songs that are nearly identical

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
noticed this today...these two songs sound almost exactly the same:Ruby Andrews - You Ole Boo Boo YouDoug Anderson - Mama, Here Comes the Preachersame key and everything! too obvious not to notice.also, not as distinct, but still sorta similar:24-Carat Black - 24 Carat Black ThemeCan - Vitamin Cive noticed plenty more.what are some youve noticed?

Comments

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    whatnauts-help is on the way 12"
    fat larry's band-act like you know 12"
    (too easy-common knowledge)!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    not the whole song, but The Temptations- "Can't Get Next to You" has a cymbal break almost identical to The Jackson 5's "ABC". Any other Motown tunes with the same thing?

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    my aunt wanted to chime in:

all rap songs
    ketan

• JB's Hot (I Need to be Loved) pretty much dupes Bowie's 'Fame'. Still like it, tho.

• nickelbacksucks.mp3

nobody said GOOD songs that sound the same

• jgissjgiss 42 Posts
    I've always thought that Badder Than Evil's "Hot Wheels (the Chase)" sounded a lot like a sped-up version of "The Caterpillar" -- either Lou Donaldson's or the Gay Flamingoes Steelband's...

• Fred Wesley's "Makin' Love" vs. Ohio Players "Skin Tight."

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Sort of related, can anyone confirm whether Soul Makossa by the Mighty Tom Cats is a bootleg or a cover of Manu's? Sound pretty much the same to me.

which is which?

• keni burke - risin to the top
    mary jane girls - all nite long

• Bill withers - use me

Jean knight - do me

(the latter used same IDENTICAL rhythm pattern (break included) as the former )

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Steve Grossman - Inmate man on PM

and

Teruo Nakemura - The Cat on Polydor

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Fatback - I Found Lovin'
    Cashflow - Mine All Mine

• Peggy Scott & Jo Jo Benson - I Want To Love You
    Joey Morant - Chicken Talk (same track with trumpet replacing vocals?!)

• Slave "Watching You"
    Odyssey "Inside Out"

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    "I'll Be Missing You" sounds exactly like the Police song "Every Breath You Take." It's fucking eery!

-e

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    There have to be about 50 Bohannon songs that sound the same... but I forgive him...

• Steve Grossman - Inmate man on PM

and

Teruo Nakemura - The Cat on Polydor

I think these were recorded around the same time, and Steve Grossman plays on the Teruo Nakemura album too.

• puppup 133 Posts
    that and there are a whole mess of songs that came out of the same studios which use the same instrumental tracks but different vocal or instrumentals on top.

For example:
    Fried Chicken "Funky DJ" and Earnest Jackson "Funky Black Man" , as Cut and Shadow pointed out in the Bizarro world section of Product Placement.

But also, there are ill joints from Brunswick that do the same thing. For example: Erma Franklin, Young-Holt Ultd, and Jackie Wilson all use the same dope track for their respective versions of Light My Fire (which begs the question, which one did Prince Paul use for "Saturdays"?).

Plus my favorite combo is Red Holloways "Gettin Down" is the same as "The Campbell Lock". Two deep funk delites.

All these things make for some tight ass mixes...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    jean knight - mr. big stuff
    jean knight - you think you're hot stuff

• William DeVaughn:
    Be Thankful For What You Got
    Blood Is Thicker Than Water

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    JB's Hot (I Need to be Loved) pretty much dupes Bowie's 'Fame'. Still like it, tho.

Really JB duped Bowie? I thought it was the other way around???

• JB's Hot (I Need to be Loved) pretty much dupes Bowie's 'Fame'. Still like it, tho.

I thought the same thing, so I looked it up:

Young Americans - 1975
    Hot - 1976

who'd a thunk?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Wire's Three Girl Rhumba and that Elastica song that ripped it off that was popular on the radio.

• The Jam - Start
    The Beatles - Taxman

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    JB's Hot (I Need to be Loved) pretty much dupes Bowie's 'Fame'. Still like it, tho.

Young Americans - 1975
    Hot - 1976

who'd a thunk?

Crazy!

Young Americans - 1975
    Hot - 1976

who'd a thunk?

Crazy!

from what I understand, the tune and main riff is Carlos Alomar's...he was the guitarist in both JB's and Bowie's band during the same time...each singer recognized the genius in that tune/riff and claimed it for himself...Bowie just had the upper hand as he had John Lennon writing the lyrics..

• Do ya Think I'm Sexy by Rod Stewart
    Taj Mahal by Jorge Ben

so similar that Stewart got sued and lost.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Do ya Think I'm Sexy by Rod Stewart
    Taj Mahal by Jorge Ben

He must have settled out of court, then. I dunno the Jorge Ben tune, but there's a blatant lift from Bobby Womack's "If You Want My Lovin' (Put Something Down On It)" in "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy". Millie Jackson used to do a medley of the two in her live show. She might even have recorded it.

• Do ya Think I'm Sexy by Rod Stewart
    Taj Mahal by Jorge Ben

He must have settled out of court, then. I dunno the Jorge Ben tune, but there's a blatant lift from Bobby Womack's "If You Want My Lovin' (Put Something Down On It)" in "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy". Millie Jackson used to do a medley of the two in her live show. She might even have recorded it.

Ive been listening to that 14 minute version of Taj Mahal on repeat the last few days and I cant hear "Do ya think Im sexy" in it at all...also it wasnt written by Rod Stewart, I believe it was his drummer, Carmine Appice(of Vanilla Fudge,Cactus and Ozzy fame) who wrote it.

• Isley Bros - This Old Heart Of Mine
    The Impressions - I Can't Satisfy