone with that comment.

...but a new jack swing group? mmmm.... okayyyyy i guess. i wouldnt of called it that but shit... what do i know? i thought saturn records was in berkeley my whole life and this past week if find out its really considered oakland...