i've noticed rap artists are mostly solo now

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
not alot of groups anymore huh? i'm talkin mainstream stuff. peace, stein. . .

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    they fulfill the group thing with a dozen or so "featuring ____" on every album

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Well I mean theres tons of "CREWS".

Like dipset and g-unit and stuff.

Boyz in da hood is a group....kind of.

• i think the reason behind it, is that it's easier to market an individual, rather than a few individuals as a unit. being that the marketing of an artist (image, whatnot) is the most important thing right now as far as artist development, it's all about going for dolo these days.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i'm talkin mainstream stuff.

[color:"white" size=7]little brother[/b]

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    major label != mainstream

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I harken back to the days when MCs could actually rap. Now that Curtis "Mumbles" Jackson has taken over the rap scene, Buckwheat could go platinum now!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    i think the reason behind it, is that it's easier to market an individual, rather than a few individuals as a unit. being that the marketing of an artist (image, whatnot) is the most important thing right now as far as artist development, it's all about going for dolo these days.

I think ego is involved too (most of these dudes won't have members of their 'crew' who approach them in talent) as well as trends- pop music will generally concentrate on groups for a while, then solo performers, then cycle back around...

• The bottom line: keeping all the money for yourself > splitting it four ways.

i guess greed always wins out in the end huh? peace, stein. . .

Exactly. Especially for tour money. Think about NSYNC and then Justin. He'll never make another record where he has to split the money 5 ways.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I was thinking about this the other day. On top of not wanting to split a record 5 ways, a lot of these dudes don't need to split studio costs 5 ways either. It's much easier for a major label dude to get studio time without having to pay for it. Whereas, when you'r enot signed, you get a bunch of your homies to pitch in ala Protect Your Neck.

I miss the posse cuts too. You don't hear the whole crew shouting in the background anymore

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

• I miss not the posse cuts but how MC's in groups would finish the rhymes ala ol' skool. There was much hyping up by the non lead MC's goin on in the background. And this was not simply a hype man thing, but a cypher. I think it added a unique atmosphere to the tracks back when, one I can't remember hearing lately. So I guess that gives one another reason to break out the old skool jams.

Welcome to hip hop