Weekend Finds? RR I GUESS

Comments

• you need to be up on these subgenres sine you have a store!

boogie...disco post-1980 or so...you know it when you hear it.

No I'm just fucking with you. Yeah, it's a "boogie" joint.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    from the last week:

well chuffed with the peter gaudion, a mighty solid local jazz album
    the trio is a restaurant record from sydney, tony ansell + george golla

45's are the nicole willis on timmion & 2 o.v wrights, ace of spade and blind crippled & crazy

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    the people make the world go around cover that that gaudion is dope...

peace.

• edig, just this one Chano Scotty boogaloo Musicor heater. Some snappy druming!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Drew Ski:

Did you like this? I found a re-issue for a buck (meh) and was thinking it was going to be that heat but I just ended up rather dissapointed. I'd figure I'd ask for your input because I think you have one the better musical tastes on the board.

This is a incredible album to me - on of my absolute favorites. It really does epitomize Detroit, even in terms of the (and as the liner notes explain), hard as fuck cover art juxtaposed with the utterly emotive music. If you've ever been to Detroit, this will make perfect sense.

I think you should give it another listen.

• ddrew, ythis reallyt isnt about weekend finds...but you and mills murdered shit on the soundsystem. it was sounding so damn good and soulful. tonyd had my neck snapalapping with the hiphop thunder too.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

edig, just this one Chano Scotty boogaloo Musicor heater. Some snappy druming!

Hey Vega, you didn't peep the Latin/Tropical collectors fair in midtown? I might have missed the finds but prices were and the only good records were Rican, Cuban and Newyorican usual suspects, none of the shit I was looking for. Grabbed mainly familiar cheapies, Ex-ing up. Sorry, camera battery is kaput.

The girl on top has very low body fat.

• Nah I didn't make it. Was Chino from Funk Mart there? He brought serious heat last year. That Together joint is worth the admission price alone, bad ass! Did you stay for the band?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I found quite a few sealed Light label and assorted Christian LPs at the thrift today, but these are the ones I took (some at least for the covers)...

The one on the top left is Chicago-based folk rock which includes jazz guitarist Ron Steele. The one below it is an anti-Vietnam War choir deal. The one with the blue wave is spoken word radio spots that say things like "The Bel Air Presbyterian Church presents to you a man walking to a store to buy a Bible" or "Jose is an outlaw who put down his gun to pick up a Bible and learn about Jesus"

If you don't "feel" that Jonathan & Charles you can get about 30-40 bucks on eBay for it.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Do mp3s downloaded from the album upload thread count as "weekend finds"?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    If you don't "feel" that Jonathan & Charles you can get about 30-40 bucks on eBay for it.

The store I work at threw one up and it went for under $10... it was decent for it what it was but not something I'd listen to more than once or twice (you'll see it listed as 'Xian Folk Psych' which is a real stretch... nothing remotely psychedelic on there)

• got this

and a few others off ebay lately.

cymande s/t
    cool breeze ost
    superfly tnt ost (thanks trew)
    etc.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

The store I work at threw one up and it went for under $10...

hmmm... I just sold one for like 42, and I think nrich just sold one for maybe 38 - both within the last month.

it was decent for it what it was but not something I'd listen to more than once or twice (you'll see it listed as 'Xian Folk Psych' which is a real stretch... nothing remotely psychedelic on there)

I agree. I listened to mine once. It's not bad, but not really that good either.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

The store I work at threw one up and it went for under $10...

hmmm... I just sold one for like 42, and I think nrich just sold one for maybe 38 - both within the last month.

Figures- we end up letting stuff go for lowball offers all the time, crappy luck I suppose...

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

James Blood- Tales of Captain Black LP (2nd copy)
    Richard "Groove" Holmes- Soul Message LP (stereo, dark blue labels)
    Quatermass- S/T LP (Harvest labels)
    Eugene McDaniels- Outlaw LP
    The Delfonics- La-La Means I Love You/Can't Get Over Losing You 45 (Philly Groove Records)
    Funkadelic- Can You Get to That/Back in Our Minds 45 (Westbound)
    Funkadelic- I've Got a Thing, You've Got a Thing, Everybody's Got a Thing/Fish, Chips & Sweat 45 (Westbound)
    Funkadelic- You and Your Folks, Me and My Folks/Funky Dollar Bill 45 (Westbound)
    The Counts- Thinking Single/Why Not Start All Over Again 45 (Westbound)
    Swamp Dogg- Sam Stone/Knowing I'm Pleasing Me and You 45 (Cream)
    Cliff Nobles- Love is All Right/The Horse 45 (Phil-L.A. of Soul)
    The Originals- I'm Someone Who Cares Mono/Stereo 45 (Soul)- white label DJ copy
    Ralph MacDonald- Jam on the Groove/Sound of a Drum 45 (Marlin)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    What's up with the Quatermass? Looks progish with promise...

"Quatermass & the Pit" is a pretty ill Hammer Films movie from the 60's.

yeah man it's British prog from 1970...haven't listened to it yet but I've heard good things.

yeah man it's British prog from 1970...haven't listened to it yet but I've heard good things.

It's also a $300 LP

yeah I saw that...it's also sold for considerably less than that, but still $10 well spent I think since it's in great shape. I'm guessing I'm gonna like it and keep it though.

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    yeah I saw that...it's also sold for considerably less than that, but still $10 well spent I think since it's in great shape. I'm guessing I'm gonna like it and keep it though.

that is definitely a find if i ever heard one. and i thought my "root down" for 15 last week was a steal...

nothing huge this week, aside from the awesome album thread.

budka suflera - przechodniem by?em mi?dzy wami (polish prog? fluctuates between funky and 70s tight-jeans rock. overall pretty interesting with a break here and there)

keith fullerton whitman - schoner flussengel (on sale at amoeba. the hrvatski album melted teh face so hard i had to check out what this guy did since them)

kraftwerk - the man machine (i can't believe i didn't have this yet)

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

free word audio cleaning cloth

krudmart, word up

word, tip o' the iceberg

thanks for playing, have a fun week on the strut!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I haven't bought records in a while so even though these aren't really "finds", I need to post something:

Keak Da Sneak - Super Hyphie 12" (suprised to find this here)

Ghostface - Be Easy 12"

Juelz Santana - Mic Check 12"

Cee-Lo - Happy Hour 12"

D4L - Laffy Taff 12"

Cam'ron - Something New 12" (fucking TV tracks)

Slim Thug - Incredible Feelin' 12"

E-40 - Quarterbackin' 12"

Luniz - I Got 5 On It 12"

Quantic Soul Orchestra - Take Your Time, Change Your Mind 12"

Plaid - Double Figure LP

Steve Spacek - Let the Dollar Circulate 12"

Four Tet - Everything Ecstatic LP

Dr. Dre - Dre Day 12"

Biggie - Party and Bullshit 12" (never played)

Donovan - Like It Is LP

Paul Wall - They Don't Know 12"

Aphex Twin - Xylem Tube EP

Aphex Twin - Digeridoo 12"

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    weekend digs and 2 ebay scores:

Aussie digs, including a spare of the getting-a-lot-more-expensive Joyce Hurley LP. Hollar if you got trades.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

free word audio cleaning cloth

krudmart, word up

word, tip o' the iceberg

thanks for playing, have a fun week on the strut!

where can i get one of those dip shirts?

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    sunday's finds:

grant green- does anybody really know what time it is? blue note
    eddie and betty- saturday night fish fry- wb

lps

james brown- get on the good foot- polydor
    donny hathoway- live- atco
    black heat- atlantic
    the billy cobham/ george duke band- live on tour in europe- wb
    george benson- body talk- cti
    jack mcduff- kisses- sugarhill

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Filling in a few gaps for bargain prices:

The Great Adventures of Slick Rick
    Eric B. and Rakin - Paid in Full
    Brothers Johnson - Strawberry Letter/Get the Funk Out Ma Face (Special red vinyl 12)
    King Tee - Dippin'/Duck 12
    Rollerball OST
    Gil Scott-Heron - Bridges
    Delegation - Promise of Love

• Baltimore digs:

Nice folk rock record with some psych touches. I already had an excellent 45 from it, and was glad to find the LP.

Really very good acid rock LP, highly recommended.

Awesome LP from the 1973 tour of Japan - features a lot of the "second generation" Temps, but still a great performance featuring lots of their best, later era material. Never released on vinyl in the USA, originally only in Japan, and this is a Dutch pressing from 1975. Copped for a fin.