Bass Clarinet Jams: Spooky Loops

2»

Comments

• Here's a link to a very dope concert by Jasper Blom featuring 3 bass clarinets, bass, drums, sax and electronic effects. I Was present and freaked out.

Jasper Blom - North Sea Jazz composition assignment

• The first thing that comes to my mind whenever I think about Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew" is not Miles' funky, muted trumpet, the head-banging drums of DeJohnette, McLaughlin's meandering guitar or even the electric piano orgy, but the spooky, paranoid bass clarinet work by Bennie Maupin. Few instruments convey that back-alley, stoned-out-of-your-gourd vibe. "Bitches Brew" could even work as a Spooky Halloween record, especially the opening cut, "Pharoah's Dance"; little kids wouldn't know what to think of the music and if your crib was suitably dark, they'd probably be pretty damn scared.

I don't know of any other musicians or too many other records with any decent amount of bass clarinet action, aside from some of Maupin's other work, on a handful of Herbie Hancock and Miles records. What are some good records that use bass clarinets and/or have that same sort of paranoid, eerie feel?

RAY & HIS COURT'S "SOUL FREEDOM"....................

• Plus there's a record called "Formal and informal music" with electronics and jazz group featuring bass clarinet. It's from 1980 or so. Have to dig it up for specifics.