Which is the funkiest town?

2»

Comments

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    Hey P***,

what's gonna happen with Jelly Jazz when you move? Let's sort out these gigs we were tlking about before you leave, ok ? ;-)

Whatever city you choose it will be a great experience. I only moved 70 kms from my hometown to settle down in the city of Can and I defintley regretting it in some ways. Folks here seem to favor Toronto, from a euro pertspective SF sounds cooler but i guess you know this.

Good luck!

• all within 4hrs of driving from Toronto

K.

man what a depressing thread. i usually don't take things said on Soulstrut personally but after hearing y'all shit on my town for like 100 posts i'm feeling down right low. anyway SF may not be the best digging town. and there's a lot of pluses/minuses I won't go into. Kevin's natural beauty post, though, I had to respond to, only because i think lots of people (even Cali residents) sleep on California's landscape. views like the ones pictured above, while within 4 hrs of Torronto, can be found within 1-2 hour of SF. Desert, coast, rainforest, hill country, you name it. Hell, Point Reyes nat'l seashore (some of the most beautiful coast in the world) is only like 20 minutes outside the city...and I'm pretty sure we have better burritos.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

man what a depressing thread. i usually don't take things said on Soulstrut personally but after hearing y'all shit on my town for like 100 posts i'm feeling down right low. anyway SF may not be the best digging town. and there's a lot of pluses/minuses I won't go into. Kevin's natural beauty post, though, I had to respond to, only because i think lots of people (even Cali residents) sleep on California's landscape. views like the ones pictured above, while within 4 hrs of Torronto, can be found within 1-2 hour of SF. Desert, coast, rainforest, hill country, you name it. Hell, Point Reyes nat'l seashore (some of the most beautiful coast in the world) is only like 20 minutes outside the city...and I'm pretty sure we have better burritos.

I know Toronto a whole lot better than I do SF which probably explains the bias. I would say SF is more beautiful, more exotic and a lot more romantic to my UK mind...

• My wife has job offers in San Francisco and Torronto (we live in the UK at present), she's considering which job is better, I'm considering quality of life with respect to clubs and record shopping before I make my suggestion of which place to go. I guess west coast will be better for records and east coast will be better for music/clubs/events, am I wrong? East or West?

Moving to San Francisco is one of the best things I've ever done. It is more expensive to live here but compared to other places in the East Bay (Oakland, Concord, etc.) it's still realitively the same. Plan to spend anywhere between $700 and $900 for a room if you want to live with roommates. I've seen studios go for about $900 to $4000 a month. When I was looking at places about 6 months ago the going rate for a 3 bedroom flat was about $2300. Every once-in-a-while you'll find a landlord that is more interested in finding good long term tenants as opposed to getting the most amount of money possible per month. I saw a sweet place on upper Page St. (a block anyway from Amoebas) that was going for $1900 a month. I would have tried to get it but it was too far from Muni/Bart.

If you want to buy a place forgetaboutit! A Good place goes for anything like $800K to a couple million.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I guess what it boils down to is what strutters you'd rather hang out with -

SF: Rootless, Ms Damn, Hogg & Mrs Hogg, Stef, Jinx (but I'm not certain)

TO: Bassie, K, DOR, Aser (who am I forgetting?)

I'll say that Bassie & K make great hosts!

Rootless is dude, tho...

Musically, I'll take Turf Talk over Choclair.

Its a tough call.

• t dot and sf both cool. i think recordwise go with sf unless you are REALLY into raggae the go toronto(major jamaican presence). peace, stein. . .

• I guess what it boils down to is what strutters you'd rather hang out with -

SF: Rootless, Ms Damn, Hogg & Mrs Hogg, Stef, Jinx (but I'm not certain), DjArcadian[/b]

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    I haven't been to Toronto but from what I've seen, San Francisco is MECCA (no disrespect NYC and Chicago). People take records pretty seriously here--and on the West Coast in general. For example, I think its safe to say the majority of registered users on this board are Californians, and the majority of those Californians are from the SF/Bay Area. But I could be totally wrong on this.

• I haven't been to Toronto but from what I've seen, San Francisco is MECCA (no disrespect NYC and Chicago). People take records pretty seriously here--and on the West Coast in general. For example, I think its safe to say the majority of registered users on this board are Californians, and the majority of those Californians are from the SF/Bay Area. But I could be totally wrong on this.

Yeah but would you want a bunch of strutters as your neighbors?

• Options
    No one takes record seriously here, nobody.

K.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

Hey man, don't let it get you down, Real Headz??? know SF is the the best. Otherwise we wouldn't spend so much money to live here.

Plus we got some friendly natives:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

if you come to toronto, we promise to not punch you in the face, fart on you, give you a firm skateshoe kick and then smile like it was all a big joke.

not in the same night anyway.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    I guess what it boils down to is what strutters you'd rather hang out with -

SF/Bay: Rootless, Ms Damn, Hogg & Mrs Hogg, Stef, Jinx, DJ Arcadian, PeacefulRotation, KidInquisitive, Veegeeminus, Serg, DJ Ferrari, KingMost/YoungPhonics, Gnat, Cool Chris, Tallbobsmoke, ODub, OneSoul, Justalonious, DJ Om, Mongo Slade, luker CeeBee, and more

• Hey P***,

what's gonna happen with Jelly Jazz when you move? Let's sort out these gigs we were tlking about before you leave, ok ? ;-)

Whatever city you choose it will be a great experience. I only moved 70 kms from my hometown to settle down in the city of Can and I defintley regretting it in some ways. Folks here seem to favor Toronto, from a euro pertspective SF sounds cooler but i guess you know this.

Good luck!

Hi Olski
    Don't worry about the gig, you'll still get it!

Anyway, thanks to all the strutters for these comments, and from what you've all said you've confirmed our bias towards Canada. I've been to the US quite a few times (SF, LA, NY, Seatle, Bellingham, Fresno, Santa Barbara) and had some awesome adventures and made some good friends, but to be honest I'm not sure about actually living there. We did spend a fantastic summer in Santa Barbara a few years ago but at the end of it we were glad to leave for the sanity of home, all the 'fear' in the media was depressing plus guns and president Bush are equally un-nerving.
    As for Canada, I've only ever been to the mountains of BC, and I love it there. Plus the country has much better political and environmental stances which is preferable. So if the job in Toronto comes through I'll be pushing my wife to take that one!