Local Store Pricing Rant

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
OK, we've talked about this in the past - I honestly never thought I'd have reason to complain, but my local store has officially caught the "relying on 'the book' and GEMM for pricing the majority of records" bug.

A $63 copy of "Comin' At Ya'?" Sorry, I used to get them there for $7 a few weeks ago.

What I'm thinking about trying to explain to them is that GEMM dealers are not necessarily pricing records "to sell." They're hoping some Buy It Now fiend will suck it up and empty his/her savings account because they can't find the $10 break record anywhere else... This is where RECISM comes in and f*cks it up for everyone else!

Have any of you actually had conversations with dealers at your local about how records are priced? I'm not trying to tell anyone how to make their money or run their business, but I do have a few suggestion in mind. And, I can't really complain, some things will still get a solid price and/or slip thru the cracks etc., but ya'll feel me? I'm not necessarily trying to get over on anyone - afterall, I want to support my local record stores. But, isn't it in the best interest of the (returning) customer and business to price reasonably?

How does your local run it?

Comments

• How does your local run it?

Buying/collecting records in US from the trashcan or dollar bins of horrible-shaped albums for under $1

and then cleaning every record and putting a 20 EURO+ sign on it.

If I have bought a record this day,

bought another copy next day it always had a raising in price of 50%.

How does me run it with this shop ?

I forget about it.

• I was having a similar conversation with a friend of mine last night. One of his local joints got the Ebay fever and now $15 Kraut records are on the back wall with a $100 price tag and a printout of an Ebay auction from two years ago where some Japanese dude went krazy on the bid factor.

Eventually, peeps are gonna learn that no one here is buying these overpriced records and the price will eventually go back down.

Still tho, enough good records fall thru the cracks to keep me digging.

• Still tho, how long do good records fall thru the cracks to keep us
    digging.

?

• Undeniably one fact resounds. The price tactics attributed to the "evil sellers" is only amplified by the temperature and humidity that day. Grandmother used to speak of it. It was a major problem in her time.

Collectively, the records of the shelves form the set of personal environments. An environment is a particular type of self gratification, or more generally an abomination of inherent conditions. Strictly speaking, it is more correct to say that an practice such as blind leading consists of one stable practice rather than that it has one stable source.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Are we in the same thread?

I do not understand this:

Undeniably one fact resounds. The price tactics attributed to the "evil sellers" is only amplified by the temperature and humidity that day. Grandmother used to speak of it. It was a major problem in her time.

Collectively, the records of the shelves form the set of personal environments. An environment is a particular type of self gratification, or more generally an abomination of inherent conditions. Strictly speaking, it is more correct to say that an practice such as blind leading consists of one stable practice rather than that it has one stable source.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    What store is this? Rec(turd) Exchange?

What store is this? Rec(turd) Exchange?

Thankfully, no...

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    OK, we've talked about this in the past - I honestly never thought I'd have reason to complain, but my local store has officially caught the "relying on 'the book' and GEMM for pricing the majority of records" bug.

A $63 copy of "Comin' At Ya'?" Sorry, I used to get them there for $7 a few weeks ago.

What I'm thinking about trying to explain to them is that GEMM dealers are not necessarily pricing records "to sell." They're hoping some Buy It Now fiend will suck it up and empty his/her savings account because they can't find the $10 break record anywhere else... This is where RECISM comes in and f*cks it up for everyone else!

Have any of you actually had conversations with dealers at your local about how records are priced? I'm not trying to tell anyone how to make their money or run their business, but I do have a few suggestion in mind. And, I can't really complain, some things will still get a solid price and/or slip thru the cracks etc., but ya'll feel me? I'm not necessarily trying to get over on anyone - afterall, I want to support my local record stores. But, isn't it in the best interest of the (returning) customer and business to price reasonably?

This kind of pricing policy is killing walk-in business at local record stores - shoppers figure that they may as well just get that shit off ebay if they are gonna have to pay those prices anyway.

A couple places I frequent used to try that 'gemm priceguide' strategy - 6 months later they noticed they hadn't seen me & my big benjamins in a minute...

---

A couple places I frequent used to try that 'gemm priceguide' strategy - 6 months later they noticed they hadn't seen me & my big benjamins in a minute...

---

Have they changed policy since then? Or does it remain a case of "Well, now that we've got all of these 'expensive' records, we're just waiting on somebody to come in who wants all of them." ?

---

Have they changed policy since then? Or does it remain a case of "Well, now that we've got all of these 'expensive' records, we're just waiting on somebody to come in who wants all of them." ?

I think they basically realized that there were only a handful of regulars who were actually interested in buying out-of-the-ordinary records & that alienating them wasn't a good idea.

I had already cleared out almost anything good 45wise before they got hip to gemm & popsike so it was esp infuriating to be quoted a gemm price on some piece of shit I threw in the pile just to get my item total up.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I just say "sorry, i thought they were for sale" and leave.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    man Gemm pricing is even more ridiculous than ebay! I've definitely been in some stores that price things insanely, although I'm not sure what they based it on...probably price guides which aren't much more useful. The problem is it seems like a lot of stores get angry/defensive if you bring this up with them, even if you're just trying to help them. It seems pointless to me to have some Sidney Bechet LP sitting on a shelf for 2 years just because they want $250 for it because that's what the price guide said. But whatever, I basically just don't frequent those kinds of places anymore and figure eventually they'll either figure out it's not working or they'll go out of business.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4783934531&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

this will go for $35 if anybody even bids on it. Mara/Gemm wants over $150 for it.

when they said that I havent sent a dime since.

its like just because its old its worth a million dollars, you know they made bad records back then too.

• OK, we've talked about this in the past - I honestly never thought I'd have reason to complain, but my local store has officially caught the "relying on 'the book' and GEMM for pricing the majority of records" bug.

You know, people gripe a lot about record store pricing but very few people try to negotiate (at least, with me). Or they have very poor tactics. I had a guy come in, pull out a $200 record, and say "would you take $100 for this?" hahahahaha! jokes! But seriously, when I price something, I assume that someone may wish to pay $5, $10 less or whatever. I get people in who are not happy with a price - but instead of trying to bargain they just put it back! So weird... like, if you want to pay $30, and it's $40, why not ask? Maybe it's been there for two months and I really want to move it. But I can't help ya if you don't ask.

Like I heard at a lady's house who had an ad on-line:

"Somebody even found Michael Jackson "Thriller" album here! Can you believe that?"

$5 or $10 on a $200 record?

what a guy.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    i guess i don't feel right bartering at a record store, it seems different than a flea market or something. why don't you just price them correctly? Isn't it better than having people put stuff back because you overpriced it (especially on purpose!)???

You know, people gripe a lot about record store pricing but very few people try to negotiate (at least, with me). Or they have very poor tactics. I had a guy come in, pull out a $200 record, and say "would you take $100 for this?" hahahahaha! jokes! But seriously, when I price something, I assume that someone may wish to pay $5, $10 less or whatever. I get people in who are not happy with a price - but instead of trying to bargain they just put it back! So weird... like, if you want to pay $30, and it's $40, why not ask? Maybe it's been there for two months and I really want to move it. But I can't help ya if you don't ask.

I think people, me included, assume that stores price "as is." You can't walk into Best Buy and be like, "Hey, can you knock a few bucks off this DVD?" They will tell you to take your sorry ass elsewhere. I understand that there's a difference between that and the local mom & pop experience, which can at times be like a flea market with business hours and a credit card machine, but it's a good thing to keep in mind.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I always try to negotiate, and I like the part when all ends up in "Tell you what, $xxx for these 3 and this one goes for free". It makes me feel powerful, and more willing to come back to that store

I usually buy in bulk and try to negotiate a deal based on that.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

I only do that type of shit at a place where I feel comfortable. Its to the point now (as im sure with many of you) that my places just automatically figure in the discount when i check out. I only ask when im buying a pricier record, such as a $75 record, I would say "You can go better on this right?" and he will usuall knock it down 10-15

But this dude also puts shit on Gemm for CRAZY prices. But in the physical store he has them marked at the correct and under price. He wants to sell the shit, but if he can move it on Gemm then great for him.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

I always negotiate. Especially when you got $100 in 45s dudes are more than willing to cut you a break. It always blows me away when guys don't make an offer on a piece that I am selling. It's worth a try.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    But i guess I feel comfortable doing that because I already established myself as a customer, by spending hundreds of dollars there pre-discount.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I think certain local shops in my area have caught that fever too, but I still try to support them. I just wish they would holler at the regulars first when they get what they think is a hot/expensive commodity in their store. I see these "buy-it-nows" on the 'bay and wonder why they didn't offer it to me first. I'd pay the $25 that I don't normally spend in the store for say a James Brown's Hell LP or something like that. I never see that in the store though.

I know shops need to pay the bills, but they don't realize they're not going to get the deep cheese out of their local customers if they don't offer up some deeper records.
    I'm not going to pay $20 for Dennis Coffey's Evolution, sorry. That Cleopatra Jones OST on ebay looks really nice though. *sigh*

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

I only do that type of shit at a place where I feel comfortable. Its to the point now (as im sure with many of you) that my places just automatically figure in the discount when i check out. I only ask when im buying a pricier record, such as a $75 record, I would say "You can go better on this right?" and he will usuall knock it down 10-15

But this dude also puts shit on Gemm for CRAZY prices. But in the physical store he has them marked at the correct and under price. He wants to sell the shit, but if he can move it on Gemm then great for him.

I never do that. Shit is not the flea market with me. If you walk into a record store and shit has a price tag, I respect what they are asking and politely don't buy it. I don't want to risk getting on folk's bad side by trying such a manuvre. If you want to move... adjust the price.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

I never do that. Shit is not the flea market with me. If you walk into a record store and shit has a price tag, I respect what they are asking and politely don't buy it. I don't want to risk getting on folk's bad side by trying such a manuvre. If you want to move... adjust the price.

yeah, I agree. I won't try to haggle in a shop. It seems rude.

But, like Docbeezy said, the places I used to buy from for years would always round down on my purchases. Perhaps because I was always polite & always spent money, and never hassled them on price?

I think certain local shops in my area have caught that fever too, but I still try to support them. I just wish they would holler at the regulars first when they get what they think is a hot/expensive commodity in their store. I see these "buy-it-nows" on the 'bay and wonder why they didn't offer it to me first. I'd pay the $25 that I don't normally spend in the store for say a James Brown's Hell LP or something like that. I never see that in the store though.

I know shops need to pay the bills, but they don't realize they're not going to get the deep cheese out of their local customers if they don't offer up some deeper records.
    I'm not going to pay $20 for Dennis Coffey's Evolution, sorry. That Cleopatra Jones OST on ebay looks really nice though. *sigh*

I think I know the shop of which you speak - as much as I have love for them, I wish they would just price some records period. Having everything unpriced is very discouraging for the average customer.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

I always try to negotiate, and I like the part when all ends up in "Tell you what, $xxx for these 3 and this one goes for free". It makes me feel powerful, and more willing to come back to that store

cosign! the thing with the stores in my town is that most of them have to feed a family. so the pricing is sometimes absurd to say the least. but if you talk to the man and negotiate, things can turn out well! but still, 50 Euros for an Ocean Orchestra? Hell no, I straight tell them I'm a Dj, not a collector! But the funny thing is, most of the times the guy in one store (who has some raers on the wall) usually finds someone to sell that ish to...i just go for the under the radar stuff and things that i might never see again (I was tempted to spend 300Eurodollars for an Asiko once, but yeah, then you can do that on ebay as well)...but i try not to be bitter when people price their records high. Ask for a discount, if they're not into it, fine, i spend my money elsewhere...simple. But sometimes I really get angry though, especially if i know what someone paid for the record to resell it (e.g. public enemy 12", bought for one euro, sitting on the wall for 20. and it was even a uk pressing of Don't believe the hype)

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

I think I know the shop of which you speak - as much as I have love for them, I wish they would just price some records period. Having everything unpriced is very discouraging for the average customer.
    Ah, I'm just used to that though. It is depressing when I walk in with a budget and come to the register with a mound of records, only to put 3/4s of them back.
    It's worse though to see the heavy jawns that I request actually pop up and go straight to the internet. It makes me not want to roll through again on some "what's the point?" shit.