Goldie Lookin Chain

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
never heard them mentioned here before. anybody a fan of these guys?peace, stein. . .

Comments

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Never heard of them. Are they good?

• they're all from the same town as me & i think i went to school with a few of them...

they're pretty much a novelty act though: middle class kids dressing up...

• Definitely not a fan.

I just don???t find anything appealing about them.

Musically they clearly suck, and I just don???t get the humour at all.

As far as I can see they have just taken the ???crazy welsh dude??? blueprint held down by Headcase Lads/Dirty Sanchez and gave it a commercial angle.

I cant believe they got signed, that???s the state of the UK I???m afraid.

• ummm, i kinda like it, or at least the two songs i heard. silly, but clever and kind of fun.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Don't like them.

I will stretch this and say that I love Goldie tho.

• CLabCLab 76 Posts
    aren't they the UK equivalent of ugly duckling?

• aren't they the UK equivalent of ugly duckling?

No.

Ugly Duckling make quality music and have an old school hip hop image.
    Whereas GLC are all about image, the music is secondary.

UD add humour and fun to their music/shows.
    GLC are just acting stupid and as far as I can see are talentless.

No.

Whereas GLC are all about image, the music is secondary.

UD add humour and fun to their music/shows.
    GLC are just acting stupid and as far as I can see are talentless.

i kinda like both and think of them as being of the same ilk, although GLC are definitely way less earnest. then again, they could do a vegetarian rap opera for their second LP, too, so who knows?

with u.d. we try to make timeless music period. image? well we really dont have one. with glc its seems they came up with an image and then said okay now we gotta make some music. i do like one of their songs about suicide with "elefant called slowly" sample. peace, stein. . .

• To put it simply GLC are utter shit.

End of...

• with glc its seems they came up with an image and then said okay now we gotta make some music.

just out of curiosity, what is GLC's image? i haven't seen photos, videos or even seen the cover of a record, just heard a few tracks on college radio and thought the songs stood OK by themselves.

• Good comparison. It's almost like pisstake rap too achingly close to Morris Minor & the Majors.
    Headcase Lads for sure.... GLC, not on my life...
    Love my UK hip hop... but that just isn't doing it...

Love the new Blade single, 'Mumps'... Killer uptempo funk horn type of shit...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

bad move!!! ugly duckling really makes timeless music. in fact, ud is one of the few groups that doesn't stick to any "image". my girlfriend (who knows nothing about music) notices that ud and old school groups have something in common, but that's about it. it's just about making good music. einstein's music doesn't even sound that "old school". it's just the sound of good samples and the sampling technique (equipment)...
    i hate the talk about being old shool or having an old school image.

my friends love goldie lookin chain. i only heard one song by glc. i liked it a lot. not bad. it was good music, but i don't know anything about the group and can't remember what the lyrics were about. are all the other songs crap?

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    glc are a pile of wank but gets far too much attention around these parts (bristol is near to newport where they are from)

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

To put it simply GLC are utter shit.

End of...

I got their last album for review. Didn't like it, didn't like the first one either. Not funny, not interesting. Too much image and not enough substance. The spliff rolling thing on the website was kinda cool.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I like GLC. They're having a laugh and they're not trying to be anything else than a bunch of piss takers.

• I like GLC. They're having a laugh and they're not trying to be anything else than a bunch of piss takers.

Do we really need more pisstakers though...
    Five Headed Retard, The Babylonians, Party Fun Action Committee, etc... are enough.