International Money Orders/Western Union (Ebay R)

Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
So a guy (from Italy, I presume) recently asked if I would accept an international money order or western union for payment instead of paypal. Anyone have any experience with these forms of payment? Seems ok to me, but I've read enough SS international horror stories to be wary of anything out of the ordinary. Thanks in ad.

Comments

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    So a guy (from Italy, I presume) recently asked if I would accept an international money order or western union for payment instead of paypal. Anyone have any experience with these forms of payment? Seems ok to me, but I've read enough SS international horror stories to be wary of anything out of the ordinary. Thanks in ad.

In terms of receiving western union payment, there shouldn't be any problem at all. i don't know anything about international money orders though.

• I joined eBay in 2000. The #1 rule with ebay in re. to getting scammed on both selling and buying is if anything ain't ordinary, pass.
    #2 rule go with your first gut instinct.
    In my 5 years on the bay i only got burnt once and it was when i didn't follow those 2 rules.

What did your listing say payment options were?

Shits a contract, nah'mean?

~Crates

• the international money order will most likely be a nightmare...I know the US post office only issues international MOs to a few countries and they're all pretty obscure places (Italy is not included I believe), so I'm guessing getting one cashed is gonna be a pain. Tell him to send ca$h!!!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I receive Western Union transfers all the time. There's no way you could have a problem with that. The buyer has to give you the ten digit control number and you are set. You can cash the transfer in any WU agent.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I receive Western Union transfers all the time.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Western Union agents are often located in grocery stores and WalMarts in the US. Is it a moneygram? Or a Western Union Money transfer? As long as his feedback's bueno, go for it. If he's a -0-, not so much.
    Peace
    T.N.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Thanks y'all, I and my soon to be padded pocketbook thank you.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I joined eBay in 2000. The #1 rule with ebay in re. to getting scammed on both selling and buying is if anything ain't ordinary, pass.
    In my 5 years on the bay i only got burnt once and it was when i didn't follow those 2 rules.

~Crates

Or you can look at it like this. Money Orders and Western Union have been around much longer than...hell...even the internet.

I don't like the idea of using a company that can take that money back if someone complains. Really, don't people complain all the time on payment reversals? When was the last time you saw Western Union force someone to give back a payment? lol.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I joined eBay in 2000. The #1 rule with ebay in re. to getting scammed on both selling and buying is if anything ain't ordinary, pass.

~Crates

Or you can look at it like this. Money Orders and Western Union have been around much longer than...hell...even the internet.

I don't like the idea of using a company that can take that money back if someone complains. Really, don't people complain all the time on payment reversals? When was the last time you saw Western Union force someone to give back a payment? lol.

exactly. western union is as good as cash. once it's received of course.

now that i think about it, i've heard about some scams relating to international money orders. people can counterfeit them really well. so i would stay away from those.

western union, on the other hand, is money.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Western Union and IMOs are far safer than Paypal. In fact because of the relative ease of WU and IMO there is no need to ever use paypal.

If he is going to send a money order (or a check) you need to be sure that:
    1) It is in US$.
    2) Drawn on a US bank, or a Postal Money Order.
    3) There are conterfiet checks out there. A quick call to the issueing bank, before shipping, will confirm it is good.

I thought I would send some money by WU once. They wanted an outrageous percentage and fee.

Dan

• so will banks accept international money orders from any country? Because like I said the US postal service will only issue international money orders to the following countries:

Albania
    Anguilla
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Bahamas
    Barbados
    Belize
    Bolivia
    British Virgin Islands
    Canada
    Cape Verde
    Dominica
    Dominican Republic
    Ecuador
    El Salvador ($500 limit)
    Grenada
    Guinea
    Guyana ($500 limit)
    Honduras
    Jamaica
    Japan
    Mali
    Mexico
    Montserrat
    Nigeria
    Peru
    St. Christopher (St. Kitts) and Nevis
    St. Lucia
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    Sierra Leone
    Trinidad and Tobago

I assume there's some reciprocity there, but I'm not sure.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    so will banks accept international money orders from any country? Because like I said the US postal service will only issue international money orders to the following countries:

Albania
    Anguilla
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Bahamas
    Barbados
    Belize
    Bolivia
    British Virgin Islands
    Canada
    Cape Verde
    Dominica
    Dominican Republic
    Ecuador
    El Salvador ($500 limit)
    Grenada
    Guinea
    Guyana ($500 limit)
    Honduras
    Jamaica
    Japan
    Mali
    Mexico
    Montserrat
    Nigeria
    Peru
    St. Christopher (St. Kitts) and Nevis
    St. Lucia
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    Sierra Leone
    Trinidad and Tobago

I assume there's some reciprocity there, but I'm not sure.

Postal Money Order, International Money Order, I think they may be 2 different things. If it is not a Postal Money Order you can't cash it at the Post Office.

As long as the it is in US$ and issued by a US bank there should be no problem. Ask your bank what their policy is with checks and IMOs from other countries. Chances are you will pay a "foriegn item fee" and an "exchange rate fee" if it is not in US$ from a US bank.

Dan