Music (or anything else) in Kenya ,TanzaniaUganda

ilkkailkka 31 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
Hi,

I will bi travelling to Kenya (Nairobi) in two weeks. If we have time and resources we will also visit Tanzania and we might also go to Uganda if it's possible. We have some local contacts and I believe that we will have a great time. Does anyone here have any info on local music (/or even records)? I would really appreciate any info. You can also suggest anything else that would be cool to see or do there.

Thanks,

-Ilkka

Comments

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    I've never been to Kenya but i imagine that tracking music may prove to be difficult. I'm certain you'll have no problem finding cassettes though. Records might turn up at one of city markets and if they do there's plenty of great kenyan stuff to get into- benga beat, especially check out the dance music of the kilimambogo brothers band or the morogoro jazz band who may have both been tanzanian, now that i think about it.

most of the dance music of eastern africa was pressed on 7"s so i can't imagine there being too many albums about...

one of favorite authors of all time is kenyan- ngugi wa thiongo- you might want to check out one of his novels or political essays before visiting. he's been an incredible source for understanding the history of the resistance movement in the country as the greed and broken dreams of the postcolonial era. check out Devil on the Cross or Petals of Blood.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Remy Ongala is from Tanzania. His music is dope and I would assume there would be "older" "funkier" pre cursors to his more known music. Also, Usha In Nairobi was pressed in Kenya. Pick that up, grailraerhotfiyahplacebostylebraeks. Other than that, there was a Kenyan comp a few years back, track that down too.
    Peace
    T.N.

• ilkkailkka 31 Posts
    Other than that, there was a Kenyan comp a few years back, track that down too.

Thanks for the answers. Do you remember the name of the comp? Or even the label that released it?
    I have never been in Africa before, but I have also heard that it's not too easy to find records there. Finding any Kenyan jazz or any good music would be very nice. Any info will be appreciated.

• ilkkailkka 31 Posts
    OK, I will fly to Nairobi on thursday (5th May), and a week after that (12th May) we will fly to Kampala (Uganda). We will propably spend the second week there. So it looks like we are not going to Tanzania, but any info regarding Kenya & Uganda will be appreciated.