Chaka Khan (RR)

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
So I have this corporate gig coming up (my first corporate gig), and I'm really happy to be booked to play a funk set (since a previous set was what got me this gig). Anyway, the organiser requested that in my set I include stuff by the Jacksons, Stevie Wonder and Chaka Khan. I got the first two covered, but I actually don't own and don't really know any Chaka Khan songs.I know this is hella little dude right hurr, but someone please school me. What do they want to hear me play?Yeah, I'm gonna go and school myself because the stuff isn't exactly hard to turn up, but some names of her big numbers would be helpful.Thanks in advance.

Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Can't think of those titles off the top of my head but they're maybe thinking of the stuff she did with Rufus. Any mid-price CD comp along the lines of Best of Rufus featuring Chaka Khan will throw up some gold. Not sure that Clouds, I'm Every Woman etc are dancefloor fillers although undoubtedly great tracks. Someone will disagree with me here though....

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    So I have this corporate gig coming up (my first corporate gig), and I'm really happy to be booked to play a funk set (since a previous set was what got me this gig). Anyway, the organiser requested that in my set I include stuff by the Jacksons, Stevie Wonder and Chaka Khan. I got the first two covered, but I actually don't own and don't really know any Chaka Khan songs.

I know this is hella little dude right hurr, but someone please school me. What do they want to hear me play?

Yeah, I'm gonna go and school myself because the stuff isn't exactly hard to turn up, but some names of her big numbers would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Rufus-Tell Me Something Good
    Chaka-I Feel For You
    Chaka-I'm Every Woman

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Thanks guys - that's very helpful.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Don't forget Ain't Nobody - Rufus feat Chaka Khan

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts

Rufus-Tell Me Something Good
    Chaka-I Feel For You
    Chaka-I'm Every Woman

exactly...

• --Rufus ft Chaka Khan--

Do You Love What You Feel?*

Ain't Nobody*

Tell Me Something Good*

Stop On By

Any Love*

Sweet Thing

Dance With Me

Once You Get Started

You've Got The Love

Hollywood

Please Pardon Me

--Chaka Khan (solo)--

I'm Every Woman*

Clouds*

I Know You, I Live You*

Papillon (aka Hot Butterfly)

This Is My Night

I Feel For You

Through The Fire

What'cha Gonna Do For Me?

* always work for me

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Papillon (aka Hot Butterfly)

Through The Fire

What'cha Gonna Do For Me?

Forgot about these! Good call!

• Options

I Know You, I Live You*

* always work for me

This song does it for me as well.

K.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    "Move Me No Mountain" from "Naughty" is dope. It's my favourite version of that song, too.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Make sure to play some hip hop steez

Chaka w/ De la - All Good

Chaka w/ Guru - Watch What You Say

Chaka w/ Melle Mel - I Feel For You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dunno if you could playem out tho... But play them in Ur MiNddddddd

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I always thought "Close the Door" was a good Chaka jam.

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    --Rufus ft Chaka Khan--

--Rufus ft Chaka Khan--

--Rufus ft Chaka Khan--

Also "At Midnight."

• Can't think of those titles off the top of my head but they're maybe thinking of the stuff she did with Rufus. Any mid-price CD comp along the lines of Best of Rufus featuring Chaka Khan will throw up some gold. Not sure that Clouds, I'm Every Woman etc are dancefloor fillers although undoubtedly great tracks. Someone will disagree with me here though....

haha...yeah, "clouds" and "i'm every woman" are massive dancefloor tracks! i'd recommend getting the self titled Chaka lp with "i know you i live you"...lots of good cuts on there...including the one that Daft Punk sampled for "the music sounds better with you".

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Can't think of those titles off the top of my head but they're maybe thinking of the stuff she did with Rufus. Any mid-price CD comp along the lines of Best of Rufus featuring Chaka Khan will throw up some gold. Not sure that Clouds, I'm Every Woman etc are dancefloor fillers although undoubtedly great tracks. Someone will disagree with me here though....

haha...yeah, "clouds" and "i'm every woman" are massive dancefloor tracks! i'd recommend getting the self titled Chaka lp with "i know you i live you"...lots of good cuts on there...including the one that Daft Punk sampled for "the music sounds better with you".

Wow, ur posting again?

Nice to see you back on.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    "Move Me No Mountain" from "Naughty" is dope. It's my favourite version of that song, too.

More vintage Chaka pics, plaese.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

More vintage Chaka pics, plaese.

Co-sign. If anyone has that centrespread from Creem sometime in '74, where she's naked in a glass bath filled with milk, scan that shit.

• 'Sweet Thing' end of night slow jam, lovely lovely track.

• One that hasn't been mentioned but i really dig is
    "love has fallen on me" nice break on it too
    Chick's love "I'm every woman" everytime i have played it out it gets a good response. It's a sisterhood anthem.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Thanks heaps everyone.

I have been to strut school.

• Chaka - Stay (it's on 45 as well)

• Magic in his eyes off the Ask Rufus LP, beautiful track, maybe not for a party..

What am I missing - Rufus and Chaka - Masterjam LP - Don't sleep..

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Magic in his eyes off the Ask Rufus LP, beautiful track, maybe not for a party..

What am I missing - Rufus and Chaka - Masterjam LP - Don't sleep..

In abundance in the Chi. A handful of those can be yours for about $3. There is an awesome instrumental on that album, Masterjam I mean.