Don't Look Now... (Playoff Edition)

Comments

• GO ZARDS
    GO ZARDS
    GO ZARDS

• HankScorpioHankScorpio 163 Posts
    the ray allen situation? i cant call that. he must have seen that the ship was going down. plus i think they wanted to make Redd the man so Allen bounced.

Just to clarify...Ray Allen being traded was a move dictated by George Karl. He and Ray did not get along in Milwaukee that last year. Ray was traded to Seattle foy Payton and Desmond Mason. Payton played half a season for the Bucks, was a free agent, then took off for L.A.

The George Karl era in Milwaukee, even though it didn't end great, was the best Bucks basketball since the Don Nelson days. They came within a missed jumpshot of the NBA Finals - all on offense, with a mimimum defensive effort. George Karl came and spoke to a journalism class I was in, and he held nothing back. I asked a few questions about how journalists writing trade rumors at trading deadline time affected the locker room mood - and he gave a great answer. (It was trading deadline at the time, Tim Thomas had his name in the papers...) I really hope to see George Karl and the Nuggest succeed next year.

As far as the Buck off season goes, I'm glad to see they plan on keeping Porter. He had one good year getting the team to the playoffs, and now one bad year. This year the team was always injured, and had a big trade in February, plus TJ Ford didn't suit up once. (I was at the Minnesota game where Ford was injured.)
    I think the Bucks should see how Porter does next year, if they start the season and are 10 games under .500 in December, yeah, maybe then there would need to be a coaching change - but I'd like to think Porter was doing something right 2 years ago.

I don't think the Bucks should max out Michael Redd. If some other team in the league is foolish enough to do so, I hope the Bucks let him go and don't match. I am big fan of Michael Redd - but in my mind there are only a handful of players in the league worthy of a max contract. Tim Duncan, Shaq, Allen Iverson, T-Mac, and Kobe come to mind. (In a few years LeBron James and Dwyane Wade may be added to the list.)

But that's a lot to say about a team not in the playoffs. Tomorrow should be fun to watch. I'm rooting for the Celtics and the Rockets. The playoffs have been good so far - although the East is all about Detroit and Miami.

• faded_gloryfaded_glory 421 Posts
    Iguodala has impressed me

I don't have cable. Does he bring anything besides spectacular dunks?

i thought you were the one to consult regarding all basketball matters

• asian people don't need cable to know everything

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Any of you Reggie Miller haters can drown in haterade cuz my man is going to the hall. Nobody on the Celtics is goin and only Larry Brown and Joe Dumars is going from Detroit.

My Pacers in the playoffs iz just gravy.If they get past Boston it dont mean shit.
    They cant beat Detriot without Artest and a healthy O'neal/Tinsley.
    We can talk hoops y'all want!!!
    The fact that the Pacers even got this far shows how weak the East is.
    Oh yeah--Miami has proven shit.Dont be Bamboozled!The road passses through Detriot.Fuck the Atlantic division.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    asian people don't need cable to know everything

you're a sad person.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Any of you Reggie Miller haters can drown in haterade cuz my man is going to the hall. Nobody on the Celtics is goin and only Larry Brown and Joe Dumars is going from Detroit.

fix your avatar, son.

the fact that someone from the South Bronx is a Pacers fan is a pretty sad statement...whether it is a sadder statement about you or the Knicks is debatable.

Yes, Reggie goes to the Hall. He has made some insane clutch postseason plays in his career. I rooted for Indiana against LA a couple of years back in the Finals.

None of this negates the fact that he is one of the biggest bitches in the history of professional sports.

All the hall of famers are bitches. Jordan,magic ,bird.whoomever.They all cry and moan when shit does go their way.
    As for being from the bronx- check it- All my boys know Ive repped the Pacers since Chuck Person. Cats dont fuck with me cause they know new york goes to orange alert when Reggie in town.
    There is kow rule that says your supposed to like your home team.
    The Pacers that went to the finals against LA had like 4 new yorkers on that team.
    So the home town rule is str8 doo doo

All the hall of famers are bitches. Jordan,magic ,bird.whoomever.They all cry and moan when shit does(sic) go their way.

co-sign

As for being from the bronx- check it- All my boys know Ive repped the Pacers since Chuck Person. Cats dont fuck with me cause they know new york goes to orange alert when Reggie in town.
    There is kow rule that says your supposed to like your home team.
    The Pacers that went to the finals against LA had like 4 new yorkers on that team.
    So the home town rule is str8 doo doo

fair enough, I agree the hometown rule is not law.

Nice quick fix on the avatar, too.

Pacers are toast tonight, and it will be sweet to know it was the Celtics who put him out of the NBA once and for all.

Are you a celtics fan?
    Good book by the way.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I asked a few questions about how journalists writing trade rumors at trading deadline time affected the locker room mood - and he gave a great answer. (It was trading deadline at the time, Tim Thomas had his name in the papers...)

What did he say about this? That's an interesting question, and I'm curious how Karl responded.

well, I talked some shit the last couple of days, but the Pacers were more focused and better prepared, and deserved to win this series. Hard game for a Celtics fan to watch tonight.

Sucks for me, but I gotta say I'm looking forward to the Pacers vs Pistons series more than any non-home-team matchup in a minute, it should be bonkers.

• HankScorpioHankScorpio 163 Posts
    What did he say about this? That's an interesting question, and I'm curious how Karl responded.

Hi DJ Enki,

It's been a few years since I asked the question - so I don't remember his response verbatim. But he said that guys who saw their names in the paper tended to be a bit more nervous, and many times for no reason as the club had no idea where the rumors were coming from. He said that what journalists publish should have no bearing on a team's play, but that the comments were difficult to ignore. Come trade deadline time there is so much BS floating around everyone just breathes a sigh of relief when it's over.

What I remember most about the speech is Karl explaining how many players had become big whiners. Ray Allen had a quote in the paper about a comment Karl made that forced Ray's Mom to call, she was so upset. I do remember what George said about that:

"My Mom called me? What is that shit? I mean c'mon!!!!!!"

That reply had the whole class cracking up. This was around the time that Karl would put any player on blast in the paper, on TV... He really thought that his team needed to develop tougher skin. (And the Bucks at the time did.)

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    asian people don't need cable to know everything

keep the hate alive, RD

that said, Steve Nash vs. Dirk Nowitzki

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Steve Nash versus Kelly Leak:

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

=

I was rooting for the Rockets but damn, the Mavs straight EMBARASSED Houston tonight. Shit was...

well, I talked some shit the last couple of days, but the Pacers were more focused and better prepared, and deserved to win this series.
    Celtics fan

Sucks for me

REGGIE,REGGIE,REGGIE!

...but the C's are off and running, stomping on Indy like tha cock-a-roaches they are! Ok, ok, one game is too early to run my mouth, by I am getting amped for these playoffs now, man!!

Yo, if Kelly Clarkson's down, you KNOW the boys are going to the Finals! Hop on the bandwagon now, while there's still room!

"I...I...BURY those cock-a-roaches!"

You probably own her CD.

jeez, c'mon Batmon, there's at least 3 more posts of mine in this thread you can quote to try to humiliate me...musta burned you up when I was willing to admit the C's got outplayed, huh?

Something to remember me by:

Oh yeah, how many Championships have the Pacers won again?

Well, at least you made it to the Finals...once.

Good luck against the Pistons, you'll need it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    jeez, c'mon Batmon, there's at least 3 more posts of mine in this thread you can quote to try to humiliate me...musta burned you up when I was willing to admit the C's got outplayed, huh?

Believe me, I have no love for the Pacers but I find it laughable that someone would try to be on some, "look at how many championships the Celtics won, hah!"

That shit works if you're the Yankees and you can actually point out that you've been to the World Series in the last five years but considering that the Celtics haven't seen a Finals since THE REAGAN ADMINISTRATION, I'm not sure you should be crowing so loudly.

Believe me, I have no love for the Pacers but I find it laughable that someone would try to be on some, "look at how many championships the Celtics won, hah!"

That shit works if you're the Yankees and you can actually point out that you've been to the World Series in the last five years but considering that the Celtics haven't seen a Finals since THE REAGAN ADMINISTRATION, I'm not sure you should be crowing so loudly.

I think our definitions of "loudly crowing" must be radically different, cause I don't think responding to a dude baiting the shit out of me with two hectoring posts and a PM, after I fully conceded in the open forum, immediately after the game, that the Pacers were the better team in the series and deserved to win, by pointing out that his team has never won a championship, compared to the Celtics sixteen, is really all that "laughable."

But, hey, whatever, like I said above, I talked some shit, so I deserve to take some. And, no, I don't think it would be any more legit for a Yankees fan to do than it is for me, by that standard, but if you do, then to each his own and all that ish.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Plaease to update the website. Some folks still haven't got the memo yet.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    no love for the pacers? seriously, fuck that. it is nothing short of amazing that they even made it to the playoffs. 6 eligible players for part of the season: how can you not get on board to support that turn around?

miller is and has been the real deal. get over yourselves.

That Detroit shit is mayo and celery shit. pacers in 6 games.

The Truth

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

who the fuck is kelly leak?

no love for the pacers? seriously, fuck that. it is nothing short of amazing that they even made it to the playoffs. 6 eligible players for part of the season: how can you not get on board to support that turn around?

miller is and has been the real deal. get over yourselves.

That Detroit shit is mayo and celery shit. pacers in 6 games.

The Truth

Cute...

FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1115604461drewn">

Who will win the Pistons v. Pacers series?[/b]

Pistons

Pacers

INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

who the fuck is kelly leak?

You know...Moocher:

It's all good.My Pacers will need luck against Detroit.
    AS I said in before,the road runs through Detroit.
    I'm realistic and I dont talk shit.This years Pistons are better
    than last years'.I want them to put all the new/fake Miami fans to shame.

• DETROIT in 6 games.