North Florida Diggin'

Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
So is it worth a 2-5 hr. trip? I'm talking about places like Tallahassee and Jacsonville (all points in between also). Let me know....

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    (all points in between also).

There is NOTHING inbetween.

NOTHING.

N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

Tallahassee is bleh by the way. I wouldn't make a special trip for it.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Tallahassee is bleh by the way. I wouldn't make a special trip for it.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Thanks. Why does North Florida suck?

Thanks. Why does North Florida suck?

It has the population density of Alaska, to start with.

Haha. That is true. I miss the Pac. Northwest.

• there's spots in J'ville but they've consantly run by rubbishvinyl's people and eastern central FL is run by handcorkscrew (I like that one better than the new Wu-name)....

there's spots in J'ville but they've consantly run by rubbishvinyl's people....
    like that dude Nick from that 5 minute video piece?? DAMN!!! I remember some foll posted some finds from Jacksonville months ago. Who was that dude?

• don't know Nick, but J-ville used to be rubbish's city. He and his posse massive took me to many spots...

don't know Nick, but J-ville used to be rubbish's city. He and his posse massive took me to many spots...
    Now he's selling those same records to me via eBay/Sale Classifieds page.

• no doubt - he's a

• There is NOTHING inbetween.

NOTHING.

N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

There is NOTHING inbetween Atlanta and Columbus

NOTHING.

N-O-T-H-I-N-G.

• isn't someone's fave spot to dig Columbus GA????

isn't someone's fave spot to dig Columbus GA????
    must be me! Seriously, you must be talking about Br*an, the Agent45. He told me how he came up on some raers (mainly 45 type) last time that he was here. The spot he copped from no longer sells 45's. As a matter of fact, the owner sold his entire backstock of 45's to a Canadian record dealer! Don't get me wrong, I've found some decent shit out here but I know there's some next level shit in Alabama and Florida.

must be me! Seriously, you must be talking about Br*an, the Agent45. He told me how he came up on some raers (mainly 45 type) last time that he was here. The spot he copped from no longer sells 45's. As a matter of fact, the owner sold his entire backstock of 45's to a Canadian record dealer! Don't get me wrong, I've found some decent shit out here but I know there's some next level shit in Alabama and Florida.

There's all sorts of random little throwback "colored folk" stores in Florida and shit, you just be prepared to spend about $9,000,000 in gas trying to find them.

I came up on some near-mint LL, Slick Rick, etc. 45s w/picture sleeves etc for .50 each at one in rural Florida once, which was mildly interesting (albeit not heatrocks) but I mean... it would take you forever.

Plus those little towns still operate on 1950s mentality, be prepped for the "why are you on this side of Main St." conversation.

There's all sorts of random little throwback "colored folk" stores in Florida and shit, you just be prepared to spend about $9,000,000 in gas trying to find them.

I came up on some near-mint LL, Slick Rick, etc. 45s w/picture sleeves etc for .50 each at one in rural Florida once, which was mildly interesting (albeit not heatrocks) but I mean... it would take you forever.

Plus those little towns still operate on 1950s mentality, be prepped for the "why are you on this side of Main St." conversation.
    Damn, I guess I'll bump Florida off the list! Shit, I'm only 10 min. from Alabama, anyways (an hour and a half from Montgomery). Graf, are you from the South?

• I'm only 10 min. from Alabama, anyways (an hour and a half from Montgomery). Graf, are you from the South?

if you ever make it more north (like huntsville) we can run thangs together - super cops style!!!

Family is from. I stayed down there briefly.

I don't think rural Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi is much different. It depends on the place though, some places are relatively integrated where others are still very separate (like the spot I was talking about).

I'm only 10 min. from Alabama, anyways (an hour and a half from Montgomery). Graf, are you from the South?

if you ever make it more north (like huntsville) we can run thangs together - super cops style!!!
    Word bond! A brotha is down. I know there's beats in TN, too!

I don't think rural Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi is much different. It depends on the place though, some places are relatively integrated where others are still very separate (like the spot I was talking about).
    Yeah, dude. My biggest fear is breaking down in the middle of Bumfuck, Georgia in the pursuit of raer.

• I know there's beats in TN, too!

let's do it!!!! let's go to Mr.s T's!!!!!

Yeah, dude. My biggest fear is breaking down in the middle of Bumfuck, Georgia in the pursuit of raer.

Well people aren't aliens but still ... I haven't the aforementioned conversation before. "You're not from around here... are you?"

I know there's beats in TN, too!

let's do it!!!! let's go to Mr.s T's!!!!!
    yo, give me some time to get some shit together (times is hard). but rest assured, i'll be up there!

• reskresk 391 Posts
    Tallahassee aint all that happening.

honestly man, its a lot of luck out here (as it is in most places). Of course theres the thrift shops which are real hit or miss, the dealers who bring out records at the flea markets dont always bring out records, or just dont always show up, and theres really only like 3 at the most (last week only 2 people had records and one guys been bringing the same stack for over a year now). The record store here (not counting vinyl fever) is one of the worsts, dude doesnt like to buy what he doesnt know (so he seems to go for more common records, cause he thinks the lps he doesnt know, no one else will no so therefore wont sell).

Of course, you get lucky, ived had some decent finds at the thrifts and flea market, but again, extremely hit or miss as thats expected.

I usually travel to south georgia or west of Tallahassee to dig every so often.

Jacksonville has records, but theres more competition out there too.

• jacksonville definitely had some records during the summer. i saw them. it was at some flea market (one of those that never close, etc.) down by the beach south of downtown. it was basically like storage units that regular people unlocked on the weekends. anyways, dood had mad heat. ayers, soft machine, old jazz, some funk. i really can't remember all the the stuff i pulled but it was like 50+ records. insanity. anyways, after like 20 minutes of looking, i bring all the stuff i had up to dood, only to have him tell me that he hasn't gone through them yet and that they are not for sale!!!!!!!! he tells me the ones outside of his unit are for sale (aka a bunch of dollar bin throwaways). he wouldn't even except an offer!!!!

i'm sure all these beauties are going to end up on the bay at some point.

so yes, jacksonville does have some records.

good luck.

• there are still records in Jax...DJ Therapy told me of his run in with that Flea Market dood about 2 weeks ago...you should of heard the stuff that homeboy wouldn't sell him...anyways not really worth a 2 hour drive but stop by Al's Pizza in Little 5 points and say hi to Tammy for me!

j

Where, Gadsden County? I hope you're digging holes.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    yeah there was a spot in gadsen county that had some overstock sealed joints from late 70s and 80s, it was fairly hood spot. shit i need to go back, i got discouraged cause of gas prices when i came back up to tallahassee

the thomasville flea market is always an experiece too, you'll find some real random ass shit there. its an indoor flea market (kinda), basically its like a man made shed, but an enlongated shed. Everytime i go (which isnt that often), im the only person in there, and only one guy runs it. Dude is always boiling peanuts and keeps a shotgun by the register.

yeah there was a spot in gadsen county that had some overstock sealed joints from late 70s and 80s, it was fairly hood spot. shit i need to go back, i got discouraged cause of gas prices when i came back up to tallahassee

It's not a tinted window gospel music store, is it :P

Tallahassee aint all that happening.

honestly man, its a lot of luck out here (as it is in most places). Of course theres the thrift shops which are real hit or miss, the dealers who bring out records at the flea markets dont always bring out records, or just dont always show up, and theres really only like 3 at the most (last week only 2 people had records and one guys been bringing the same stack for over a year now). The record store here (not counting vinyl fever) is one of the worsts, dude doesnt like to buy what he doesnt know (so he seems to go for more common records, cause he thinks the lps he doesnt know, no one else will no so therefore wont sell).

Of course, you get lucky, ived had some decent finds at the thrifts and flea market, but again, extremely hit or miss as thats expected.

Jacksonville has records, but theres more competition out there too.
    I thought you was from Tallahassee. That place sounds like the Florida version of Columbus

Mr. , whenever I make it back up to the A, I'll hollar at Tammi