Top Face Melters on the Album Download Thread?

13»

Comments

• edubedub 715 Posts
    the placebo album is fucking me up

c0-5!gn

can we get more Placebo, plaese!!?

• Bobby Hutcherson Now! and Arthur Verocai...very impressed. I'll post up Black Ruby Now.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    ...if most of you who are "not feeling" East of Underground came across that record for $5, knowing nothing about it, you would -pardon the expression- crap your pants.

I think it's funny how sensitive people are about this shit. At this point in time I really don't care about the rarity of a record, but rather how it sounds. I think EotU sounds very poorly recorded and mixed. If it had been done better, it would be a listenable album that I might pull out now and then. Certainly nothing I'd "crap my pants" over. I imagine that if I were privy to the back story and what not, I might be a little more interested. But having listened to it knowing nothing about it, I was disappointed in how it didn't live up to the hype.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    I tried to start a poll on the Placebo request, but I??m so stupid to do it properly.
    Can someone, please, start one for me? Thanks.

Peace

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ...if most of you who are "not feeling" East of Underground came across that record for $5, knowing nothing about it, you would -pardon the expression- crap your pants.

I think it's funny how sensitive people are about this shit. At this point in time I really don't care about the rarity of a record, but rather how it sounds. I think EotU sounds very poorly recorded and mixed. If it had been done better, it would be a listenable album that I might pull out now and then.

I have a true affection for raw recordings of covers of songs that I really like, so that LP just fits the bill. I find the recording quality to be one of it's charms...if it was all cleaned up, it would probably lose some of it's appeal to me

Not sensitive, just have a different approach than you.

I think it's funny how sensitive people are about this shit. At this point in time I really don't care about the rarity of a record, but rather how it sounds. I think EotU sounds very poorly recorded and mixed. If it had been done better, it would be a listenable album that I might pull out now and then.

I have a true affection for raw recordings of covers of songs that I really like, so that LP just fits the bill. I find the recording quality to be one of it's charms...if it was all cleaned up, it would probably lose some of it's appeal to me

Not sensitive, just have a different approach than you.

Sorry, I wasn't being very clear. I didn't think you were being sensitive. I was referring more to the guy who had to use bold text to tell me not to say anything that differed from his opinion.

I just quoted your statement because I thought it wasn't very accurate to assume that people didn't like that record out of some backlash to the hype. I think the great thing about MP3s is that they take all the inflated value out of records, leaving them to stand on their music alone.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    on the placebo "inner city blues" did i hear right that they saying "make me wanna hollar and cut off both my hands"?!!

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    hey twoply, don't say anything that differs from my opinion on East of Underground.[/b]

The album may not be the best recorded, but their song selection is killing it, their take on the songs are unique. The singing has a wealth of personality and soul, and the playing is top notch. There is not another LP quite like this. Especially when discussing funk LPs.

It's beautiful and has an intimate feel to it. Recording quality is not necessary for appreciating music.

That said, I hope the dude who has these tapes remasters it.

• Heaven & Earth - Refuge (ovation, 1973)[/b]

that's my favourite so far, i heard it the whole day.
    thanks for sharing it.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    on the placebo "inner city blues" did i hear right that they saying "make me wanna hollar and cut off both my hands"?!!

What I could understand was "make me wanna hollar and throw up all my hands", around 02:40 min. But my English is very bad, so maybe I misunderstood it.
    Anyway, that song is facking beautiful and

Peace

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Ball of Eyes is ridiculous.
    Wojciech Karolak is dope.
    Id be shitting my pants if i didnt allready have Arthur Verocai.
    "Sweet Bessie" off of the Air LP is like, the best shit around right now.
    I Love You off of EOU is melting my face.
    I think the James Tatum might blow me away. I havent really sunk my teeth in yet.
    The Gemini - Risin is shaking the grease off my Jheri Curl.

I still have a lot to download. This shit is awesome.

• Hey,

I posted that AIR LP and believe it or not that was an upgrade from my original rip! I would appreciate clean mp3's of it too...and don't have the means to rip vinyl at present.

Also, I agree the Amiri and Sun Ra is overated.

I was feeling the spontaneous outpouring of generosity, and these records: didier, lost generation, open sky unit, nick ayoub, and i'm sure many more by the time I get to page 14

-lauren

The Air LP is encoded pretty poorly, but Googie sounds good regardless. My copy is pretty beat so I can't encode it any better, but would greatly appreciate a better rip by anyone else who has it.

Of albums that I hadn't heard until this week - Barbara & Ernie and East of Underground have been repeated with the most frequency.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    hey twoply, don't say anything that differs from my opinion on East of Underground.[/b]

The album may not be the best recorded, but their song selection is killing it, their take on the songs are unique. The singing has a wealth of personality and soul, and the playing is top notch. There is not another LP quite like this. Especially when discussing funk LPs.

It's beautiful and has an intimate feel to it. Recording quality is not necessary for appreciating music.

That said, I hope the dude who has these tapes remasters it.

yes.

• Also, I agree the Amiri and Sun Ra is overated.
    definately. many thanks for posting it though, been waiting to hear that for a while.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    listening to that air album, i couldnt get passed the first track "realize", what i mean is, i heard that song and just set it on repeat all day. i still dont know what the rest of the album sounds like, i listened to that song like 65 times today...on the way to work, on the way back, and at home, right now. thanks.

with all the albums, its really tempting to be like a kid locked in a candy store about to consume everything in front of his eyes, and i'm really trying to just focus on one album at a time. i will answer the original question posed in this thread when im 136. that's like an album a year.

• listening to that air album, i couldnt get passed the first track "realize", what i mean is, i heard that song and just set it on repeat all day. i still dont know what the rest of the album sounds like, i listened to that song like 65 times today...on the way to work, on the way back, and at home, right now. thanks.

with all the albums, its really tempting to be like a kid locked in a candy store about to consume everything in front of his eyes, and i'm really trying to just focus on one album at a time. i will answer the original question posed in this thread when im 136. that's like an album a year.
    i hear you. it's real overwhelming. but then again, i'm a fiend.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    East of Underground, Larry T & The Family, and Webster Lewis all moved me.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    oh shit, auctionsniper!!... I get it!!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    You better believe it. I desire the authentic object now. Now. RIGHT now. Right...NOW!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    HOT

Albums that I enjoyed, that I had not heard prior to this thread[/b]

-Aguaturbia

I'm listening to this right now. I'm a fan of the OG Crimson and Clover, regardless of how schmaltzy it may be, but this version kicks its ass!

• i think that east of underground is pretty damn hot. very genuine soul, imho. does anyone have a better scan of the cover? thanks in advance.

i think alot of what has been shared is cool. this whole idea of posting albums is real cool. i plan to add my contribution/s soon. i promise.

to future album sharers: organization is so fucking necessary. five extra minutes to make sure mp3 tag info is correct on your end will save everyone else from having to do this shit later. and, seriously, anything below 192kbits/sec is pretty weak. i like my cymbals to sound halfway worth a shit, thank you:)

but regardless of my grumbling, i still appreciate everyone who posted an album i downloaded (whether i liked it or not). i'm a lurker and i prolly need to shut the fuck up already. sorry about the rant.

Now that I've had time to go through more of these albums, I have to say whoever was suggesting we focus on what we do like, rather than what we don't, was on the right track. I've got too much amazing music to worry about anything else right now.

So far I'm amazed with:

Aguaturbia
    Aurthur Verocai
    Azimuth
    Barney Wilen
    Black Ruby
    Bonga Kuenda
    Chaotica
    Chico Buarque & Maria Bethania
    Dudley Moore Trio
    Francis Lai
    Heaven & Earth
    Psycheground
    Ralfi Pagan
    Robotobibok
    Cannibus OST
    Wendy & Bonnie
    Wilburn Burchette (although I already own a skated copy of this)

And I still have at least 3x as many to listen to!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I need this authentic object in my life.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Co-siggy on the AGUATURBIA.

That shit has been loosening the solidity of my bowels while at the same time inducing a subtle hemorraging through my anus.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Arthur verocai and gal costa are mindblowing

However the Passport (german jazz cd) bits ive heard are sick dont sleep on it

Many thanks to all ive been preparing this black-revolution type record and these psych/social songs are great insperation