telemarketing (NRR)

autezautez 404 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
i started a telemarketing job today. anybody have any telemarketing stories or job related advice for me? anybody pissed that i've now joined the dark side? its my first job getting paid over 10 bucks an hour so im pretty happy about it.

Comments

• congrats on the job. be prepared for alot of rejection. peace, stein. . .

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    try to hold onto your soul

• "Whats your #? No, I mean your home number.
    Don't like getting calls at home, Huh?
    Me either..."

• i used to do office work for a telecomunications company and my desk was down in the same part as the call center. They were just phoning existing clients to renew phone contracts etc. But to do so, they had to get the account password off the user. Had some great ones. "69er" from a dude who was 74 years old. "killallchristians" "ilovespam" (presumably the spiced meat(?), not the emails) there the only ones i can think of off the top of my head.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i applied for a telemarketing job about two years ago, they hired me, but i was "let go" three days into it........i failed the drug test.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I worked as a telemarketer for 6 months. The office was on the 11.5th floor. not a day went by when I didn't think of jumping to my death.

have fun!

• My first job when I was 16.
    First job interview too, when they lady asked me why I wanted to work there I said "My friend told me it's easy, you get paid a lot, and you don't have to work very hard."

Luckily she let try the question again, and my interview skills have improved since then.

I also developed a uncontrolable yawning issue, that interupted nearly every one of my "pitches."

I thanked the lord for the merciful souls that were sensible hang-up on me.

"Would you like to learn how to get $20 of free gasoline? Just join Shoppers' Advantage!"

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    theres been some talk down here of establishing a 'national do not call register' in response to the proliferation of telemarketing - you have to apply to get on then it'd be pretty much on the ring ring

bonus useless fact # 9457930456: India has a massive call centre industry servicing the likes of the UK & Australia - they work funny hours and have speech training to get local accents downpat, particularly UK ones

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts

bonus useless fact # 9457930456: India has a massive call centre industry servicing the likes of the UK & Australia - they work funny hours and have speech training to get local accents downpat, particularly UK ones

I work in the call centre for a uk insurance company & we have indian call centres. Theyre absolutly crap & cannot understand alot of accents. Tbh neither can i if its scottish people. Im sure they also give them fake names as u have indian guys calling going 'hello my name is dave'.......how many people in india are called dave?!?!

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Worked for about 6 months in a telemarketing firm. The key is to build a routine and be a slow learner. That might not make sense but as soon as I knew all the tricks I quit. It was good money but I just couldn't do that kind of shit anymore.

• bonus useless fact # 9457930456: India has a massive call centre industry servicing the likes of the UK & Australia - they work funny hours and have speech training to get local accents downpat, particularly UK ones

That is so much trouble, that you have to think telemarketing is not gonna die anytime soon.