any records there? peace, stein. . .

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

San Juan, PR?

• San Juan, PR?

affirmative.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    dunno about the records but Hunter S. Thomson's 'The Rum Diaries' is set in San Juan .. its a good read

• any records there? peace, stein. . .

If there are records there i damn sure didnt find any. Was there last year. I hit thrifts, record spots, came up with nothing.

So, we always joke with the "there is no records in ________" but IMO there is NO records in San Juan.

~Crates

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I would think that there would be LOTS of Fania records

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    ask your boy Garcia Vega.

• any records there? peace, stein. . .

I grew up in San Juan. PR is just an ok place for records, honestly. You can go to the hardware store at the "Plaza del Mercado" in Santurce, the dude there has tons of records in some room upstairs. I don't really like sending people there because the dude has always been a dick to me, but he does have a shit load of records, mainly latin salsa, trios, and vocalists but some other stuff too. He also doesn't always let people up there, but if he thinks you mean business he'll let you in. I pulled a minty promo copy of Headless Heroes there a few years ago, and I've heard of other great stuff coming from there, so it might be worth your while. If anythiing, its worth it just to go to the plaza, have lunch at LA Tasca del Pescador if you like seafood, it is the bomb spot. There is a jazz bar next to La Tasca, whose owner is supposed to have a sick record collection, although I've never seen it, sometimes he sells things from his stash. Also, very important, get a fruit shake in the actual plaza, make sure to say "con todo."
    There is downtown records in Old San Juan, on the corner of Calle San Fransisco (I think that's the street). Tell your cab driver the street where Hooters use to be, and its the next corner after Hooters. The downstairs is picked over, but if dude (I forget his name) lets you upstairs you should find a few things. Sometimes there are records at the flea market in Stella Maris church on Magdalena Ave, but its only once a month, and I forget which Sunday, its hit or miss.
    Be warned, condition will be a big factor in PR, unless you are getting records from private collections, most of the stuff you will find will be beat, severly.
    Check out Thursday nights at Kali in Condado, holler at DJ Godfader, he might be able to give you a few tips. Really PR is just about max and relax, eat, drink, and beach bum.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

I grew up in San Juan. PR is just an ok place for records, honestly. You can go to the hardware store at the "Plaza del Mercado" in Santurce, the dude there has tons of records in some room upstairs. I don't really like sending people there because the dude has always been a dick to me, but he does have a shit load of records, mainly latin salsa, trios, and vocalists but some other stuff too. He also doesn't always let people up there, but if he thinks you mean business he'll let you in. I pulled a minty promo copy of Headless Heroes there a few years ago, and I've heard of other great stuff coming from there, so it might be worth your while. If anythiing, its worth it just to go to the plaza, have lunch at LA Tasca del Pescador if you like seafood, it is the bomb spot. There is a jazz bar next to La Tasca, whose owner is supposed to have a sick record collection, although I've never seen it, sometimes he sells things from his stash. Also, very important, get a fruit shake in the actual plaza, make sure to say "con todo."
    There is downtown records in Old San Juan, on the corner of Calle San Fransisco (I think that's the street). Tell your cab driver the street where Hooters use to be, and its the next corner after Hooters. The downstairs is picked over, but if dude (I forget his name) lets you upstairs you should find a few things. Sometimes there are records at the flea market in Stella Maris church on Magdalena Ave, but its only once a month, and I forget which Sunday, its hit or miss.
    Be warned, condition will be a big factor in PR, unless you are getting records from private collections, most of the stuff you will find will be beat, severly.
    Check out Thursday nights at Kali in Condado, holler at DJ Godfader, he might be able to give you a few tips. Really PR is just about max and relax, eat, drink, and beach bum.

told ya