Recommendations for fan of Bobby Hutcherson

BrendanBrendan 2 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I managed to download Bobby Hutcherson's "Now" LP from that monster thread here and loved it. Can anyone recommend more music that is in a similar vein to this? The aspects I liked most was the vocal style, the lyrics, and the slightly pschedelic element of it... it's got that same vibe that drew me to Stark Reality.. except that the B.H album is a little more soulful. If anyone can make some suggestions I'd be really ecited to seek them out.peace

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    That is a really super dope record! None of his other stuff is like that, but I like most of his records. San Francisco is dope too, but no vocals. Some other good bluenote's w/ vocals are Andrew Hill's "Lift Every Voice", Horace Silver's "Total Responce", and both the Eddie Gale records.

• That is a really super dope record! None of his other stuff is like that, but I like most of his records. San Francisco is dope too, but no vocals. Some other good bluenote's w/ vocals are Andrew Hill's "Lift Every Voice", Horace Silver's "Total Responce", and both the Eddie Gale records.

That's the only Bobby Hutcherson record I know of with vocals.

If you like the musical style, you should probably also check the aforementioned "San Francisco" LP and Harold Land's "A New Shade of Blue," both lightly funky LPs featuring more or less the same band. I'd also recommend the Johnny Lytle LPs from the early 70s on Milestone.

If you like the interplay of vocals with jazz instrumentation, you should also check out Donald Byrd's "A New Perspective" (one of the most bitten covers this side of the Elvis or Beatles debuts) and Mary Lou Williams' "Black Christ of the Andes"-- both earlier and hence less psyche-funkish, but great music. The Third Wave LP on MPS is worth a listen, too.

If you just like the vocals, pick up Gene McDaniels' "Outlaw" and "Headless Heroes" LPs-- I don't like either, but then I don't like Gene McDaniels.

• maybe give this a whirl??

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    That is a really super dope record! None of his other stuff is like that, but I like most of his records. San Francisco is dope too, but no vocals. Some other good bluenote's w/ vocals are Andrew Hill's "Lift Every Voice", Horace Silver's "Total Response", and both the Eddie Gale records.

This is good advice.
    You may also like Leon Thomas' records, the anthology Facets on Flying Dutchman is a good place to start if you are unfamiliar.

I would suggest digging into more of Hutcherson's Blue Note catalog. It's my feeling he may be the most musically diverse star they had, both as a leader and a sideman, he really didn't mine things too long, he was pretty restless musically, but usually successful with whatever he put his talent to. Dialogue is on eof my faves from his earlier period, and Happenings is nice too. You really can't go too far off with any of his leader dates.

• I managed to download Bobby Hutcherson's "Now" LP from that monster thread here and loved it.

Can anyone recommend more music that is in a similar vein to this?

The aspects I liked most was the vocal style, the lyrics, and the slightly pschedelic element of it... it's got that same vibe that drew me to Stark Reality.. except that the B.H album is a little more soulful. If anyone can make some suggestions I'd be really ecited to seek them out.

peace
    i was the one who posted that lp - glad you dug it. it's one of my favorites of his too. you really can't go wrong with most any of his blue note lp's (60's to to like '75 he was still putting out heat). a lesser known free jazz-ish lp that bobby hutcherson is incredible on is:

• thanks everyone, i will make a note of those and try to get a hold of as much as I can.