Options

Mos important jazz samples in hip hop

edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I have a freind writing a paper witht his topic being a part of it. What would you say is the most important jazz samples in hip hop? what has had the most resonance?I told her to check this board for the nerdy noodlings.Easy, K in Canada.

Comments

• Options
    Let me do it first

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I have a freind writing a paper witht his topic being a part of it. What would you say is the most important jazz samples in hip hop? what has had the most resonance?

I told her to check this board for the nerdy noodlings.

Easy, K in Canada.

First you list all the classics then list the samples.

PS Digable Planets(who i dont like) Cool like That should be included.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Red Clay on Tribes "Sucka Nigga" ?
    Tom Scott on TROY?
    Bob James - Nautilus?
    CTI records in general?

Bob James - Nautilus?

• Options
    [quote
    Bob James - Nautilus?
    CTI records in general?
    Def part of the audio vernacular.

Kevin.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Dee Felice Trio - There Was A Time is def. important

GOD MADE ME FUNKY

and

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    amhad jamal trio-the awakening lp on impulse

this might be the most consistantly sampled for heat jazz lp ever!

• Heath Brothers?

• brodambrodam 46 Posts
    my personal favorite -
    charlie parker "night in tunisia" for gangstarr's "words i manifest"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

• Ronnie Laws - "Pressure Sensitive"

• This record scared and intrigued me as a young child. It was in my moms stacks and I used to stare at it for hours. I thought that was some kind of music god or something.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

This record scared and intrigued me as a young child. It was in my moms stacks and I used to stare at it for hours. I thought that was some kind of music god or something.

When I first started making music, I had made Crut out to be four non-existent cartoon characters. One of them was a guy who had a head just like this. Not sure if anyone back then got the reference.

• Is Headhunters really considered jazz? I always considered it funk.

what does "most important" mean? Most popular? Most sampled? Most influential? Define...

...George Benson is the father of many samples - Common "________" (guess)

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

• Plenty dudes used these drums...

• Purdie...

Considered by most to be a "jazz" drummer, responsible for ? many hip hop songs...

• can't forget about my man Leo Morris right here...

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

???

Ok, maybe not.

Or perhaps ???

[i]Review by Alex Henderson

With Sign of the Times, Bob James, who had done so much to define so-called "smooth jazz," gave his audience yet another dose of the type of pop/R&B/jazz fluff he'd been successful with. Consistently boring and mindless, the album has all of the things one expects from a Bob James recording -- dull arrangements, forgettable melodies and robotic background vocals. /I>

Ok, which one of you guys is Alex Henderson?

Is Headhunters really considered jazz? I always considered it funk

Jazz musician making Funk. Its both.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Is Headhunters really considered jazz?

can't forget about my man Leo Morris right here...

The good Leo. Not

Is Headhunters really considered jazz? I always considered it funk.

Good for you, but it's very much jazz. Most funk bands weren't getting as complex as what he and the band were playing in "Sly".

???

Ok, maybe not.

Or perhaps ???

On the Bob James thing, I'm going through my stuff and talk about slow on my part, but I didn't realize the buffalo nickel on the cover of Heads[/b] was a reference to 5, as in "5th album", and Touchdown[/b] refers to 6, as in 6th album, since a touchdown is 6 points. H[/b] (with the hot dog cover) is the 8th letter, so it's his 8th album. Hands Down[/b] has an X-ray photo of two hands, thus 10 fingers = 10th album. His 13th album happened to be his last under his then-current contract, thus The Swan[/b], as in "swan song". Back luck = 13. Goodbye.

How come I only know about this now? I remember thinking years ago "some of his albums are numbered, others are not". They were fricken numbered the entire time.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Most important... dunno.

???

Ok, maybe not.

Or perhaps ???

On the Bob James thing, I'm going through my stuff and talk about slow on my part, but I didn't realize the buffalo nickel on the cover of Heads[/b] was a reference to 5, as in "5th album", and Touchdown[/b] refers to 6, as in 6th album, since a touchdown is 6 points. H[/b] (with the hot dog cover) is the 8th letter, so it's his 8th album. Hands Down[/b] has an X-ray photo of two hands, thus 10 fingers = 10th album. His 13th album happened to be his last under his then-current contract, thus The Swan[/b], as in "swan song". Back luck = 13. Goodbye.

How come I only know about this now? I remember thinking years ago "some of his albums are numbered, others are not". They were fricken numbered the entire time.

I didnt know that. Thanx.

Notice certain names have longer lists than others.

Headhunters outweighs/trumps VSOP.