THE WORLD ACCORDING TO JOHN COLTRANE (Documentary)

macksteezmacksteez 68 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=26345

Who has seen this documentary.

It was really an eyeopener. My favorite things was

It's crazy to me that this type of music was just a wall of sound to me.

Does anyone know other documentaries I should check out or see.

I just want to discuss music documentaries period.
So bring in the knowledge!!

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    -Charles Mingus Beneath The Underdog
    -A Great Day In Harlem
    -Imagine the Sound
    -Mystery, Mr.Ra
    -On the Road with Duke Ellington

• the P-Funk documentary on PBS recently was good, although I want it on DVD with complete live performances! Those early Funkadelic TV appearances look

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

great film though totally depressing and the live sets were not long enough.

• @ Hammertime What was it about the P-funk documentary.

Was it more livesets and not alot of info or about the history and everything. I'd rather see the last one.

I've seen the BBC documentary about Soul music on their website. (forget the name....Soul..Something) haven't seen that If anyone did please tell me if it's worth the time.

• @ Hammertime What was it about the P-funk documentary.
    Was it more livesets and not alot of info or about the history and everything. I'd rather see the last one.

I've seen the BBC documentary about Soul music on their website. (forget the name....Soul..Something) haven't seen that If anyone did please tell me if it's worth the time.

It was a mixture of both...not very in depth as far as history goes, which wasn't surprising. But it had some great live footage that I wish was uncut.

• -Charles Mingus Beneath The Underdog

how was it depressing? i had no idea there was even a documentary on it. i read the book about a year ago and loved it.

does anyone know if there are any documentaries on albert ayler?

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Man I saw a nice documentary on Coletrane about 4 years ago but never caught the name of it.

• nickjnickj 53 Posts

how was it depressing? i had no idea there was even a documentary on it. i read the book about a year ago and loved it.

It's depressing in that the documentary is essentially about Mingus preparing to be evicted from his loft. If I remember right, it's mostly footage of him ranting and raving in this ridiculously overstuffed apartment, and then he finally gets his ass tossed on the street with all of his stuff. Intense stuff, a must-see if you're really into his music, but still totally depressing. I don't think it has anything to do with his autobiography, right?

It's depressing in that the documentary is essentially about Mingus preparing to be evicted from his loft. If I remember right, it's mostly footage of him ranting and raving in this ridiculously overstuffed apartment, and then he finally gets his ass tossed on the street with all of his stuff. Intense stuff, a must-see if you're really into his music, but still totally depressing. I don't think it has anything to do with his autobiography, right?

You are thinking of Mingus 1968

The doc 'Beneath The Underdog' is more of a typical historical/personal look at the man's life and music, with interviews with family and colleagues. I found it mostly informative, but the guy is such a complex character I can see how different folks would react to different facets of his life, and his life had plenty of twists and turns that could be described as tragic.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    does anyone know if there are any documentaries on albert ayler?

I'm going to the Copenhagen Documentary Film Festival for a Albert Ayler/Yusef Lateef double-whammy on friday:

'My Name Is Albert Ayler' by Kasper Collin (Sweden) 79 mins.
    'Brother Yusef' by Werner Penzel, Nicholas Humbert (Switzerland, France) 52 mins.

I don't know anything about them, but I'm looking forward to seeing them.

• does anyone know if there are any documentaries on albert ayler?

I'm going to the Copenhagen Documentary Film Festival for a Albert Ayler/Yusef Lateef double-whammy on friday:

'Brother Yusef' by Werner Penzel, Nicholas Humbert (Switzerland, France) 52 mins.

wow, among two of my favorite musicians ever. lucky you.

• does anyone know if there are any documentaries on albert ayler?

Very Nice Indeed.

Don't know much about Yusef Lateef background so that would be interesting to see if i had the chance.
    About Albert Ayler I know nothing but that will change soon. Thanks to you.

What did you think about the documentary "Rebel Music"?
    Did it give new insights to the life of Marley or was it

Discuss

Oh It would be nice if more people give some pointers on wich documentaries you should see.

Books and liner notes are nice but when you see people speaking about an artist that they know intimate. it gives you a better insight I think.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Macksteez, I did a DVD recommendation thread some months ago:

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=crates&Number=399426&Forum=All_Forums&Words=dvd%20recommendations&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=398758&Search=true#Post399426

There might be some ideas for you in the responses people came up with.

I just bought the 'Soul To Soul' DVD not so long ago, and it's really great. I've also been recommended the Serge Gainsbourg DVD several times now, so I think that's going to be my next purchase, because I want to see the whole 'Melody Nelson' video that Breakself posted a segment from in his 1000th post extravaganza.

• Macksteez, I did a DVD recommendation thread some months ago:

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=crates&Number=399426&Forum=All_Forums&Words=dvd%20recommendations&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=398758&Search=true#Post399426

There might be some ideas for you in the responses people came up with.

I just bought the 'Soul To Soul' DVD not so long ago, and it's really great. I've also been recommended the Serge Gainsbourg DVD several times now, so I think that's going to be my next purchase, because I want to see the whole 'Melody Nelson' video that Breakself posted a segment from in his 1000th post extravaganza.

thanks for the info.

Learning something new everyday on Soulstrut

-A Great Day In Harlem
    -Imagine the Sound
    -Mystery, Mr.Ra

That "Imagine a Sound" sounds familiar.Is this that free-jazz documentary with Archie Shepp,Cecil Taylor and the likes? I tried to order it and it was out of print.Anyone know where I can get this?

-A Great Day In Harlem
    -Imagine the Sound
    -Mystery, Mr.Ra

That "Imagine a Sound" sounds familiar.Is this that free-jazz documentary with Archie Shepp,Cecil Taylor and the likes? I tried to order it and it was out of print.Anyone know where I can get this?

I just saw one on Amazon used for like $25
    I rented this from my local spot

And yeah, that's the one. It's a great doc if you have any interest at all in free jazz.

You are thinking of Mingus 1968

The doc 'Beneath The Underdog' is more of a typical historical/personal look at the man's life and music, with interviews with family and colleagues. I found it mostly informative, but the guy is such a complex character I can see how different folks would react to different facets of his life, and his life had plenty of twists and turns that could be described as tragic.

Sorry, my mistake. it is Mingus 1968 that I've seen. Triumph of the Underdog is a much more recent film, no?

the book rocked as well

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

the book rocked as well

Written by the man himself, and essential reading for any jazz heads who haven't checked it yet.

This one is pretty good, too - and can be had CHEAP:

And anybody who wants a quick peek inside the mind of Mingus,
    check out his

"Open Letter to Miles Davis"

published in Down Beat magazine in 1955.

Shit is

fantastic - thanks very much for that.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

fantastic - thanks very much for that.

Remember me, Miles? I'm Charles. Yeah, Mingus! You read third trumpet on my California record dates 11 years ago on the recommendation of Lucky Thompson. So easy, young man. Easy on those stepping stones....

My pleasure.

• And anybody who wants a quick peek inside the mind of Mingus,
    check out his

"Open Letter to Miles Davis"

published in Down Beat magazine in 1955.

Shit is

damn...shit was