PayPal question

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
A fellow has issued a dispute with PayPal because he hasn't received his records yet (it's been 3 weeks and I sent them via Air Mail.) If by chance he doesn't receive his records and PayPal rules in his favor can they deduct money from me if there is no money in my PayPal account?

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I'd assume, at least from buying, that if there was no money in your PayPal account, it would default to whatever credit/debit card you have on file.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    No, they can't. but, if you ever get money in yer account after that they will take it. you'd have to close yer account & open a new one I think.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    No, they can't. but, if you ever get money in yer account after that they will take it. you'd have to close yer account & open a new one I think.

Lame. There has to be a better solution. It just seems way to easy for someone to file a dispute when the post office fucks up the situation.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    It just seems way too easy for a buyer to commit fraud.

I thought I remembered Kev from Canada saying that you can get around this... by sending a registered letter and using that trackin info.

• Options
    Yes they can - you go into the negative and any further payments go toward paying off that balance.

Kevin.

• Options

I thought I remembered Kev from Canada saying that you can get around this... by sending a registered letter and using that trackin info.

Yep. They don't know what the package is, be it a letter from Raj and the family or a packet of rares - all they want is the confirmation number...and you can provide that.

Half the time, i don't even put anything in the letter.

Easy, K.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Also, dont they link to an active credit card or bank account? Did the guy at least warn you and try to work it out before calling paypal?

Also, dont they link to an active credit card or bank account? Did the guy at least warn you and try to work it out before calling paypal?

No. It's been 2 1/2 weeks too since I sent it to Germany. I have always had trouble with Germany too. Their customs is on some delayed shit.

thats not that long that he should have stopped payment. It takes a month or even a month and half for me to get records from Brazil, and in France and Italy at least 2 weeks. I never understood why people get so impatient over this shit, you live without something for 40 years and all of a sudden you have to have it in 2 weeks or else.

• Options
    That's crazy. He's got 45 days within which he file the complaint.

K.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

No. It's been 2 1/2 weeks too since I sent it to Germany. I have always had trouble with Germany too. Their customs is on some delayed shit.

I've noticed delays on stuff going to Germany too.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    yes, they can deduct from your paypal account via your bank account. It has happened to me. FUCK PAYPAL. such a shady way to do business, but unfortunately the best way to make things happen.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Didn't longtallsimon also have a problem with Paypal - exact same scenario, and he had his account temporarily frozen, so he couldn't receive payments either?

yes, they can deduct from your paypal account via your bank account. It has happened to me. FUCK PAYPAL. such a shady way to do business, but unfortunately the best way to make things happen.

So they can actually take money from yer bank if you have an account linked?

that was always my unserstanding. I never have money in the paypal account, it just draws from my bank each time i use it.

I once tried to charge-back a charge-back & all they said that they could do was freeze dudes account cause he had no money in it. Maybe he didn't have a bank account linked up?

but you need to link to a bank account to open the account, or at least i did. And then if you want, you can link to a credit card as the primary source over the bank account, maybe he just kept little or no money in the account to keep it active. Seems like a long was to go to steal some records though.

but you need to link to a bank account to open the account

yeah, that's what I thought too.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I think dudes engaging in fraud make sure this account is empty though, and it was probably a dummy acct to begin with

I think dudes engaging in fraud make sure this account is empty though, and it was probably a dummy acct to begin with

ahhhh....

This dude charged back a $5.99 record + 12 bucks shipping. He'd just gotten kicked off ebay too.

how much money can really be made in a bold faced fraud like that selling records? It just seems like such small-time its not worth the effort. A couple thousand, tops?

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I consider myself lucky that this has never happened to me. I really should send everything with confirmation numbers and whatnot. Sending mail registered overseas is a pain in the ass, but I guess it's better than getting screwed over. I sell football tickets on ebay and I'm always worried someone's gonna pull some shady shit on me like this.

It seems like Paypal and ebay do everything they can to screw over sellers...it sucks.

oh also I just remembered I think if the value of the item is over $25 you NEED a signature for it, regular delivery confirmation won't work. Which is dumb because a lot of people work and don't want to be required to be home when it comes.

I consider myself lucky that this has never happened to me. I really should send everything with confirmation numbers and whatnot. Sending mail registered overseas is a pain in the ass, but I guess it's better than getting screwed over.

That's the catch. A tracking # for an airmail package will DOUBLE the price of shipping. No one is going to pay $25 shipping & most of yer business selling records is from overseas (marcofunk) customers.

It is

I've looked into K's dummy letter method, and it would work fine for maybe 100 bucks or more, but to send an areogram with a tracking # to europe, or Japan is like $20 - so if someone is only screwing you for 20-50 bucks it's almost not worth it.

i pay $15 - $20 shipping on everything and usually it makes me just buy more stuff to save on shipping.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    A fellow has issued a dispute with PayPal because he hasn't received his records yet (it's been 3 weeks and I sent them via Air Mail.) If by chance he doesn't receive his records and PayPal rules in his favor can they deduct money from me if there is no money in my PayPal account?

They won't charge your account without your authorization but will send you to a collection agency if you don't pay for it.

• Options
    registered letter is $10 Canadian here...and how is somone screwing you for $50 not worth $20?

K.

registered letter is $10 Canadian here...and how is somone screwing you for $50 not worth $20?

K.

damn - when I went to send one it was like $17.00 - In the US you can only get a tracking # on an interenational letter if you opt for the fastest most expensive method of shipping. I ended up not having to do it. But, yeah, I'd say 50 bucks justifies it.