Korg Microkorg

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Shit is kinda serious. I know I'm late on this, but I just bought one from a dude at my work and I'm truly bugging out on how powerful this little machine is.

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    dude.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    it might be my favorite peice of equipment i have. Its tiny, has SERIOUS sound editing capabilities, and a VOCODER for christsakes. It almost feels like a geniune analog synth. It sits right on top of my rhodes.

Its seriously the best toy ever made. I bring it with me whenever i travel. Tiny, Powerful, Battery Operated = .

I only wish it had a built in sequencer.

Ex. A

I rest my case.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Yes. That shit looks (and plays) tough. I came very close to copping one back in August but I think I blew that cash on wax. Next time I make it to Guitar Center, I think I'll be adding that to the arsenal.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yeah the micro is dope... i've used it a few times and almost bought one.

personally i think the ms2000 rack is a better look for the price...

at the time i copped a roland sh32 which is like the micro with more knobs and no keyboard.. they were blowin em out at 200 a pop.

how much does it cost? i've heard about that, too.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

You outta be able to pick one up used for under 400 bucks.

Ive got the keyboard model, and I like it....but its a bit played out.

Nice bass though. Rockwilder uses like 4 or 5 of them midi'd up at once.

You outta be able to pick one up used for under 400 bucks.

Ive got the keyboard model, and I like it....but its a bit played out.

Nice bass though. Rockwilder uses like 4 or 5 of them midi'd up at once.

Thanks.
    I'm not trying to splurge my cash on all types of equipment. I'm mainly looking for something to thicken up my bass lines and some synth would be nice.

the ms2000 engine is the same as in the microkorg.. the 2000 just has a zillion more knobs.. and they're bascially the same price at this point, so i'd go with the one with more knobs.

that said i don't know how anybody can say a good analog synth is "played out" maybe if you only stick with the presets...

the ms2000 engine is the same as in the microkorg.. the 2000 just has a zillion more knobs.. and they're bascially the same price at this point, so i'd go with the one with more knobs.

that said i don't know how anybody can say a good analog synth is "played out" maybe if you only stick with the presets...

I didn't know it was analog. Yeah analog is where it's at. The new digital synths are too flat sounding to me. I know this dude who just bought a Korg Trinity and he played some beats for me. The synths on that Trinity fucked up the whole song. Synths must be thick.

no its not true analog

its a digital analog synth emulator

but best believe it sounds tight.

and that said im also sure you can get some dope sounds out of ANY synth.

be it analog, digital whatever.

i think its important for you're arsenal to have a smattering of all flavas.

in an ideal world i'd add a DX/FM and a Triton style digital to my collection.

duly noted, Dubious.

• best thing about it is the fact that you can delete all the rave banks and program your own patches. Using it mainly as a pre-programmed processor (for making heavy sample-and-hold/microsampling echo type stuff) you can really do a lot of shit with it. I think that maybe the Alesis is actually a little more powerful, but the soundengine in the korg is pretty damn good.

MS20 for life tho.

• Shit is kinda serious. I know I'm late on this, but I just bought one from a dude at my work and I'm truly bugging out on how powerful this little machine is.

i bought one two weeks ago, shit is really amazing and versatile.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    If you can cop it for $200, move on it. I got it in a bundle of equipment, ended up paying $100 for it. Best $100 I evar spent.

-M

If you can cop it for $200, move on it. I got it in a bundle of equipment, ended up paying $100 for it. Best $100 I evar spent.

• Shit is kinda serious. I know I'm late on this, but I just bought one from a dude at my work and I'm truly bugging out on how powerful this little machine is.

damn man, we're on the same wave-lenght I was about to post about this. I think imma cop one as well.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I think that maybe the Alesis is actually a little more powerful, but the soundengine in the korg is pretty damn good.
    comparison between the two:

microKorg:
    4 voices polyphony
    2 oscillators + Noise Generator
    2 envelope generators
    2 LFOs
    1 multimode filter
    Effects: Modulation effects (3 types), Delay (3 types), Equalizer
    Vocoder= 8 bands
    Arpegiator
    128 programs
    37 mini keys
    + Battery operated (6xAA)

Micron:
    8 voices polyphony
    3 oscillators + Noise gen.
    3 envelope generators,
    2 LFOs
    2 multimode filters (20 types!)
    Effects: Reverb, Delay, Chorus, Phaser...
    Vocoder= 40 bands
    Arpegiator
    500 presets / 400 user / 250 patterns / 200 drum rythms
    37 full-keys
    + Sequencer (step/rhythm)
    + 24-bit balanced I/O
    + compatible with Ion patches

seems like the micron has a lot more shit for the same price. anyone who use both wanna comment on the sound?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Shit is kinda serious. I know I'm late on this, but I just bought one from a dude at my work and I'm truly bugging out on how powerful this little machine is.

all my bass sounds come from this thing... it's wicked... i wish some of the presets were Triton style instrument sounds (ie. STRINGS) instead of gooney trance sounds tho...

• awallawall 673 Posts
    this has been on my "music shit to purchase" list for a year now. i will probably get one soon. i'm assuming ebay has the best price?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    this has been on my "music shit to purchase" list for a year now. i will probably get one soon. i'm assuming ebay has the best price?
    i dont see any cheaper than 400 that aren't used. you could probably fuck with some of those gear sites that pricematch and see what you can get out of that. i might pick up one locally for 400 today since im bored at work

• chasechase 767 Posts
    on the korg, if you set up the arpeggiator right you can use it to run your samples through on the vocoder... shit is even if just for the anolog filters

• MS20 for life tho.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    damn you people i was trying to save money
    i was super bored at work yesterday so after my shift i decided to go to the music store. it was either between the sp-404 or the microkorg and the microkorg won. like day and everyone else in this thread mentioned, shit is really powerful for being such a small thing. i brought that shit to work today with some headphones and been trying shit out.

it was either between the sp-404 or the microkorg and the microkorg won.

smart choice. you get a lot more mileage out of the korg, IMO.

i brought that shit to work today with some headphones and been trying shit out.

Can I work where you work?

• I think that maybe the Alesis is actually a little more powerful, but the soundengine in the korg is pretty damn good.
    comparison between the two:

microKorg:
    4 voices polyphony
    2 oscillators + Noise Generator
    2 envelope generators
    2 LFOs
    1 multimode filter
    Effects: Modulation effects (3 types), Delay (3 types), Equalizer
    Vocoder= 8 bands
    Arpegiator
    128 programs
    37 mini keys
    + Battery operated (6xAA)

Micron:
    8 voices polyphony
    3 oscillators + Noise gen.
    3 envelope generators,
    2 LFOs
    2 multimode filters (20 types!)
    Effects: Reverb, Delay, Chorus, Phaser...
    Vocoder= 40 bands
    Arpegiator
    500 presets / 400 user / 250 patterns / 200 drum rythms
    37 full-keys
    + Sequencer (step/rhythm)
    + 24-bit balanced I/O
    + compatible with Ion patches

seems like the micron has a lot more shit for the same price. anyone who use both wanna comment on the sound?

i was debating buying either the alesis or the mircokorg. in the end i opted for the alesis for the fact it just has more for the $$$. with all those drum sounds, greater polyphony, more filters, this shit is . the only draw back is that lack of knobs and shit, but each parameter can be assigned to any of the 3 knobs for fast tweeking. once i'm done, i just assign other parameters and keep moving ahead. shit is a beast!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    on the korg, if you set up the arpeggiator right you can use it to run your samples through on the vocoder... shit is even if just for the anolog filters

wow, how the fuck do you do that?

• on the korg, if you set up the arpeggiator right you can use it to run your samples through on the vocoder... shit is even if just for the anolog filters

wow, how the fuck do you do that?

no analog filters on microkorg dudeman.

and i think there's a 1/4" input for vocoder, am i right?

• chasechase 767 Posts
    you can use the filters on the vocorder to run your samples through... analog modeled + filters= analog filters? sounds dope either way...