When should one replace needles?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I'ts been about 2 years since I've copped a new needle for my 1200. Is that too long of a wait? I dont gig anymore, so my scratchin/cuttin' is at a minimum.Plus it seems my old records get the same burn as recent ones, so, do certain needles cater to older wax/vinyl/grooves? There was a previous post about needles,but i think it was about the superhighendgame.

Comments

• i try to do it 2 to 3 times a year

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

i try to do it 2 to 3 times a year

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I'ts been about 2-3[/b] years since I've copped a new needle

• if you don't use your needles that much, then as long as they work and sound good...

ortofon's wear records more than other needles, but they also have the most accurate sound. Shure MM44 have the best trade-off as to best sound / least wear on the record. less pricey needles will just be aight sound and aight burn

if your current needles are fine just make sure the weights aren't putting more pressure on the record than is necessary.

fix whats broken, but leave whats fixed

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Time per se is not a factor, unless you left the needle sitting there without playing for 20 years, in that case the suspension of the cantilever might get hardened and useless.

Playing-time is the factor, and it's usually listed but the manufacturer.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

i try to do it 2 to 3 times a year

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    My current one was under $100. Should I go into the next price range............
    ............$100-150/175 or iz that overkill?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    My current one was under $100. Should I go into the next price range............
    ............$100-150/175 or iz that overkill?
    I think that depends on what you do. If all your doing is listening to vinyl, I would think having a quality cart (which may or may not cost cake) is important. If you're aspiring to be the next Roc Raida, you can get some rugged, cheap needles. If you DJ at clubs/bars on a constant basis, then, I don't know. I haven't done that in years.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    If you are playing clean, non-scratched records and your tone arm weight is set right, your needles should last for many years.

That said, .0001% of people actually do that. So factor in how dirty and scratched up your records are along with how much you gig and you should replace accordingly. (at least every 6 months IMO.)

I have:

a pair of 44-7s for playing that includes scratching. a pair of white lables for playing without scratching (jazz night etc.). when I played out regularly i replaced these needles twice per year.

i also have a Grado audiophile type needle for home. and a shure mono for 78s and one of those groove carving out Ortofon shits for beat to fuck 45s.

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    after 2000 hours of use. max.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    really - but they're so effing expensive!

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    i know. but i have no doubt that your collection is worth even more!

• groove carving out Ortofon shits for beat to fuck 45s.

Whoah!! Are Ortofons really that bad? I use the Nightclub at home for Listening Recording and the 44-7 for playing out. I keep my needles fresh and I even use one Ortofon nightclub for recording and one for playing....

Should I ditch the ortofons? I don't wanna fuck my shit up!