ESHAM???

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I never hear anyone talk about ESHAM on this site.His stuff didnt get much play in NYC,but he had mad advertisements in the SOURCEway back when. Just wondering if any cats from that region could critiquehis catalog.I got to him through his work w/ Kool Keith's SPANKMASTER LP. The only CD I copped was For obvious reasons.

Comments

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    Oh man. I was going to do a post on my blog about esham.

Being someone who dealt with him and his company a lot back in the day i can say this. He is a cool cat on a personal level. Secondly he had that horrorcore shit on lock way before gravediggaz/flatlinerz etc...

Boomin words from hell is teh LP to get. Classic right there.

He had a slew of eps and out. Then some lps.. that branced into NATAS, which NATAS-"Life after death" is an amazing essential lp for that genre....

I could go on and on... fuck it, i think I will do a post on my blog about it, complete with tracks. .

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Wasn't a big Esham fan, or Natas, but they always were releasing LPs... They had a pretty decent presence in Ohio/Michigan. I had a few Esham releases, but the only one I thought was decent was ... Fetus something (still recoevering from the weekend)... and that album had The Track "Sunshine" which sampled Roy Ayres. The lyrics were listenable on that album, but that was about it for me.

I had a few Esham releases, but the only one I thought was decent was ... Fetus something (still recoevering from the weekend)... and that album had The Track "Sunshine" which sampled Roy Ayres. The lyrics were listenable on that album, but that was about it for me.

KKKill the Fetus.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i made a nice grip of money selling a rare esham 12" on ebay a year ago... it was a cool record, but not something i'd play everyday... the samples were off the hook tho, i swear it sounds like he sampled something off Trout Mask Replica for one track...

that is the thing, though. For horrocore they got some deep samples...

I had a few Esham releases, but the only one I thought was decent was ... Fetus something (still recoevering from the weekend)... and that album had The Track "Sunshine" which sampled Roy Ayres. The lyrics were listenable on that album, but that was about it for me.

KKKill the Fetus.

yeh that's it... He as in "The Crow" too right?

I always liked the concpet of horrorcore, it was amusing. I couldn't listen to alot of it though as it all started to run together.

I always liked the concpet of horrorcore, it was amusing. I couldn't listen to alot of it though as it all started to run together.

oh for sure. Horrorcore dudes (especially in detroit) put out WAAAAAYYYY too much shit.

Yeh but they killed it like that... capitalized while the could...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I loved the Horrorcore sub-genre in hiphop.
    Flatliners,Children of the Corn,................name some more.
    Big L came at the tail end along w/ Necro.

as wack as they are... ICP

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    troubleneck brothers

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    brotha lynch... that shit gave me nightmares.

There are some select tracks by ICP that i like.

I dont look at that shit as rap though. Its more like horror movie stories.

I like tracks off of "ringmaster" "Beverly kills 50187" and I think that is about it.

I like tracks off of "ringmaster" "Beverly kills 50187" and I think that is about it.

yeh I remember Beverly Kills... I guess that was before they were wack... wait. err. I mean they had a few tracks that had potential, but their whole presence was more annoying than anything. Chicken hunting? wasn't that one of their tracks? A friend of mine would play that shit nonstop.

Also a kid I went to college with was the biggest Horrorcore fan ever. He had everything related to the subgenre... every CD, tape, mixtape, poster, went to everys how. the funny thing is he was the most mellow low key person you ever met.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

pussay boi

yeh I remember Beverly Kills... I guess that was before they were wack... wait. err. I mean they had a few tracks that had potential, but their whole presence was more annoying than anything. Chicken hunting? wasn't that one of their tracks? A friend of mine would play that shit nonstop.

Also a kid I went to college with was the biggest Horrorcore fan ever. He had everything related to the subgenre... every CD, tape, mixtape, poster, went to everys how. the funny thing is he was the most mellow low key person you ever met.

haha yeah man. Mellow dudes love that shit....hhhmm..

Dude Im not saying that ICP isnt whack. Cause they are. And i would say about 99% of their output is straight garbage. But they had sleeper tracks that unfolded like crazy movies. "Amys in the Attic" is one of them, then there was that "Joke your mind" track that dealt with class issues. But of course, these are the ones that dont catch on and so we had to hear "Chicken hunting" full blast on the southside of flint out of damn near every 5th car that drove by.

Off the top of my head I would say these songs are worth it:

The Stalker
    Murder Go round
    Mr Johnsons Head
    Get off me Dawg
    Southwest Song
    Psychopathic
    Amys in the Attic
    In the Haughhh
    Kiss the Clown
    The Smog
    Joke ya Mind

And that is pretty much it.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

about to throw "season of the siccness" on ebay, too... good record, not great, like G-funk thrown thru a texas chainsaw massacre...

here is a track I play every halloween.......its just good fun. dont put to much stock in it musically or even crituque it on that level.

This was originally given out on cassette only at one of their Hallowicked Shows in Royal oak.

ICP-Dead Pumpkins

• eetzeetz 53 Posts

about to throw "season of the siccness" on ebay, too... good record, not great, like G-funk thrown thru a texas chainsaw massacre...

The track "loc 2 da brain" off of this album is the hardest song of this genre (gangsta rap) that I've heard. I don't plan on visiting the "garden block."