I have jury duty today.

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I'm supposed to report at 1:00. I really don't need this right now--way too much work to do and my company only covers 5 days of jury duty. This could be bad.Anyone got jury duty stories? Ones that involve getting out of said duty especially appreciated.Man, I knew I shouldn't have registered to vote.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I've only ever gone once. I've gotten out of it for like 7 years straight!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I'm exempt from that schitt.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    My english teacher in high school thinks being chosen or not to stay might depend on your appearance... i think the first time he dressed normal business attire and the second time more hickish and they asked him to stay the 2nd time.

sorry i can't help you, but i'm scheduled for next month.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I'm supposed to report at 1:00. I really don't need this right now--way too much work to do and my company only covers 5 days of jury duty. This could be bad.

Anyone got jury duty stories? Ones that involve getting out of said duty especially appreciated.

Man, I knew I shouldn't have registered to vote.

I've never been unfortunate enough to have to report, but I suppose if you act either slightly unhinged, strongly opinionated, or flat out nutz during your interview, they'll dismiss you as unfit.

Just a guess, though. Good luck!

SG

• I'm exempt from that schitt.

How and why? Is it because of your avatars?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm only 25 and I've been called to Jury duty 4 times (in 2 states)

only had to serve once and it wa only for a day.

during the 2 hour lunch break I found an outdoor mall with a record shop. I walked in and used my very best spanish to ask if they have any records (esta discos?)

they told me they stopped selling vinyl in the early 90's but they kept it all stored in the back.

Over the next 3 days Insulin and I proceeded to buy up thier stock and the stock of their 2 sister stores.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

How and why? Is it because of your avatars?
    you know the drill! seriously, it's because of what i do for a living.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Felony?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Take a stand... doesn't matter which side, but act completely illogical and ignorant. Works every time.

DJ Ferrari

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Don't say "I hate everybody" say "My ______ is a cop and I feel that cops always make the right moves."

T.N.

i think the first time he dressed normal business attire and the second time more hickish and they asked him to stay the 2nd time.

Damn...I guess he didn't go far enough with his hick-dressing ways.

How about wearing a t-shirt with some kind of offensive message on it?

SG

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    I'm supposed to report at 1:00. I really don't need this right now--way too much work to do and my company only covers 5 days of jury duty. This could be bad.

Anyone got jury duty stories? Ones that involve getting out of said duty especially appreciated.

well, generally... they will tell you what the infarction is beforehand.

then they go around and if you're one of lower numbered jurors, then you'll want to "not appeal" to either the prosecution or the defense.

so if the defense atty. asks you if you have ever been involved with/or knew somebody involved with drunk driving (if that was the infarction, for instance), then you would say, "Yes, I was arrested three times for drunk driving".. They are trying to get objective jurors (yeah, right) so you just have to not appeal to one side or the other.

• Don't say "I hate everybody" say "My ______ is a cop and I feel that cops always make the right moves."

T.N.

Ha! My father-in-law is a cop, but my coworker's dad is a cop and he said it didn't help him at all.

He recommends claiming membership in the ACLU or the NRA; I'm thinking of claiming both ("I shoot at Republicans!").

• Didn't Homer Simpson say "The key to getting out of jury duty is saying your prejudice against all races"?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I only got called for jury duty once and it was years ago while I was in college. I just went to the municipal court building and told the clerk that I was in school and I could not miss classes. Dude said ok, no problem you are dismissed. They did not ask for any proof that I was in school. Just tell them that you are in school if you want to get out of it.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

Come on now. Remember: vote or die!

I got out of it one time because I told them I was moving away for college (which was true). Although, I actually wanted to do it. Hoping that I would get a interesting case, but most likely it would have been wack anyway.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i just got out of it last week. i was on standby m-w and then they finally called me up for thursday. some dude said a muni bus tire rolled over his face about two blocks from where i live. they either dismissed me for that reason or because i have blue hair. i am relieved though because it was going to end on Nov 23 and my jobby only covers 5 days.

dodged a freaking bullet

the best thing to say if you want to get off however is not that you are racist or that you love guns, but that you have no faith in the criminal justice system. it's partly true for me so i don't feel bad about saying it

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    i think the first time he dressed normal business attire and the second time more hickish and they asked him to stay the 2nd time.

Damn...I guess he didn't go far enough with his hick-dressing ways.

How about wearing a t-shirt with some kind of offensive message on it?

SG

well, this is Virginia, so they want the hicks.

HoggyFogg: I'd like a bumper sticker that says: "I shoot at Republicans"

• let them know you know a lot about the topic at hand, even if you just know a little bit.
    i got called in for a case about two rich white dudes bickering over millions of dollars. they both worked for some telecommunications company. i told them my brother-in-law works for a telecommunications company and i'd learned about it through him, i'd done graphic design work for him, etc.

you're a writer, tell them you've done some published writing about whatever the case is about. they don't want anyone who knows too much about the case and might have a pre-formed opinion.

you're a writer, tell them you've done some published writing about whatever the case is about. they don't want anyone who knows too much about the case and might have a pre-formed opinion.

exactly. they don't want anyone informed, they want someone who is malleable. i really think that the more you talk, the less they want you.

• R*ss - do everything you can to get on the jury. Once there, refuse to be the last vote that makes the jury unanimous. Instead, convince the entire jury to your side. Then once you've convinced them, say "You know, I think you guys were right the first time" and change your vote.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    [
    exactly. they don't want anyone informed, they want someone who is malleable.

but why is that? I never understood that theory. Wouldnt you think that they would want informed people on the jury? There is a difference between being opinionated and educated.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    do everything you can to get on the jury.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

this does not work. I took great measures in trying this and registered in another state. The only thing that happened is I got a summons to be a juror in Nevada.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    [
    exactly. they don't want anyone informed, they want someone who is malleable.

but why is that? I never understood that theory. Wouldnt you think that they would want informed people on the jury? There is a difference between being opinionated and educated.

I think the word 'malleable' is a bit of a misnomer. 'Open-minded' is probably how the lawyers would put it, but being hard lined is probably the best way to stay off a jury. It's funny, when I was called in DC, the case was a fender-bender case(so stupid that these even get to a jury, IMO), and they asked the whole group of us if we knew any lawyers personally(friends or family who practiced). half of us raised our hands and were told we were free to go!

but

this does not work. I took great measures in trying this and registered in another state. The only thing that happened is I got a summons to be a juror in Nevada.

I heard that they now select possible jurors from DMV drivers license/State ID records now.

SG

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
    I got out last time because I drink beer and watch Giants games with the assistant D.A.

The lawyers for the case at hand thought that I might discuss the case with him at the pub over some pints

wasn't really trying to get out this time just telling the truth, funny how it works out sometimes.

-B-

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    I had jury duty for the first time two months ago and I got out of it by just saying, "I am going through some personal issues" when I was in the courtroom with the group of 30 potential jurors. I guess the only personal issue was being pissed that I wasnt being compensated for missing my damn work day. The judge didn't ask me what I meant by that and was excused. However, I was put back into the "pool" in the lobby at around noon. About two hours later, I was announced to be in another group that was to be excused for the day. This was on the Friday before Labor Day weekend.

ok maybe i am generalizing too much. from my own experience the last 3 times i have actually made it as far as the courtroom for jury selection, they have been accident cases. i tell them what i do for a living which is work in the practice area of personal injury & worker's compensation. you would think that they would pick me right? but i have been dismissed every time.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I just had Jury Duty a couple of weeks ago, you have to be pretty unlucky to be chosen because there are tons of people that turn up that first morning. Unfortunately I was unlucky & got selected for a 5 day rape trial, which was all in Japanese which meant I had to listen to everything twice. Fortunately the Judge threw it out after 3 days for insufficient evidence. I guess I was kinda lucky because some people got selected for a 5 week long fraud case, boring. But I was bummed because it was during my holidays.