Moldy Covers

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Do you toss 'em or try to clean the shit

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Toss.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    it's almost impossible to remove mold completely from paper - too porous.

mold really fucks some people up - asthmatics, kids, pregnant ladies and older folks especially. can mean lifelong respiratory problems. i don't think you want it in the store jonny.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    fatback made the definitive post on this a few months ago. where'd it go?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Beyond cleanable. Didn't get tossed 'cause the vinyl was minty, and I didn't have another copy. Anyone got a spare cover?

• I think it adds a wonderful aura and sense of sponginess to the covers.

Definately keep em.

• it's almost impossible to remove mold completely from paper - too porous.

mold really fucks some people up - asthmatics, kids, pregnant ladies and older folks especially. can mean lifelong respiratory problems. i don't think you want it in the store jonny.

I'm catching mad sinus pain right now.

• Beyond cleanable. Didn't get tossed 'cause the vinyl was minty, and I didn't have another copy. Anyone got a spare cover?

Anyone got a spare copy?

here's the post, but he removed the good pictures.

• Beyond cleanable. Didn't get tossed 'cause the vinyl was minty, and I didn't have another copy. Anyone got a spare cover?

I'm pretty sure I have a spare cover, I don't think its mint though. I'll check it out this weekend.

• it's almost impossible to remove mold completely from paper - too porous.

My first apartment had the worst mold in the world. Total slum-lord quality. Chunks, and I mean CHUNKS of mold would fall from inside our ventilation system in our bathroom, hit the fan and fucking SPRAY the inside of the shower with mold shrapnel. One time I was taking a shower and I heard this clunking noise and I knew what was coming and jumped out of the shower. I heard a clunk, the fan stopped and two second later it cut through the chunk of mold and sprayed everywhere inside the shower!

I moved out quickly after that.

it's almost impossible to remove mold completely from paper - too porous.

My first apartment had the worst mold in the world. Total slum-lord quality. Chunks, and I mean CHUNKS of mold would fall from inside our ventilation system in our bathroom, hit the fan and fucking SPRAY the inside of the shower with mold shrapnel. One time I was taking a shower and I heard this clunking noise and I knew what was coming and jumped out of the shower. I heard a clunk, the fan stopped and two second later it cut through the chunk of mold and sprayed everywhere inside the shower!

haha!!! DUDE!!!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

anyhow, mold: If it's like that Natural 4 you gotta toss that shit. If it's like just the bottom part of the cover, but pretty bad, what I do is bust the cover open (like fatback said) & let it air out. If it's still wet put it near a window in the sun. once you can wipe most of the mold away I put it in a plastic sleeve & then put the plastic sleeve in a Japanese bag with the vinyl outside the cover. Works fairly well, but be sure it's completely dry. I hate having coverless vinyl in some generic 12' sleeve. But, I guess some are OK with that.

• OK these records are raer. COVERED in the black shit though, all inside. It's not just crubling off, still dots are left.

Should I throw them out.

Anyone got a Professionals On Tour sleeve for me

• The black shit is in huge clumps... shit is like 1, 2 cm raised from the cardboard!

is it just growing inside the cover?

• Inside it's the worst. But it's covering much of the outside as well. BLACK SPORES

Inside it's the worst. But it's covering much of the outside as well. BLACK SPORES

• ill bet you can buy something that will kill it at home depot or something and then just put the shit in plastic slip cover.

or just go make a color photocopy and slip it in with a plain white cover just to have it. If its that important a record to you.

done and done

• Inside it's the worst. But it's covering much of the outside as well. BLACK SPORES

I think I gotta toss them. My nose feels like I've been spraypainting indoors.

REPORT TO SLEEVESTRUT!

• Black spores are the worst. The grey mold that is kind of dusty, seems to be pretty easy to remove permanently, though it does dust up and can scatter into the air.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    ill bet you can buy something that will kill it at home depot or something and then just put the shit in plastic slip cover.

or just go make a color photocopy and slip it in with a plain white cover just to have it. If its that important a record to you.

done and done

Words of truth. If its a cover I really really can't part with, I use my fany 2.5 mil acrylic sleeves and make what I call a "biohazard sleeve."

First, I clean the cover as much as I can with windex, etc. I make sure there is no black, white, or green mold visible or in clumps on the outside, inside, and edges of the cover. I let the cover dry. Then I slip it in one plastic sleeve. Then I slip another sleeve over that so that the opening is face inwards. Then I slip another sleeve over that, and put the record in that final sleeve. Voila, any mold that dares to re-grow will have little to no chance for escape. The 2.5 mil with the extra space allows you to make this happen. You'd never be able to do this with snug 3 mil sleeves.

I hate mold.

If its a sleeve I don't need or common, I chuck it and make sure its outside before the day ends. You don't need mold propagating in your air, for sure.

Black spores are the worst.

yeah, if they are just starting you can sometimes get them, but it sounds like they have won. Mold = the raer-eating monster.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Inside it's the worst. But it's covering much of the outside as well. BLACK SPORES

Mang, those covers are alive, toss them out.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I've sone my best to preserve a couple covers like this. Even developed a little method

1. get a spray bottle and load it with rubbing alcohol

2. give a light spritz or 2 from about a foot away so that it mists onto the cover

3. use a dry cotton cloth and pat the cover, don't rub it cause you may ned up removing/ tearing the artwork.

4. allow to dry and do again until you feel you have removed all you can.

• I am feelin you Paycheck. We had a flood in our storage area during the 9 days of rain. Lost thousands of records. We stopped looking at the titles after a while and just started tossin. the only thing worth salvaging at this point are the 12"s, cause the sleeves for the most part can be replaced with generics. We are having the mod prob now, and it is groos. Dehumidifers running all day. The longer you wait to get the mold off, the worse it is, cause that shit starts to wear down the grooves after time. Be selective in terms of what you are slavaging, but worry about your health 1st..

• i just put em in the garage, i hate moldy covers. i would rather have a mint cover with a scratchy record. fuck some mold staight up. peace, stein. . .