Does Your Girl (Or Guy) Go Digging With You?

13»

Comments

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    no.

and i like it that way.

However, I do have a friend that's not into records at all, but who is into bargaining, so I bring him along sometimes cause I suck at that.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    No girlfriend, and I brought a previous girlfriend who was really bad at hiding her impatience. I tried to include her, give her some historical break downs of records and try to link it up with her interests. In the end it didn't work and I just felt bad for her.

Nevertheless, I soon realised it's not a constructive activity between partners.

I do have a digging buddy, and we have rigged a fairly good system of who gets the goodies. I like having someone to dig with, making jokes makes the bank pain go away.

Finding a good digging buddy is like finding a good girlfriend, though.

• And all this "pat on the back" hey baby great you scored! is straight poptartism.

Yeah I know, it's embarrassing.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

Probably the worst idea, ever, next to bringing her to, I don't know, a magic card convention.

• Finding a good digging buddy is like finding a good girlfriend, though.

Yes indeed.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    It used to really be interesting back when I was selling at record shows in NYC to see dudes bringing their girls to these shows. Usually the ladies would be mad bored and red' ta go while dude was flippin' through the crates, pollyin' with other diggers / producers and listening to a stack of 3 second breaks through the headphones. I would always feel bad for these ignored young women and would usually strike up a convo with them, just so they wouldn't feel totally useless in this environment (I think it would've been pretty easy to pull a couple of these girls if I'd have gone for it... one in particular I actually wanted to, but the dude happened to notice her enjoying the conversation a little too much and quickly got out of the crates and back to his woman's side- good move by him).

Then you had the dudes who used their girl to try to sweet talk the prices down. Some cute girl would come up asking me about certain records, acting slightly flirty. The boyfriend would be nowhere around, of course. If I had the record they wanted, they'd use their womanly wiles (you know, just smiling and stuff in a way that your average horny dude would get hopeful that he might get a piece) to try to get a nice price. Of course, I always peeped this from a mile away, but it still is a good technique and the only reason that I would recommend bringing your woman with you when you're doing some serious digging (unless she's a digger herself).

• it still is a good technique and the only reason that I would recommend bringing your woman with you when you're doing some serious digging (unless she's a digger herself).

This reminds me of a rather outlandish story that I'll tell anyway. I spend some time in Lahore, Pakistan digging for local film posters (some of the best artwork). So I seeked out offices of producers and distributors who still offered old movie prints and had some stock of the accompanying posters. They really didn't want to part with the posters since it's still used as promo material. Once my girlfriend went along and a blond girl in such seedy offices was a bit of a novelty and they did the math: as long as we keep giving this fool posters, this girl will continue standing over there. I left with stupid raer posters because the longer they kept this going, the deeper they had to reach in their archives.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i took a girlfriend record buying once and felt like a total asshole after. i spent about two hours and would have left earlier but i hardly get out to that spot. i would only take a girl to a record store with me if they asked because honestly shits incredibly boring to people who aren't into it.

Tell her to remember that shit when you're rollin into 20 minutes between the legs with a tongue cramp.

now that's funny.

but what the hell is up with your avatar? creepy.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    i remember when i first met my girl we hit melrose to hang out and i couldn't resist "hey,let me see what they got in here...i'll only be 10 minutes"....1 hour later she was leaning on the "Rock" section obviously ready to go but she didn't complain once...i felt like shit when we were leaving but it let me know she was a "down ass chick"....i still cant believe i did that shit...that was the first and last time

• While I'm digging (for obsolete clothing, fabrics, and images) I never hear a peep from my man, there's usually plenty of vinyl in the op shop to keep him out of my hair

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

FUCK NO[/b]

What he said.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I just point towards the clothes department. After that she disappears in a blur of colour and light.

• Tell her to remember that shit when you're rollin into 20 minutes between the legs with a tongue cramp.

• I just point towards the clothes department. After that she disappears in a blur of colour and light.

Hot Koki.
    Phillip Francis Stumpo.
    Kimbo record series.

Need I go on?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Alright already!

You dig too!

Can I go now?