I have jury duty today.

2»

Comments

• autezautez 404 Posts
    i just throw mine away when i get it

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    not to be newbie and contrarian and goodie two-shoed but what if it was your trial and your jury was compromised solely of retirees because nobody else had "time." is this what you would want?

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I did a day at jury duty last week. I was selected for a 3 month trial and right before jury selection they asked if there were any full-time teachers in the house and then they dismissed me.

I am 29 and I have been called for jury duty about 8-9 times.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Man, I knew I shouldn't have registered to vote.

Come on now. Remember: vote or die!

this does not work. I took great measures in trying this and registered in another state. The only thing that happened is I got a summons to be a juror in Nevada.

The basis of registering to vote may or may not work. In Ohio, they pull just from voter rolls. In other states they pull from driver's license rolls. If you got called in Nevada and didn't live there just say you moved.

• hi. my boss has jury duty this week as well. end.

• I'm 43, a registered voter and licensed driver and I have never (legitimately) been called for jury duty. I say legitimately because I used to get jury summonses from the adjacent county (no idea why).

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Im due

but i always get dismissed

• I've always heard this business about try to get dismissed, but the one time I've been called it seemed like it worked a bit differently than that. This was Kings County (Brooklyn).

They had everybody (~100 people) in a big room and every now and then a couple of lawyers involved in a particular case would come through and the clerk would send a subset of people into a room for questioning. As far as I could tell, if the lawyers weren't feeling you for their case you just went back into the main pool and the cycle started again. It didn't appear to be up to the lawyers to dismiss you from jury duty altogether.

I ended up on a fender bender case with a group of fellow jurors who did very little to give me faith in the ability of the average Kings County resident to effectively perceive, weigh, and utilize more than a few pieces of information at one time.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I've always heard this business about try to get dismissed, but the one time I've been called it seemed like it worked a bit differently than that. This was Kings County (Brooklyn).

They had everybody (~100 people) in a big room and every now and then a couple of lawyers involved in a particular case would come through and the clerk would send a subset of people into a room for questioning. As far as I could tell, if the lawyers weren't feeling you for their case you just went back into the main pool and the cycle started again. It didn't appear to be up to the lawyers to dismiss you from jury duty altogether.

They can't--they can only dismiss you from that particular subset. What people are referring to is the trick of ensuring that you get dismissed from every subset you are called for during your allotted 2 or 3 in the pool.

• not to be newbie and contrarian and goodie two-shoed but what if it was your trial and your jury was compromised solely of retirees because nobody else had "time." is this what you would want?

i'd prefer a retiree to an apathetic person who didn't give a fuck about the case and just wanted to get out of there.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    SUMMONS FOR JURY SERVICE

Citacion de Jrado

SUPERIOR COURT OF CALIFORNIA

County of Riverside

*My name and address here:__________

You are summoned to appear for jury service beginning the week of 11/21/05

Indio Court, Jury Assembly room 213[/b]

fuck.

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    not to be newbie and contrarian and goodie two-shoed but what if it was your trial and your jury was compromised solely of retirees because nobody else had "time." is this what you would want?

i'd prefer a retiree to an apathetic person who didn't give a fuck about the case and just wanted to get out of there.

no i agree, i'd rather have a retiree rather than an apathetic person. but my point is that i wouldn't consider a panel full of white hair a jury of my "peers."

• So I went back for jury duty today (it was a DUI case) and the judge said, "Let's take a 30-minute recess."

90 minutes later, they call us back into the courtroom to tell us that the case has been resolved and that our jury duty is complete.

End of boring story.

• Excellent.