Attn LA heads - What up with the MM label?

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
So I've seen a handful of LP's on this label, I can't remember too many of the albums, but I found a Lamont Dozier from '82 on this label today that is really really nice. I also found an album from a guy named Tommy Jones on M&M circa '75that has 2 or 3 nice funky jazz tracks. Do folks on here know anything about this label? I never hear it mentioned and I'm fairly sure they don't have too many releases but I'm always curious about finding local goodness

Comments

• lol I passed on Lamont due to condition issues (for selling)...should see what else I copped there ;-)

only other LP I know on M&M is Gemini which is fairly hard to find.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    lol I passed on Lamont due to condition issues (for selling)...should see what else I copped there ;-)

DIE!

dammit, I give you BP, I give you PCC what more do you want? blood???

• lol I passed on Lamont due to condition issues (for selling)...should see what else I copped there ;-)

DIE!

dammit, I give you BP, I give you PCC what more do you want? blood???

ey cuz, stash the jheri curl activators and aqua sheen records. They are not safe around this 160lbs of fury.

• Guzzo: Yes - M&M is simply a great short lived modern soul/80's funk label from CA. Many interesting releases. But one of the very interesting ones is Silver, Platinum & Gold "Hollywood" on M&M's division "Neptune" label from 1981. The Q.T. "Want Some Get Some" 12" also from 1981 has some great disco-funk ala Gap Band style. Also, the Special Delivery "Livin On The Run" LP that I got from someone on the board has nice modern soul on it.

Hey, you gotta check out that Orlando Johnson LP... 1983 Italian Boogie at it's best.

• Devaki is sicker. Dunn and Bruce Street Offical Business. Deal with it.

ap

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Also, the Special Delivery "Livin On The Run" LP that I got from someone on the board has nice modern soul on it.

doh, I don't tihnk its a secret that weed makes you forget things

hope you enjoying it

AP[/b] Dun & Bruce Street is the truth!

• Damn - I didn't knew this was a M&M sub label. I can't rival with AP on modern soul LP's anyways. Here are the M&M record lists:

http://www.zeiger.franken.de/Labels/LP/LP_R&L.html

http://www.zeiger.franken.de/Labels/12/12_R&L.html

• anything but daryl inman. that dude is a sexual preditor.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    preditor.

• Orlando Johnson and Corrado Rizza

US modern soul?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    [US modern soul?

small NY press. relatively inexpensive Lp too

• Ahh, not a M&M thing!

I would be curious to hear this one day.

• sik

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    sik

Free Life bitches!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    sik

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Two different labels. The Tommy Jones M&M is Chicago jazz shit, the Gemini M&M is your modern-soul shit.

• Two different labels. The Tommy Jones M&M is Chicago jazz shit, the Gemini M&M is your modern-soul shit.

There're also some swell funk 45s on M&M. Clarence Wheeler had stuff out on M&M before getting picked up by Atlantic.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Two different labels. The Tommy Jones M&M is Chicago jazz shit, the Gemini M&M is your modern-soul shit.

There're also some swell funk 45s on M&M. Clarence Wheeler had stuff out on M&M before getting picked up by Atlantic.

there's some really rare doowop & funk 45s & some not so rare R&B 45s too.

I like that Tommy Jones 'Song for Mary' lp on M&M - there's a coltrane-ish modal thing on there that's pretty cool.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    So I've seen a handful of LP's on this label, I can't remember too many of the albums, but I found a Lamont Dozier from '82 on this label today that is really really nice. I also found an album from a guy named Tommy Jones on M&M circa '75that has 2 or 3 nice funky jazz tracks. Do folks on here know anything about this label? I never hear it mentioned and I'm fairly sure they don't have too many releases but I'm always curious about finding local goodness

Trivia: I remember the bio that accompanied Sequel/Castle UK's Lamont Dozier Anthology stating that the Los Angeles M&M Records label was created and run by some ex-Motown employees.

SG

• chrischris 287 Posts
    everything you would ever want to know(and probably more) concerning the chicago m&m and related.