My contribution to Soulstrut (Marc Moulin related)

BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
All those 'little dudes don't have respect' threads made me thinking. Being the most little dude of all, there's not much knowledge I can add to the strut. But because I learned a lot over here, I think it's time to give y'all something back.
There are two belgian records I want to talk about, both on which Marc Moulin has contributed. Take this post as it is.

Lieven - Jus d'Orange Lp (Warner 1976)[/b]

Lieven is a belgian singer/songwriter, and this is his only record. It has nine tracks, most of them being pop songs, but it has two or three nice grooves on it. The record was co-produced by Marc Moulin, who also played keys on one or two tracks. Bruno Castellucci (Belgian jazz drummer/percussionist, Placebo-member) also did drums and percussion on this album. 'Spitsuur' is my favourite track on this one. In english, spitsuur means rush hour. It starts of with a funky keyboard groove, played by Mr. Moulin, and ends with a nice electric guitar solo by dutch guitar player Eef Albers. The atmosphere in the song is really the same atmosphere of a rush hour.
Also, the 7 minutes and a half instrumental jam 'Akkerwinde' has some very cool parts.

I first heard this record because my aunte asked to put her favourite record on cd. Her husbands name is also Lieven, and she thinks the music is very romantic (it's true actually). When I had the record, I put it in my expedit and let it sit there for months, thinking it was some louzy pop music. After a while I finally gave it a listen and I actually liked it, and discovered that Marc Moulin was on it. I had to give her the record back, she didn't want to sell it. I only saw it one time after that, and didn't buy it because I thought it was too expensive (it was only ten euros, somebody please kick me in the nuts for not buying this).

The record was re-issued on cd in 1998. The Lp is sought after by lots of belgian collectors.

Fred van Hove & Cel Overberghe - with strings - met strijkers - avec cordes LP (Kamikaze, 1977)[/b]

First a few words on the label: Kamikaze was a local jazz label(the address is in Antwerp) by Paul Evrard (the producer of the record). Evrard also had a jazz programme on a radio station. The label actually was given the name Kamikaze because Evrard just made the records to fail and kill itself like a Kamikaze. I don't know much about the label, I only know that this record is KAM 2, and I know about another record of which only three copies or something exists. On that record (which also features Marc Moulin), Evrard loops a phrase by Belgian King Bouduain for 8 minutes (just to illustrate how crazy the music is).

About this record:
Cel overberghe plays sax and Fred Van Hove piano (and he also did the arrangements), the strings are performed by the Scherzo strings quartet. The record is produced by Marc Moulin and Paul Evrard. This is a weird jazz record. It's crazy jazz music combined with classical music. It has 5 tracks, with lengths between 4.55 minutes and 13.50 minutes. The music has a special, deep atmosphere. Cel Overberghe does crazy stuff with his saxophone. I like some parts of the music, but other parts are just not beautiful. (Remember: it was ment to be, that's what the label was for). This record does not appear in any biography/discography of any of the musicians.

I bought a copy of this in a local record store. I saw it there a lot, but never payed attention to it because I thought it was a folk/pop record or something. When I saw it at a fair in a jazz crate, I looked at it better and saw that Evrard and Moulin produced it (I already heard the story about the other Kamikaze record and that's why I knew the name Evrard). I went back to the record store and got crazy because the record was no longer there! When I asked the owner, he got one from under the counter and said: you're lucky, it's the last one. Apparently, Evrard brought in most of his jazz collection to that store (way before I went to that store regularly). I paid 15 euros for this one. I don't know how much copies of this one exist, but I think that one hundred would be a lot.

I'll try to get some snippets online once.

Comments

• Thanks for sharing this! This is what contributing is all about. Moulin is amazing and these records sound straight up heatish. Get back with those sound-clips!

• Wow dude. You are truly contributing...
    All we need is an MP3 to know what it sounds like, then it'll be breakfast, lunch & dinner all in one.
    Nice to hear from different parts of the world repping their dangly bits.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Thanks for sharing this! This is what contributing is all about. Moulin is amazing and these records sound straight up heatish. Get back with those sound-clips!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Thanks for sharing this! This is what contributing is all about. Moulin is amazing and these records sound straight up heatish. Get back with those sound-clips!

Well, maybe it's just me, but I heard some terrible Marc Moulin records. He produced lots of weak stuff...

But I'm excited. I'd love to hear what that record sounds like. Thanks for the info. This site ain't about MP3s though. Would be cool to hear some snippets, but don't feel impelled to post clips at all. Don't sweat it... THANKS FOR THE INFO!

• I'd love to hear what that record sounds like. Thanks for the info. This site ain't about MP3s though.

Seriously dude. Stop with your flippin anti-MP3 crusade... Do you have to mention it at every opp you get?
    Shit is getting boring... Let the people who do enjoy them...enjoy them.

You're getting to be like the bloke at the party that everyone wants to avoid. Don't eat meat, don't wear fur, don't breathe air...

Please?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I'd love to hear what that record sounds like. Thanks for the info. This site ain't about MP3s though.

Seriously dude. Stop with your flippin anti-MP3 crusade... Do you have to mention it at every opp you get?

You're getting to be like the bloke at the party that everyone wants to avoid. Don't eat meat, don't wear fur, don't breathe air...

Please?

Damn! Relax, OK? I was just saying thanks and trying to tell a relatively new member to take it easy. I'd enjoy to hear an MP3 clip, but nobody should feel constrained to post MP3s of complete albums on here. Some new members might think that MP3 clips are necessary amongst info about records. I'm not on an anti-MP3 crusade. Why do you keep thinking that I'm hating on MP3s? I don't even know you. And you don't know me. Why do you keep posting stuff like that? You seem to be very angry at me.

What party are you talking about?

• I'd love to hear what that record sounds like. Thanks for the info. This site ain't about MP3s though.

Please?

Damn! Relax, OK? I was just saying thanks and trying to tell a relatively new member to take it easy. I'd enjoy to hear an MP3 clip, but nobody should feel constrained to post MP3s of complete albums on here. Some new members might think that MP3 clips are necessary amongst info about records. I'm not on an anti-MP3 crusade. Why do you keep thinking that I'm hating on MP3s? I don't even know you. And you don't know me. Why do you keep posting stuff like that? You seem to be very angry at me.

What party are you talking about?

The Annual Strutters MP3 Ball of 2005.

Man you are way too sensitive. Angry... I'm not even slighly khaki...
    We know YOUR[/b] stance against MP3s. Just let it go.
    Please.

And um, er...new members can do what they want, when they want. The mods are here to police, not you.

We all said thanks, but you had to make a snide remark about them. It's annoying.
    I'm about to post up 5 albums in MP3 format. You're welcome to download & then delete as soon as you've heard them. It's called sharing information.

It'd be nice to hear who this Marc Moulin is. #%@$ a snippet though.

Oh & I went out with one of your Bavarian cousins...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

The Annual Strutters MP3 Ball of 2005.

Man you are way too sensitive. Angry... I'm not even slighly khaki...
    Please.

And um, er...new members can do what they want, when they want. The mods are here to police, not you.

We all said thanks, but you had to make a snide remark about them. It's annoying.
    I'm about to post up 5 albums in MP3 format. You're welcome to download & then delete as soon as you've heard them. It's called sharing information.

It'd be nice to hear who this Marc Moulin is. #%@$ a snippet though.

Oh & I went out with one of your Bavarian cousins...

Even if I had something against MP3s... you're on a message board. You'll have to deal with people that disagree with you. I never hated on MP3s. I don't really think that you're reading any of my posts. You're annoying me. Talking about my Bavarian cousins? What is that all about?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

What's the matter with you?

• You're annoying me. Talking about my Bavarian cousins? What is that all about?

Dude... S.E.N.S.E. O.F. H.U.M.O.U.R.... Relax! Sheesh.
    Don't be so bloody damn German... Aiiight cobber!

Settle petal...

El Chicles are good. Might post up some MP3s later...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    El Chicles are good. Might post up some MP3s later...

no need to do that. i got their good records already. PEACE, idiotproof!

Don't call me German though. I was born in Germany, but spent most of my time on the internet...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i got their good records already. PEACE, idiotproof!

on vinyl that is...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

on vinyl that is...

Their version of Caravan is one of my favorite tracks ever!!! Make sure to post that one...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

on vinyl that is...

Their version of Caravan is one of my favorite tracks ever!!! Make sure to post that one...

just listening to it! Ahhhhh man, Hippie Funk Rock Soul Jazz Psych Pop... it's all in there!!!

• That's more like it... Get that funny bone working...

...but the 1st sign of madness is talking to yourself. The second is answering yourself.

I've only got 'The Best of El Chicles' No 'Caravan' included...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

I've only got 'The Best of El Chicles' No 'Caravan' included...

try soulseek, hahaha! it's on the viva tirado lp...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    You guys really shit all over this dude's thread, huh?

Blast kid - nice write up on the records, makes me want to check 'em out. Hope you can hook up the snippets, cause OG Belgian pressings of anything don't pass my way too often.

• For those who asked for it:
    Lieven - spitsuur
    => the great joint I described in my previous post. What a groove.
    Fred Van Hove & Cel Overberghe - 'k Zou zo gere willen leve => The beginning of the track is beautiful, but the song evolves to some saxophone chaos.

and because I'm such a nice guy: here's another mp3 I want to share

Etienne Verschueren & het BRT Jazzorkest - Nando
    => a funky jazz joint from 1982. from the lp:

Etienne Verschueren - MR. Blue Lp (BRT, 198?)[/b]

This Lp is a selection of unpublished recordings by Etienne Verschueren & the BRT jazz orchestra from 1973-1984. BRT is Belgian national radio & television broadcasting company (nowadays the name changed to VRT). Etienne Verschueren is a saxophone player who played with many greats (nathan davis, jack sels, benny bailey, francy Boland, ...) and was a long time leader of this orchestra. He only put out his first record under his own name in 1983 (Etienne Verschueren quaret - Early spring Lp on the belgian jazz label Jazz cats). He died in 1985.

About the lp: All tracks were recorded in the BRT studios in Brussels. The mp3 I posted is Nando, a song which starts with nice bass, drums and percussion. Some other songs are Oleo, written by Sonny Rollins and arranged by Sadi (Belgiums greatest vibes player), and Stockholm Sweetening, written by Quincy Jones.
    This Lp was pressed by BRT itself, and was only distributed in Belgium and The Netherlands. I don't have a clue about how many copies exist, but I don't think it was pressed in big quantity. I found this one in a thrift store for 2.50 euros.

Anyways, writing this stuff is fun. When I have the material I'll write an ish on Belgian records.

• So, how do y'all like the mp3's?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    So, how do y'all like the mp3's?

I like the smoothness of liven spitsur, it is a nice intro on etienne, really feeling fred van
    Thx for all of this. Props to your descriptions as well