INDIAN FOOD

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited March 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
well fellers, i just realized there are 2 indian mkts in the neighborhood. problem is, i only know how to eat the food. anyone have any recipes and/or brands or products i should gather for vittles? thnak you.

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    CRATE DIGGING REVEALED

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Soyso Cola = that hard-core b-boy shit.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    CRATE DIGGING REVEALED

sheesh. alright then needyogre.

can anyone recommend some recipes and/or records to play in my mind radio while i peruse the aisles?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Headz know the deal.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    you posting a lot about food lately homie!!!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    lately?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    If you are cooking indian food, you need garum masala. If you don't have that, you'll have a hard time cooking anything but straight "curry" dish.
    T.N.

someone say food?

sorry, i was in that burger king thread looking at, er, pictures.

but im done now. and im hungry. wussup on the indian food?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Ask "Deejay" Om... he swears by Indian food. We went to an Indian restaurant in Paris and the minute we got there we noticed there was a dead mouse in one of the glass tiles in the ceiling. On the way out I said "have a mice day"... and instead of saying bye I said "MOUSE" the food was horrendous.. why did we eat there?????

I enjoy some masala

What do you need motherbatch?

Dopiaza
    Jalfrezie
    Butter Chicken
    Malai Boti Kabab
    Tikka
    Tikka Masala
    Karahi
    Makhani
    Rogan Josh
    Dildaar (curried pineapple w/meat, say werd!)
    Madras
    Tikka Bhuna
    Chicken Pillao (delicious!)
    Chicken Chana Chat (stank as a mofo yet delicious!)

Much more if you gimme an idea of what ya like.
    T.N.

OMmie is the homie. but dude's idea of cooking is filling a glass of water from the bathroom sink.

but he did tell me tales of the scandinavian honeys and the 12oz vodka cans.

Dopiaza
    Jalfrezie
    Butter Chicken
    Malai Boti Kabab
    Tikka
    Tikka Masala
    Karahi
    Makhani
    Rogan Josh
    Madras
    Tikka Bhuna

T.N.

YESSSSSSS!!!! folkers, this is why i love me some soulstrut.

uh, the_non, i mean, i dont know what im reading but it all sounds good. even that stinky shit. i guess id just like a base of ingredients i should need. if that helps. if not hook me up with that dildar recipe cuz even if i dont like it, i shall enjoy saying the name.

Those are all names of types of preparations.Chana chat is in this green sauce and the chicken is served cold. It smells like sulfur/asscheeks, but is absolutely dee-fucking-licious. I'll get back to you about recipes, gotta look some up.
    T.N.

PS Go buy the following spices:

cardamom
    garum masala
    turmeric
    cumin
    coriander
    cilantro

Essentials, can't cook Indian without em.

Those are all names of types of preparations.Chana chat is in this green sauce and the chicken is served cold. It smells like sulfur/asscheeks, but is absolutely dee-fucking-licious. I'll get back to you about recipes, gotta look some up.
    T.N.

cardamom
    garum masala
    turmeric
    cumin
    coriander
    cilantro

thanks! you rule

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Shig is my homie.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    WHAT THE FUCK! WHY HASN'T SOULMARCOSSA WEIGHED IN??? [/b]

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

Wifey hates Indian food so I'm limited to having it when I'm out of town or on the way to DJ gigs from work =

MARCO KEEPS THE WEAK INDIAN FOOD CRATES

I cry now

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Wifey hates Indian food so I'm limited to having it when I'm out of town or on the way to DJ gigs from work =

MARCO KEEPS THE WEAK INDIAN FOOD CRATES

I cry now

da, amd I thought Faux_Rillz was whipped!

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts
    essentials.

also good to have around but not key: bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, fennel, whole cloves, saffron, fresh and ground green or red chillie peppers, tamarind...

if you want to wild out you can get amchoor (ground up green mango).

and when you use turmeric watch your cloths. worse than grape juice.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    well fellers, i just realized there are 2 indian mkts in the neighborhood. problem is, i only know how to eat the food. anyone have any recipes and/or brands or products i should gather for vittles? thnak you.

Hi, Shig,

What you need to do is board a plane & get yourself to Montreal. I'll take you to my favorite Indian spot & you can sample some channa bhoona, masala dosas, aloo gobi, & this wacky dish which kinda tastes like rice pudding laced with lemon pledge - It tastes better than it sounds.

Danno knows what I'm talking about.

Peace

h

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Shig - This is a pretty good site for recipes. There is some corny humour so ignore that part.

Death by Curry

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts

Hi, Shig,

What you need to do is board a plane & get yourself to Montreal. I'll take you to my favorite Indian spot & you can sample some channa bhoona, masala dosas, aloo gobi, & this wacky dish which kinda tastes like rice pudding laced with lemon pledge - It tastes better than it sounds.

Peace

h

are you kidding me? montreal is complete trash when it comes to indian food.
    maybe i'd touched the wrong places. what's your spot?

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

cardamom
    garum masala
    turmeric
    cumin
    coriander
    cilantro

also mustard seeds and curry leaves. and maybe some of those orange lentils for dhal. and of course GREEN CHILLIES[/b]thats all south indian food basics.

heres a nice beginers veg indian recipe that seems to kill heads that i make it for

the bits

a few mustard seeds (about the size of a quarter in your palm)
    a hand full of coriander (cilantro is the same thing)
    half a green chilly (or a quarter, depending on how spice you want it)
    some vegtable oil (olive oil works too)
    shreaded carrots (about a medium sized bowl full)

the heat (before all this have your ingred. prepd)

coat the bottom of a pan with the oil and heat up the pan at medium-high heat.

this is the tricky part, and perfecting htis only comes with practice--throw the mustard seeds in when the oil is hot enough to crack the seeds with. If you do this right, youll hear a crackle a few seconds after you throw the seeds in. Its okay if you hear a sizzle, you just half to wait till the seeds crack to get all the flavor outta them. you also dont wanna burn your oil and you seeds or your food will taste like charcol. basically the mustard seeds should crackle for maybe 15-30 secs. o and you might get a few excited seeds that decide to pop outta your pan. that means your shit is too hot. (did i say this was a good beginners recipe) no seriously, im making it seem a lot harder than it is.

after the whole seed fiasco, reduce the heat to about medium or alittle less (just to calm down the seeds) and throw in your chillies. let those roast for a few mins (but dont burn).

throw your carrots in and mix with the goodies and maybe some salt and pepper. you could increase the heat if your in a hurry, but you gotta stand over them and mix it. the coriander should be the last thing you put in. and salt it to taste. thats it. should only take you about 15 min.

next week, vegtable bryriani

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

Warning: Do not operate heavy machinery after consumption

• Montreal friends, I have just tried this highly recommended indian resto today:

(read 5011 Blvd des Sources/ Montreal (Pierrefonds) / QC)

Haz, what are THE indian food spots ? Or Danno perhaps ?

Hi, Shig,

Peace

h

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    nothing like a good palak paneer and a garlic naan

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts

i dont know about cooking the shit but lets go eat it....maybe on the way back from the beer garden with all the dope music, or we can hit another spot i know thats on the westside..

its that or ramen next time we meet up dawg.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Dopiaza
    Jalfrezie
    Butter Chicken
    Malai Boti Kabab
    Tikka
    Tikka Masala
    Karahi
    Makhani
    Rogan Josh
    Madras
    Tikka Bhuna

T.N.

YESSSSSSS!!!! folkers, this is why i love me some soulstrut.

uh, the_non, i mean, i dont know what im reading but it all sounds good. even that stinky shit. i guess id just like a base of ingredients i should need. if that helps. if not hook me up with that dildar recipe cuz even if i dont like it, i shall enjoy saying the name.

Shig -

If I could throw my $ 0.02 into the mix - most or all foodstuffs deemed 'Indian' in North America or outside of the Subcontinent is primarily going to have either Punjabi or Gujarati origins... Tikka and tandoori rely on the tandoori oven, which was imported from Turkey and/or Persia/Iran during the course of India's history... When I travelled the coastline from Mumbai/Bombay (although I flew into Delhi) down south then back up to Calcutta, there definitely are regional specialties (as you would encounter goin' through any country)... A lot of the dishes that I had in Kerala and Tamil Nadu went heavy on coconut milk, similar to what you'd find in Malaysia/Singapore (which isn't surprising given the immigration patterns from India to that part of SE Asia: primarily Tamils from Tamil Nadu, not Sri Lanka)... And the West Bengalis sure love freshwater fish as a staple of their diet (and as a holdover from bein' the capital of British colonial India, Calcutta offers dishes such as shrimp cutlet)...

• Chicken Saag. Those Indians do wonderful things with spinach.