Do people really listen to Lady Sovereign?

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Just checking. Shits kinda not so very good at all but even MIA was still pretty good with the similar amount of hype behind her.

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i hope not... i spin grime and i think she's fairly terrible, yet she seems to be getting big... i had someone tell me she was more talented than Dizzee, which to me is like saying Nelly is better than Method Man...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The answer to this question depends upon whether or not you consider bloggers to be "people"--that technicality aside, I would say the answer for the rest of the population is "no".

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    So Jay signing her = tax writeoff? I honestly can't see her penetrating the Gwen Stefani fanbase that she so desperately needs and probably the only group that even remotely check for her.

So Jay signing her = tax writeoff? I honestly can't see her penetrating the Gwen Stefani fanbase that she so desperately needs and probably the only group that even remotely check for her.

nah, i mean, at all of all the grime people, she is getting the most shine b/c she's a 5 foot white girl who raps in patois... and she is poppy. jay z has always been on some next level jetsetting shit (he first heard "beware the boys" in a club in switzerland...) and really grime is no different than Houston rap, in the sense that's it's a tightly knit regional scene... that said, lady soveriegn isn't on any pirate radio tapes...

i think if they find the right beat for her and naturally have Jay do a cameo, they'll do ok... honestly, they need to break into the pop market b/c i don't think the urban market wants to hear it...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i spin grime

Quick side-tracking... how do you like Vex'd?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    So Jay signing her = tax writeoff?

Who knows... Jay has extremely suspect taste, having collabed with both Phish and Linkin Park.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    not to mention fall out boy

i spin grime

just saw Jamie from Vex'd spin a few weeks back in nyc... FUCKING AWESOME... hung out with him for a while, cool guy who def. knows his music... i really need to cop their LP on Planet Mu, but i can't find it anywhere... grime, dubstep, grim, whatever you call it, shit is tight as hell... it's what jungle should soound like in 2005...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Fall Out Boy is on Island Def Jam, so he SORT OF gets a pass for that though. Linkin Park and Phish shit is definitely not a good look but you can't deny that the Linkin Park shit was straight cash.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i spin grime

grime, dubstep, grim, whatever you call it, shit is tight as hell... it's what jungle should soound like in 2005...

Fucking yes! One of my fav. LP's of the year. Was kinda let down that the vinyl didn't have "Gunman", but that's on a 12" so i can still cop. "Lion VIP" is fucking raw too.

Glad to find another strutter into Vex'd!

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    yeah I do.

she may not be very skreet, but she's got some verbal agility. I think w/ the right beats, she'll get something good going.

• i've not heard her. but have seen her in every magazine i've opened in the last 3 months. i want to hire her publicist. peace, stein. . .

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    i've not heard her. but have seen her in every magazine i've opened in the last 3 months. i want to hire her publicist. peace, stein. . .

Is this f'real??

When I was bored in the office, a buddy and I used to rhyme battle her on the So Solid Crew website....for laffs y'hear. Under the names Big Dole and Bimma Keys.

AKA the Krochet Kru.

Please don't tell me she's getting hyped in the US.....cos we killed it !

• i've not heard her. but have seen her in every magazine i've opened in the last 3 months. i want to hire her publicist. peace, stein. . .

Is this f'real??

When I was bored in the office, a buddy and I used to rhyme battle her on the So Solid Crew website....for laffs y'hear. Under the names Big Dole and Bimma Keys.

AKA the Krochet Kru.

Please don't tell me she's getting hyped in the US.....cos we killed it !
    yes. they are doing absurd amounts of press with her. peace, stein. . .

• No-one in the UK is feeling her - except maybe the fashion mags and their slavish cohorts. Catastrophically awful, but i guess it's meant more as pop music than anything vaguely underground.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    No-one in the UK is feeling her - except maybe the fashion mags and their slavish cohorts. Catastrophically awful, but i guess it's meant more as pop music than anything vaguely underground.

Not entirely true. Mixes of "Random" have been given generous airplay on respected shows like Gilles Petersons "Worldwide".

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    i cant really stand the whole grime sound

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Sov's already signed to Island in the UK anyway, so there's a corporate connection there to begin with. Maybe Jay's patronage of her is more to do with him wanting to appear plugged in, as far as his new playmates are concerned. I'm generally a bit sceptical about British emcees of any stripe, to be quite honest - there are far more average, or just plain bad, ones than good. What I'll say about Sov though is she's got charisma, can deliver a lyric, and is a great live performer. All this is quite handy, as she's got three strikes against her in emceeing terms already - white, female, British. I first saw her about three years back, battling with a lot of big lads, and she tore them all a new arsehole, so she can hold her own. Her label's marketing her as a pop-star (Basement Jaxx produced her new single), and it might happen for her at that level. But trying to push her - or anyone British - as a serious emceeing force to a US audience is a complete waste of time and money. Never gonna happen. Ever.

• Her label's marketing her as a pop-star (Basement Jaxx produced her new single)

Herein lies the problem. That hoodies track is so kiddie-pop I feel like a paedophile for even listening to it.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Her label's marketing her as a pop-star (Basement Jaxx produced her new single)

Herein lies the problem. That hoodies track is so kiddie-pop I feel like a paedophile for even listening to it.

We've seen it happen before as well, Glamma Kid being a great example - major label signs hot/promising "urban"/street act and immediately pushes them in a pop direction. End result is too street for the pop audience and too pop for the street. Act is quickly dropped. Repeat.

• I don't really see how anyone could call Lady Sovereign or MIA 'grime'

it's meant more as pop music than anything vaguely underground.

I mean grime, to me anyways, is that off the wall bugged out computer game sounding stuff ala Dizzee and Wylie and others.

But I kinda like LS, she's 'cheeky'. But she needs to do something with that too-tight-sidways-ponytail action she's got going on...

Pharrell approves

• But she needs to do something with that too-tight-sidways-ponytail action she's got going on...

That's known round these parts as a Romford Facelift

• But she needs to do something with that too-tight-sidways-ponytail action she's got going on...

That's known round these parts as a Romford Facelift

yeah right? see how it pulls her mouth to the side like that?^^^^^^^^^^

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I'm surprised she hasn't got a sponsorship deal from Sovereign.

Cos she got her name from 'dEm, cOs daT Be mE favERitE braNd of FagS, iNnit'.

Her old, old website was .