deep thoughts about bootlegs

2»

Comments

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    There's an interesting cheap vinyl market that not many people pay attention to.

Example:

The four majors all have divisions called Special Markets. Special Markets are full service operations that license and press records. So let's say that your life long dream is to repress the Lily and Maria record. Sony Special Markets (who owns Columbia) is not going to license this record to you. They're going to press it. Obviously they want to know how many are being made, and this is the only way they can regulate. SSM will charge you the full master and mechanical royalty, plus the cost of the vinyl, the jackets, the shipping, etc, all UP FRONT. So your once great idea costs you something like $4-5 per unit.

Maybe originally you wanted to do a nice jacket with you logo on it. Well Sony still has the film for most of their catalog, and they'll let you use it, which will shave off hundreds of dollars in film, digital prepress, etc. So you've made the record, but it has the shitty Columbia logo on it. You think you can sell them, so you go ahead.

A lot of these exist. There are companies that just do this. They look like bootlegs, but really, they're just cheaply made.

• marketed towards people who buy their turntable at Restoration Hardware

LOCATION! [/b]

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    There was a guy convicted recently in the UK for bootlegging. He'd been doing it for 25 years at concerts all over the world and basically his MO was to pay the sound guys a whack of cash to run another line out of the desk. They reckoned he'd put out around 2000 live boots in his time. Oh, he got 2 and half years jail time. Out in 14 months.

The there's people like the guy who ran Red Dog records and reissued all the Charly stuff in territories where the rights were not totally clear like the UK, then released them all in the US again as 'imports'. No copyright just a brass neck.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Fuck that. I'll take a reissue until I find an OG.
    And I'll even take something like Mulatu and treat it like an OG cause I don't have $800 to drop on a rackord.
    I have no shame.

The same folks crackin' on reissues will gladly buy the reissue if they find out that they can't get the OG AND they find out the reissue/boot is also no longer available. I swear some of you guys just love the idea of things you don't have.
    I guess that's human nature.

I just wish so many of the new reissues didn't have pressing flaws or just plain low quality. When I see reissues of good shit at my favorite second-hand LP shop for a fraction of what they go for new, man I scoop them up. I don't mind paying $3-$6 for the vinyl format, but can they figure out a way to get them into stores so they are not warped on arrival?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Heres another noob question for you all. Bootleg LPs, as in the infamous $8.99 pieces that we all say we're against, but will purchase in a second if our back is up against the wall:

If these are legitimately illegitimate, how come places like Dustygroove can sell them without hesitation. Buying from DG ain't exactly like meeting some hood in an alley and shopping outta the trunk of his car. And also, where do these come from? Are they all courtesy of some guy in Jersey with a magical record-pressing machine in his garage? Thanks in advance.

Does anybody know if Scorpio presses these things from the masters?

I won't buy a reissue unless its superior to the OG pressing - pressed on quality vinyl, mastered from the original tapes, has alternate cuts, etc, etc. I'd sooner download it & save my money for the og pressing. Everything comes around in time.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    for some unknown reason I won't sample from anything other than an OG (99.9% of the time) yet I use Serato. Call me kooky.
    same here. kooky cohort.

• okay i'll be a jerk and mention that what almost everyone is talking about on this thread is "pirated" records, not "bootlegs".

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    A lot of people use the term bootleg both for unsanctioned releases or just knock off copies.

• On a related note, if any one has any Jefferson Airplane or Neil Young (other than "Young Man's Fancy") bootlegs on LP, trades await. I want those white label mystery items with the xeroxed covers or the classic "Seal of Quality" boots with the pig chef on the cover.

• Hey just so you guys know I have a turntable from Restoration Hardware

• Hey just so you guys know I have a turntable from Restoration Hardware

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

On a related note, if any one has any Jefferson Airplane or Neil Young (other than "Young Man's Fancy") bootlegs on LP, trades await. I want those white label mystery items with the xeroxed covers or the classic "Seal of Quality" boots with the pig chef on the cover.

Shit, I had several a while back but unloaded them. Damn.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Hey just so you guys know I have a turntable from Restoration Hardware

Ha - so do I, and I'm the guy who said it in the first place. My Dad gave me one for my birthday a couple of years ago. It's cool, it's the "kitchen system" that I listen to while cooking dinner or whatever. That's probably why I cracked on 'em, though, cause I know what a cheap POS they are. Mine actually pulled some bullshit move where it dragged back across the LP when it reached the end a couple of times. Worst. Sound. Ever.

After that, only VG- records get played on that bizatch.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    There's an interesting cheap vinyl market that not many people pay attention to.

Example:

The four majors all have divisions called Special Markets. Special Markets are full service operations that license and press records. So let's say that your life long dream is to repress the Lily and Maria record. Sony Special Markets (who owns Columbia) is not going to license this record to you. They're going to press it. Obviously they want to know how many are being made, and this is the only way they can regulate. SSM will charge you the full master and mechanical royalty, plus the cost of the vinyl, the jackets, the shipping, etc, all UP FRONT. So your once great idea costs you something like $4-5 per unit.

Maybe originally you wanted to do a nice jacket with you logo on it. Well Sony still has the film for most of their catalog, and they'll let you use it, which will shave off hundreds of dollars in film, digital prepress, etc. So you've made the record, but it has the shitty Columbia logo on it. You think you can sell them, so you go ahead.

A lot of these exist. There are companies that just do this. They look like bootlegs, but really, they're just cheaply made.

WOW

So is this it?? Is there where all those $8.99 Scorpio reishes come from???

• I remember being at a record show.....

where the cops didn't bust in, and this guy sold all these reish lps for $3 and $4 a piece. people were going crazy, almost killing each other. i was lucky to get out with a diamond d, latin love in, and some other stuff i have no chance of touching on my budget....but i digress..how does a nj based distribution company get away with it?